Mayweather vs McGregor - Official

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dont think Maywether has fought anyone with the unique type movement McGregor shows...who knows???
Like a MMA style movement? That's maybe because floyd fights boxers.
I'll give mcgregor one thing, he absolutely knows how to play the media part, the loudmouth and quick one liners etc. He's very good at that. And he can put bums on seats. It's a win-win situation for him as far as I see it. If he wins he can shout his mouth off about it till his dying day. If he loses he has the excuses already made for him, it's not his arena, bigger gloves, weight blah blah blah. he can go on about how brave he was to take on Mayweather at his game so mayweather should do the same in return. All while pocketing an eye-popping amount of cash which was his ultimate intention IMO.
As for the fight itself, I predict a borefest with mayweather making mcgregor chase him while picking him off with counter punches and combos. While mcgregor has power, floyds fought powerful guys before. Look at Saul Alvarez knocking out amir Khan. And he couldn't knock mayweather out. He has one of the best defences in boxing and I can't see mcgregor getting near him.
Mcgregors brain is tuned and trained for a different style of fighting which his subconscious will need to fight all the time aswell, resist the temptation to kick, grapple etc.

Last edited:

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
its more like WWE than boxing. which makes me dubious if they have agreed something between them about the outcome. they are both great business men after all.

If it is a proper fight then McGregor is clearly skilled and an accomplished fighter. However 49 boxers have tried and failed against Mayweather so McGregor without experience you would think would have no chance. However he may just bring something to the party.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im wondering how CMG will not use his elbows legs or knees , also wondering if he gets caught how the survival instinct & years of grappling & locking up etc wont just kick in automatically ..

UFC fighters come to fight , one of the reasons its getting so popular . FM wont come to fight , he will come to win a fight his way

Curious how it will pan out ,two of the great showmen . wouldnt pay for it tho

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im wondering how CMG will not use his elbows legs or knees , also wondering if he gets caught how the survival instinct & years of grappling & locking up etc wont just kick in automatically ..

UFC fighters come to fight , one of the reasons its getting so popular . FM wont come to fight , he will come to win a fight his way

Curious how it will pan out ,two of the great showmen . wouldnt pay for it tho

Illegal elbow knockout would be soooo awesome.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
It'll be in Conor's contract that if he elbows, kicks, chokes Floyd he'll lose his purse. Won't happen, as much as it'd be hilarious. In a real fight it'd be embarrassing for Floyd.

Huh? Also, no counter to the Sport Science video? Thought Conor would lose his KO power with the bigger gloves?

Also, saw this earlier, Conor talks some trash and can be a bit flash, but there's no doubt in my mind that he's a sound guy. Can't say the same for Mr Mayweather.

[video=youtube;rA3D0KcLqQA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA3D0KcLqQA[/video]

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It'll be in Conor's contract that if he elbows, kicks, chokes Floyd he'll lose his purse. Won't happen, as much as it'd be hilarious. In a real fight it'd be embarrassing for Floyd.

Huh? Also, no counter to the Sport Science video? Thought Conor would lose his KO power with the bigger gloves?

Also, saw this earlier, Conor talks some trash and can be a bit flash, but there's no doubt in my mind that he's a sound guy. Can't say the same for Mr Mayweather.

[video=youtube;rA3D0KcLqQA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA3D0KcLqQA[/video]

I think they're both dicks. But at the end of August only one of the will be an embarrassed dick.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In all likelihood this bout will be a bit of a boring affair, so enjoy the build up which may prove more entertaining. I'm a fan of both and will be watching, but more for the spectacle rather than the fight itself. It's a massive, massive mismatch in terms of boxing levels. McGregor will come to fight, he always does. Playing right into Mayweather's hands as he will come to box,
and I'd be surprised if he shipped any real punishment.

Similarly, if the disciplines were reversed Mayweather wouldn't stand a chance. I see McGregor quitting or getting DQ'd late on - rounds 9-12.
Much more excited about Golovkin v Cannelo. Also looking forward to the super middleweight and cruiserweight super series'.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
[video=youtube;wRmOOWPTRBs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRmOOWPTRBs[/video]

Maybe won't lose much power but boxing gloves are going to feel awkward and cumbersome on his hands in comparison with MMA gloves? Feel slower, Different weight, will also give him a different range, he will have to wear wraps under them, his fingers won't be individual like he's used to. All of which will feel strange to him.
Granted all very small differences but at the top of the tree it's very small margins that separate winner and loser, just another thing he will have to contend with that will be second nature to mayweather and he wont even be thinking about it.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I love how people think he has no boxing experience...

While he has made his name as a mixed martial artist, McGregor was once a promising young boxer. He walked into the Crumlin Boxing Club in Dublin at the age of 12 and his first trainer, Phil Sutcliffe, spoke to Boxing News about what McGregor was like in those developmental stages.

“He was just like any other kid who walked into the gym wanting to join a boxing club, he had to get his parents’ permission first,” he said.

“He trained very, very hard, he was one of the kids you never had to shout at, he was very focused. He wanted to be a good boxer and he was getting good, he was progressing well. He won a few novice titles [he won the Dublin Novice championships at age 16] and boxed on plenty of shows to learn his trade but before he became a Junior he found another love and packed it in"

Not saying he will beat Maywether but he has some limited boxing experience. His movement will be key in the fight.

Haven't looked forward to a fight for years as much as this one. Couldn't care less if people think its for the money (which it is lol).

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/lifting-the-lid-on-conor-mcgregors-boxing-past/

Limited being the key word there, there are thousands of kids with amateur records like that.
De la Hoya had something like 220 amateur fights and lost only half a dozen or so, won world titles at 5 or 6 different weights. Mayweather dispatched of him.

D

Deleted member 15344

They are certainly massively overhyping it - a press conference tour ! You will make sure they make as much money from the circus act as possible. The joke is getting bigger. It's going to be the biggest damp squid since the Mayweather Manny fight.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe won't lose much power but boxing gloves are going to feel awkward and cumbersome on his hands in comparison with MMA gloves? Feel slower, Different weight, will also give him a different range, he will have to wear wraps under them, his fingers won't be individual like he's used to. All of which will feel strange to him.
Granted all very small differences but at the top of the tree it's very small margins that separate winner and loser, just another thing he will have to contend with that will be second nature to mayweather and he wont even be thinking about it.

He's worn boxing gloves before. He boxed as an amateur before moving into MMA. When he's boxing sparring in camp for his MMA fights he'll wear boxing gloves. It's not going to feel uncomfortable for him.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I'm looking forward to it

I love Connor to be honest, dragged himself up from nothing, absolute nothing, with pure hard work and a fair amount of pain along the way.

I'd like him to beat mayweather, but I do think he will be relying on a punchers chance, as technically Mayweather is incredible and so hard to it

People will knock the fight, but I won't, I have the upmost respect for anyone who has the balls to get into a ring be it licensed boxing, or the unlicensed boxing I did.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He's worn boxing gloves before. He boxed as an amateur before moving into MMA. When he's boxing sparring in camp for his MMA fights he'll wear boxing gloves. It's not going to feel uncomfortable for him.

Just the same as we can hole 3 feet putts all day long on the practice green, but when you have one for the club championship the ball looks like a beach ball and the hole the size of a 10 pence piece.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Let's be honest McGregor as already won.
Bet he never thought he'd get a pay day like this.
When he loses he can just say he lost to one of the greatest boxers on the planet.
It's entertainment,no one is forced to watch it.