Membership cost increase

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One of the reasons I left my last club was because of decisions that had big consequences for the members were being made without input. The input eventually started to happen, but only after a LOT of people started demanding to know what was going on.
I think it’s important for the board of a members club to appreciate that while some decisions they have to make may appear relatively insignificant and therefore within their remit to decide with minimal recourse to the views of the membership, some of these decisions may well feel very important to some members.

It’s just the nature of us humans. We all take slightly different views on what is important and significant, and what is not. It’s a tricky balancing act because a membership elects members to a board to make decisions on behalf of the membership as well as looking after the best interests of the club and the membership. And sometimes a board will get that wrong. Transparency, clarity and openness about the decision making remains key. I believe that my club and board try very hard on that, but still of course members will moan and bicker. And that’s fine, because that’s life - and it indicates that the membership cares about their club.

Albo

Visit site
My (members) club is in the process of deciding what to do about our ageing and rather limited clubhouse. Nothing was off the table. All options considered. Impacts on members assessed - risk, cost and disruption etc. during any refurb/build and ongoing impact on membership in respect of paying for it, risk to financial stability, predictions on future membership and subs etc.

So VERY significant decision to be made.

So who makes it? We the members do. Special meeting called for board (members) to present why we need to do something and risks of not doing anything, then present the findings of a long period of working through options with planning, architects, interior designers, financing to lay out the options and make recommendations to membership. Feedback called for, summarised and provided back to us. And we - the members - are now voting on whether or not we accept the board recommendation.

We could say No. And if we did then the recommendation would be shelved and we’d go back to the drawing board. Nothing will be imposed.

But whatever decision is made it is the members who will make it and so it is the members who will OWN the decision and all that might subsequently happen in respect of, such as, any need to increase membership numbers and membership costs.

For me, in a members club this is what ownership means, and it’s nothing at all to do with whether or not I can sell my share.
I can totally see that. I am seeing that to some people that sort of side to their membership means a lot and will give them, as you say, ownership of the outcome.
From my own point of view, I don’t think I’d get involved or even vote on the outcome. I’m just not personally invested enough in the whole thing.
If I didn’t like the net outcome of whatever decision were made my vote would be with my feet.
I am A member of a golf club for the 18 holes, if I feel the price I am paying for the condition and access I get to those 18 holes is worth the money they want each year then I’ll stay a member, if that balance tips for any reason I’ll walk to the next place.
Being able to vote on the outcome of matters such as that doesn’t add any value for me personally.
But stories like that help my understanding of what a members club is and when we talk about ownership what that means. So thank you

D-S

Visit site
Our electricity price is fixed until September, quotes so far for a one year fix for the next 12 months are 60k higher.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ours is going up £35, that's 5%.
…and £35 would be 2% for me. Now your £35 will be worth the same as my £35 and so when looking at membership increases I feel we should be quoting money not %.

If my subs went up 5% that would be an extra £90+ I’d have to find. And they’d be getting awfully close to the £2k mark…

Hopefully as energy cost increases will be the same for all clubs across the country the ££ increases to subs to cover should be the same.

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
…and £35 would be 2% for me. Now your £35 will be worth the same as my £35 and so when looking at membership increases I feel we should be quoting money not %.

If my subs went up 5% that would be an extra £90+ I’d have to find. And they’d be getting awfully close to the £2k mark…

Hopefully as energy cost increases will be the same for all clubs across the country the ££ increases to subs to cover should be the same.
+ club and area.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

Surely any energy cost increases for clubs will be a similar percentage, not a similar £. Just like households clubs will have different energy requirements and therefore increases will be a percentage of that need. Perhaps I am missing something there.

Additionally, energy prices are not the only golf club expense that is rising, fertiliser costs are up around 25% from a year ago, and it is increasingly difficult to attract staff so those costs will also be on the rise. Again £ costs will be linked to need so will be a similar percentage across clubs and not £.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never understood why people who work for NHS, Police etc get big reductions in things like gym fees......seniors, same thing.
Big reductions? I've been a fire fighter for 16 years and I've yet to see these big reductions. 10% is standard but even then its only on "full price goods". Dominos pizza is probably our biggest friend ??.
As for why? I think it makes the company look like they care and it gets the business of all the health services and emergency sector.

Mandofred

Visit site
Big reductions? I've been a fire fighter for 16 years and I've yet to see these big reductions. 10% is standard but even then its only on "full price goods". Dominos pizza is probably our biggest friend ??.
As for why? I think it makes the company look like they care and it gets the business of all the health services and emergency sector.
But again.....why only for "some" people? I'm thinking about joining a gym near the golf course....about £100 a month. I consider a 10% discount from that to be a pretty big reduction. Not amazing.....but a decent amount of money. Why can't the cashier at Asda get that discount?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
But again.....why only for "some" people? I'm thinking about joining a gym near the golf course....about £100 a month. I consider a 10% discount from that to be a pretty big reduction. Not amazing.....but a decent amount of money. Why can't the cashier at Asda get that discount?
They could, if the company (Asda in your eg) bothered their arse about staff benefits and doing deals with companies such as gym owners. But they don't, cos they're corporate thieving bassas

D

Deleted member 15344

surely it’s nice and easy to understand

A lot of the people that get discounts are people who are either

Saving lives or protecting lives and businesses think that they maybe should get small rewards for a job that at times doesn’t pay a great deal

Military
Police
Nurses
Fireman
RNLI

Etc

They are guys and girls doing a very public service

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Correct, hence rises shown should be in pounds, as the bottom line will be different depending on the cost base of the club, which is what SILH has said
That's not how I read it, His last sentence says that increases in subs should be the same in £ across the board. If costs go up in % then I would expect subs to go up in %.

