Membership cost increase

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Whilst I completely agree with you, it’s in the articles of association that a levy can be proposed, put to a vote and and if the majority of members vote yes, everyone has to pay it. I voted no but unfortunately we lost 4-1. Pretty annoying that loads of those who were against it just didn’t bother turning up to vote.

I did cover this at the time, but basically the ‘previous board’ messed up the finances, tied us into an extortionate energy contract, other mistakes, poor management, poor cost control etc, and the long and short of it was that they needed the £100 to keep the lights on. This was all after land was sold which generated something like 300k. We all felt that the £100 should’ve come out of that as a one off, but the board were adamant it was being kept for course improvements only. To be fair, they have started the course improvements, time will tell how far it goes.

My concern now is that if loads leave as a result of the fee going up by 23%, then where does that leave the rest of us who stay. Will the new fee generate enough income or will they be asking for another levy. The agm is next Thursday, will be quite firey I think. They had to postpone it and have since asked us to email our questions in advance to allow them to prepare, and also to allow everyone to get a word in.

Don’t know if I should be saying all of this on here, my user name isn’t exactly covert, and our incoming captain is an infrequent poster on here, but there you go, it’s done now!

You know just to play devils wotsit… The fella said he wouldn’t pay the levy because he didn’t intend to renew when the next year started (does that mean if he was renewing he would’ve paid)

But up until the membership expires doesn’t he retain his member responsibilities and has it happens a levy fee has come up in the very twilight of his tenure but he’s decided to drop those responsibilities (even though the cause/need for the levy occurred during his period of responsibility)

I doubt the vote to impose the levy had a clause to say, don’t bother to pay if you won’t be renewing next year, but maybe he thinks it should’ve

Either way the issue and coverage isn't good (for either)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You know just to play devils wotsit… The fella said he wouldn’t pay the levy because he didn’t intend to renew when the next year started (does that mean if he was renewing he would’ve paid)

But up until the membership expires doesn’t he retain his member responsibilities and has it happens a levy fee has come up in the very twilight of his tenure but he’s decided to drop those responsibilities (even though the cause/need for the levy occurred during his period of responsibility)

I doubt the vote to impose the levy had a clause to say, don’t bother to pay if you won’t be renewing next year, but maybe he thinks it should’ve

Either way the issue and coverage isn't good (for either)
Oh yeh, 100%, everyone had to pay the levy if it was voted in, and it was, them’s the rules. But for the sake of £100 it seems pointless, with no winners. If 20 people have done the same thing, it still doesn’t seem worth the hassle and bad publicity, in my view. Particularly irksome when you factor in the course being partially closed for 99% or the time since the levy became due for payment.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Oh yeh, 100%, everyone had to pay the levy if it was voted in, and it was, them’s the rules. But for the sake of £100 it seems pointless, with no winners. If 20 people have done the same thing, it still doesn’t seem worth the hassle and bad publicity, in my view. Particularly irksome when you factor in the course being partially closed for 99% or the time since the levy became due for payment.

Yeah I get it. And we don’t know how many dissenters there were and how many of them paid up based on the ‘threat’ of bans/repercussions. There might still be a group holding back hundreds (thousands) of £'s or he could be last man standing

I can only hope you guys have a cracking course to play on this season

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Doesn't affect me, but I've just realised that our place has scrapped the senior rate, so anyone 60+ wishing to remain a full member is seeing a 64% increase.
It's as if they're actively trying to kill the place.

And why shouldn’t they pay the same fees? Most are mortgage free at that age and playing 3-4 days a week. Even at full rate they will still get the best value.

You have to consider the pipeline coming through, big mortgages with large child care costs etc.

The option is everyone sees a 10-15% increase and will bitch about that too, ultimately in your area or could have a real impact.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
And why shouldn’t they pay the same fees? Most are mortgage free at that age and playing 3-4 days a week. Even at full rate they will still get the best value.

You have to consider the pipeline coming through, big mortgages with large child care costs etc.

The option is everyone sees a 10-15% increase and will bitch about that too, ultimately in your area or could have a real impact.
You're assuming it's a stereotypical middle-class kind of golf club. It's not. Until this sudden price hike it was a cheap and cheerful place. Many of the members are not well off, mortgage free retirees.
We have put up with the course being a bit 💩 because it was cheap. It's no longer cheap, so many are off to where it's more expensive but much better quality.
Some of the members may not be able to afford the jump in price, never mind a jump to a better course. I find that a bit of a shame.

sunshine

Visit site
The “Golf Coast” is arguably the biggest ripoff in the country, maybe in all of Britain and Ireland.

Expensive links, limited choice, long waiting lists, not much good golf outside the top courses.

Obviously just my view, but I do live here!

Even the parklands aren’t very good, yet most are over £1k fees here in Merseyside 🤯

The visitor green fees for the top courses are eye watering, but there is a great range of courses, and very cheap membership fees.

sunshine

Visit site
where are the very cheap membership fees and how do I get them :ROFLMAO:

How much does it cost to be a member at Hoylake? I bet it's a bargain, most Open rota courses are amazing value for members. Of course getting in is a challenge.

S&A was about £1300 only 3 or 4 years ago. I know a member at Formby and it is not expensive, and I only paid £20 as his guest.

RedEyes

Visit site
I’m at North Wales in Llandudno. Happy to take forummers and others for games this season.

Played Huyton a couple of years ago in summer. It’s a nice course though I understand just how average most inland courses are around here sadly.

