Membership cost increase

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's horrendous, was it a members club or proprietary? I think you could argue to get your credits back as they've discontinued the membership you joined under.

members club. Shocked by it and had a heated chat to zero affect along the lines of "that was last year's deal and this is the new one". Beyond annyed

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
If members don't have a say what is the point of a members Club?
We vote in a board to make such decisions. In my view as long as the board is consulting and taking all available information into account I believe they are best placed to make these decisions. Too much self interests involved in letting members decide. If we don't like the way the club is run then we can vote another board in to do it better.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also, I might add, they have got the amounts wrong. That's huge jump from intermediate to full. I'd expect most not to continue as members with that sort of hike in costs

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My mate lives near Swindon and is a Country Member at Royal St David's. Costs him £360 and he can have his handicap there.

He goes up there about 10 times a year.

He abandoned Membership of his local club which was over £1200 and plays lots of opens in the season. He said it's muddy for 4 months of the year, so why bother?

He plays as a guest with his mates if and when he feels like it.

I'm starring to come round to his way of thinking. Especially if you're retired and not limited to playing weekends

Increased price of local course prompted the change.

Visit site
Also, I might add, they have got the amounts wrong. That's huge jump from intermediate to full. I'd expect most not to continue as members with that sort of hike in costs

It’s a really difficult conversation. I firmly believe the club should extend intermediate to age 35, in line with local, similarly ranked clubs. I think anyone with a wife/kids would have to give up the golf, and with it costing £6k to rejoin, I don’t think you would ever see them again - and ultimately that’s the future membership. However, the old boys don’t like “subsidising” younger golfers when most of the 30-35s have brand new custom fitted clubs, a flash Merc/Audi/BMW, a house etc.

But then those same old boys don’t have a mortgage to pay and are sat on their final salary pensions 😂

My numbers are correct to the penny

However, the full membership cost (and joining fee) is totally normal for Surrey and for a highly ranked course so it’s not out of step with competitors.

Genu9

Visit site
It’s a really difficult conversation. I firmly believe the club should extend intermediate to age 35, in line with local, similarly ranked clubs. I think anyone with a wife/kids would have to give up the golf, and with it costing £6k to rejoin, I don’t think you would ever see them again - and ultimately that’s the future membership. However, the old boys don’t like “subsidising” younger golfers when most of the 30-35s have brand new custom fitted clubs, a flash Merc/Audi/BMW, a house etc.

But then those same old boys don’t have a mortgage to pay and are sat on their final salary pensions 😂

However, the full membership cost (and joining fee) is totally normal for Surrey and for a highly ranked course so it’s not out of step with competitors.
Instead of having a huge step, it should be phased in starting at 28 thru 33 so that you are then on full from 34.

Taking that big hit isn't attracting new members.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Hindhead is definitely worth the money.

I think it’s hard to justify subsidising an over 30’s age group when they essentially enjoy full membership rights, and typically are playing peak times over the weekend.

Mandofred

Visit site
I doubt I'd be playing golf....if I had to pay what some people are paying. I can afford it.....but I can afford an £8 pint of beer as well...just not going to pay that much for it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I doubt I'd be playing golf....if I had to pay what some people are paying. I can afford it.....but I can afford an £8 pint of beer as well...just not going to pay that much for it.
Problem is…if you have been a member of golf clubs much of your life and golf club membership is part of what you do and an important element of your identity, then in Surrey/Hants/Berks £2k plus is what you are likely going to have to pay to be a member of a decent members club.

I pay it…but then I don’t spend money on fancy cars, clothes or tech, and I don‘t pay to play or watch any other sport/activity. I remain pragmatic and sanguine about it.

Mandofred

Visit site
Problem is…if you have been a member of golf clubs much of your life and golf club membership is part of what you do and an important element of your identity, then in Surrey/Hants/Berks £2k plus is what you are likely going to have to pay to be a member of a decent members club.

I pay it…but then I don’t spend money on fancy cars, clothes or tech, and I don‘t pay to play or watch any other sport/activity. I remain pragmatic and sanguine about it.
I understand that...I'm one of those people who have switched clubs a couple of times in recent years because of things I didn't like. I get the "it's my club and I'm sticking with it" opinion. There is just a certain amount of money I will give to my club (or beer :)).... Ifff, my club suddenly doubled membership fees....I could afford it....but would I pay it?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I actually stopped my membership at the end of November - had a few things going on which I expected to impact on golf, and fancied a break. There'd also been a hint of changes coming...
A 30% increase!
To be fair it was very good value previously, if you accepted it as a hotel course and not a proper club. They had also started on needed improvements.
But do wonder if would had been better to phase the cost increases in over the improvement work time frame. Be interesting to follow the reactions. Plus I need to see if I regain the bug, and make a decision myself.