Mandofred

Visit site
They could, if the company (Asda in your eg) bothered their arse about staff benefits and doing deals with companies such as gym owners. But they don't, cos they're corporate thieving bassas
I used to get the occasional discount....I worked for the US Dept of Defense (civilian) and had a military ID card, so was able to get reduced motel fees etc. There was no good reason for me to have this benefit....I did use it once in a while....but always just shook my head and wondered why.

surely it’s nice and easy to understand

A lot of the people that get discounts are people who are either

Saving lives or protecting lives and businesses think that they maybe should get small rewards for a job that at times doesn’t pay a great deal

Military
Police
Nurses
Fireman
RNLI

Etc

They are guys and girls doing a very public service
They are getting paid for doing their jobs. Some of these people are paid pretty decently, some not so much.....but basically you choose to do these jobs. Again.....why is someone who works at Asda (or zillions of other necessary jobs) not getting discounts? Yes, I do understand that some large companies arrange deals with public businesses....I get that....I don't always agree with it, but I understand how it works. Actually, I'm more wondering why anybody should get discounts just for working. You disagree......I can live with that. I hope you can accept the fact that I don't agree with that and that doesn't necessarily make me wrong......I don't think you are wrong for thinking it is fine to give these discounts. I just think they are unfair.

D

Deleted member 15344

I used to get the occasional discount....I worked for the US Dept of Defense (civilian) and had a military ID card, so was able to get reduced motel fees etc. There was no good reason for me to have this benefit....I did use it once in a while....but always just shook my head and wondered why.

They are getting paid for doing their jobs. Some of these people are paid pretty decently, some not so much.....but basically you choose to do these jobs. Again.....why is someone who works at Asda (or zillions of other necessary jobs) not getting discounts? Yes, I do understand that some large companies arrange deals with public businesses....I get that....I don't always agree with it, but I understand how it works. Actually, I'm more wondering why anybody should get discounts just for working. You disagree......I can live with that. I hope you can accept the fact that I don't agree with that and that doesn't necessarily make me wrong......I don't think you are wrong for thinking it is fine to give these discounts. I just think they are unfair.

Surely you can see the difference why people will look to give something extra to people who put their lives on the line for us all ?‍♂️

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
£100 a month!!!! If you've got the money to spend a £100 a month on a gym then you don't need a discount. On my salary I can only afford my £22 a month membership. Perhaps the answer to your question is in plain sight ?‍♂️

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

You're reading a lot into it. It's just a thank you thats all. A thank you for walking across a field in Afghanistan next to IED'S for 25k a year. A thank you for running into a burning building when people are running out. Yes it's our "choice" but there's nothing wrong with a token guesture. Do you begrudge a waiter getting a tip? Why don't I get a tip for cutting a person out of a car?.
The guys I manage put themselves at risk to make sure people like you are safe. Sure we get paid but people who do these jobs listed by LiverpoolPhil very seldomly do it for a the money.
The emergency services are in an utter state and the money is now so low thats its struggling to attract the right sort of person. Anything that can make these jobs appealing and make the staff feel appreciated is a good thing at the moment.

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
You're reading a lot into it. It's just a thank you thats all. A thank you for walking across a field in Afghanistan next to IED'S for 25k a year. A thank you for running into a burning building when people are running out. Yes it's our "choice" but there's nothing wrong with a token guesture. Do you begrudge a waiter getting a tip? Why don't I get a tip for cutting a person out of a car?.
The guys I manage put themselves at risk to make sure people like you are safe. Sure we get paid but people who do these jobs listed by LiverpoolPhil very seldomly do it for a the money.
The emergency services are in an utter state and the money is now so low thats its struggling to attract the right sort of person. Anything that can make these jobs appealing and make the staff feel appreciated is a good thing at the moment.
You have read my meaning in the posts completely wrong....

Evidently I'm explaining myself badly (normal)......I'm not against somebody getting something like a 10% discount at a gym (although I do wonder why anybody gets them).....I'm against somebody getting one while other deserving people don't. Is a cashier deserving? Is a fireman/woman deserving? Military? Where is the cut off for getting these extra's? Politicians? The garbage folks?

Do YOU think that a cashier who puts up with all kinds of crap (and low pay) deserves something like a gym discount? I do. More so than a fireman in my opinion.

Mandofred

Visit site
£100 a month!!!! If you've got the money to spend a £100 a month on a gym then you don't need a discount. On my salary I can only afford my £22 a month membership. Perhaps the answer to your question is in plain sight ?‍♂️
Nowhere have I said I needed a discount. Where did you come up with this line of thinking?