It’s links or bust mostly, yet the links have long waiting lists and ridiculous joining fees!
I wouldn't mind taking you up on that offer in the summer, I have a caravan in North Wales so it would be perfect.
Obviously if you fancy a round at H&P I'll be happy to reciprocate.

Last edited:

The Lion

Visit site
How much does it cost to be a member at Hoylake? I bet it's a bargain, most Open rota courses are amazing value for members. Of course getting in is a challenge.

S&A was about £1300 only 3 or 4 years ago. I know a member at Formby and it is not expensive, and I only paid £20 as his guest.

They’re expensive now from what I know.

Hillside (2023)
JF: £5040
6 Day: £1450

S&A (2020)
JF: £2500
6 Day: £1350

Wallasey (2020)
JF: £2686
7 Day: £1338

That’s the latest info I have. Hillside in particular have doubled that JF since Covid. The others will have hiked quite a bit too.

Any idea about Formby?

sunshine

Visit site
They’re expensive now from what I know.

Hillside (2023)
JF: £5040
6 Day: £1450

S&A (2020)
JF: £2500
6 Day: £1350

Wallasey (2020)
JF: £2686
7 Day: £1338

That’s the latest info I have. Hillside in particular have doubled that JF since Covid. The others will have hiked quite a bit too.

Any idea about Formby?
Those prices are really cheap! Bargains

(apart from the Hillside JF)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whilst I completely agree with you, it’s in the articles of association that a levy can be proposed, put to a vote and and if the majority of members vote yes, everyone has to pay it. I voted no but unfortunately we lost 4-1. Pretty annoying that loads of those who were against it just didn’t bother turning up to vote.

I did cover this at the time, but basically the ‘previous board’ messed up the finances, tied us into an extortionate energy contract, other mistakes, poor management, poor cost control etc, and the long and short of it was that they needed the £100 to keep the lights on. This was all after land was sold which generated something like 300k. We all felt that the £100 should’ve come out of that as a one off, but the board were adamant it was being kept for course improvements only. To be fair, they have started the course improvements, time will tell how far it goes.

My concern now is that if loads leave as a result of the fee going up by 23%, then where does that leave the rest of us who stay. Will the new fee generate enough income or will they be asking for another levy. The agm is next Thursday, will be quite firey I think. They had to postpone it and have since asked us to email our questions in advance to allow them to prepare, and also to allow everyone to get a word in.

Don’t know if I should be saying all of this on here, my user name isn’t exactly covert, and our incoming captain is an infrequent poster on here, but there you go, it’s done now!
The fee increase got voted in unfortunately, £1475 from £1200. As much I love the course during the good weather, and I’m in with a good bunch of lads, I’m struggling to justify paying that for a course that really struggles in the wet. Appreciate most courses have struggled but we struggle more than most, we’ve had winter rules since October and no end in sight for that or getting back to 18 holes. According to the head of greens last night, the bottom of the course (3 holes) is like a marsh, they can’t get mowers to it and we haven’t got the money to sort the drainage out.

I’ve got some thinking to do. I played bewdley pines last week to see what it’s like. It was bone dry, shoes and trousers were spotless and my trolley looked like it had had a clean! It’s £1050 a year, pretty much year round golf and I know a few lads there. My only reservation is that it’s privately owned rather than member owned, and at its peak it’s not as nice as Kidderminster. However, Kidderminster is probably only in top condition 7-8 months a year at most.

My wife says it’s just a field, pick one! As flippant as that is, she’s probably right.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The fee increase got voted in unfortunately, £1475 from £1200. As much I love the course during the good weather, and I’m in with a good bunch of lads, I’m struggling to justify paying that for a course that really struggles in the wet. Appreciate most courses have struggled but we struggle more than most, we’ve had winter rules since October and no end in sight for that or getting back to 18 holes. According to the head of greens last night, the bottom of the course (3 holes) is like a marsh, they can’t get mowers to it and we haven’t got the money to sort the drainage out.

I’ve got some thinking to do. I played bewdley pines last week to see what it’s like. It was bone dry, shoes and trousers were spotless and my trolley looked like it had had a clean! It’s £1050 a year, pretty much year round golf and I know a few lads there. My only reservation is that it’s privately owned rather than member owned, and at its peak it’s not as nice as Kidderminster. However, Kidderminster is probably only in top condition 7-8 months a year at most.

My wife says it’s just a field, pick one! As flippant as that is, she’s probably right.
The main reason Me, Fragger and CVG moved to Ellesborough was for year round golf...
Granted it's more expensive but we've been closed for 1 day this winter and that was due to storm damage not rain.
We've been Carry only, on and off, for a while now but the course is open and , if we want, we can play it.
Previous clubs have been closed for extended periods or have been open when they really shouldn't be..and damaging the course as a result.
Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.
Not much beats being able to play 365 days a year.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ours just hit, £1995 which includes union fees, £50 bar levy and vouchers booklet and also the interest via the monthly payment scheme.

in the grand of it its £8 addition per month, given that there is an ongoing improvement plan and we only closed 6 days the entire winter it’s the best VFM in the area.

The Lion

Visit site
Ours just hit, £1995 which includes union fees, £50 bar levy and vouchers booklet and also the interest via the monthly payment scheme.

in the grand of it its £8 addition per month, given that there is an ongoing improvement plan and we only closed 6 days the entire winter it’s the best VFM in the area.
Which course is that; Addington maybe?