Me Golf And the Pro Shop

Hutchy17

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hello cyber peeps thought i would write my first post after being a reader of the forum for some time now first things first i will bore you with a bit about me. stick with it though it might get better ;)

my name is Lee i started playing this crazy game about 9 months ago after doctors orders to get out of the house after under going treatment for cancer for the last 7 years and leading a unhealthy lifestyle for many a year . Im 35 years young 2 wonderful boys one of which has the golf bug as well and a truly amazing wife. I an a member of HIGHPOST golf club in wiltshire and basically this is why i am on here writing this post.

Never played a sport in my life honestly how hard can golf be?? Well down to earth with a bang i came starting out getting a few lessons with a very good friend up a local field with a old set of pings just trying to hit the ball in any direction was a good start but oh no air shots where my speciality without doubt. After a few months i was ready to take it to the next level yes that's right the local pitch and putt was within my range.After alot of balls on the range and the pitch and putt i was ready to take on the big boys up my local course all pings blazing!! This is where i skip that round as i said i would never mention 144 again:eek: as the months past it got better finding i had found another illness in my life called GOLF playing on the course another say 10 times in those months then APRIL came new member ships coming out as i was 34 if i joined then it would save me £300 as i would be 35 a month later. I took the plunge IM a member of a golf club you know the place where everyone drinks wine drives posh cars wears funny clothes and hats earns mega money and talk like the royal family.

Sometimes in life i can be wrong and this was one of those times i was welcomed with open arms even though i had none of the above really. I was welcomed into a friendly world of different people men and women so it started meeting new members to play with getting out then progressing into complete-in my first 3 medal rounds to get my first Handicap yes of 28 bet hey im there im on the board ready to improve. Breaking a 100 then came after having a few lessons with the asstiant pro Chris who has been superb to me helping me the last year like a good friend would help you. Now as i write this im off 26 still trying my best getting great advice of the people i have meet though golf and have a good playing circle of friends.

Now after all that this is what i wanted to tell you about the PRO SHOP if i went into my local golf shop in town they would sell me everything even the till if the price was right but the PRO SHOP is a different story yes i have brought alot of my stuff in there but new clubs where now in order not because my ones where no good i just wanted shiny new ping G20s instead of ripping my hand off for the cash the advice they gave was just to keep the ones i have and keep learning my swing as they wouldn't improve my game really.Now in these days and time when everyone is struggling its so humbling that they didn't just take the cash but instead gave me good advice like they have been given me the last 9 months and credit has to go to my PRO SHOP thanks CHRIS AND TONY (PRO) for all your help and to every member i have had the privilege to meet.

Thanks for reading hutchy

T

thecraw

Tuely inspirational Hutchy, I hope that everything is behind you now and golf gives you back some of the years you've missed.

Keep us informed of your progress.

A

Alex1975

A very warm welcome to the forum, glad to have you along, great post and look forward to many more from you.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Hutchy and welcome,

Pro shops in general must have seen their income streams change alot over the years. Competition from stores such as AG and the internet must hit them hard. I would guess that the majority of pros see teaching as a main income stream these days.

Its nice that your pro gave you good honest advice. It may be also that he cannot compete with the local AG who IMO have a 'stack em high and sell em low' attitude, whereas your pro might not be in a group and therefore cannot purchase on bulk.

However, regardless of this, your pros advice is likely to be correct, particularly with Ping clubs. They are built like a brick out house - the loft and lie wont move easily compared to others. They also hold their value better than most.

Keep going with the pings that you have, particularly the irons. Guys on here use I2's (as they are such a good iron). You might see some new woods as a necessity sooner however as IMO, technology has improved in that area more so that in irons.

Welcome once again.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
yeah still there he got course record about 3 months ago a 63 so he is still going strong mate thanks for all the kind words.

Hells Teeth..... he must have shot under his age
I refereed a Wilts County final at Broome Manor and Roger hit seven 3's on the trot from the 2nd hole.
It was PPPPersistantly PPPPPPouring at the time. His poor opponent was one under when he lost at the 13th.

How is his boy doing?