UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing that's allowed then ? Doesn't seem right though

The fight is won - why hit him again ?

Because guys recover from flash KO's very quickly. If they don't hit them again and the referee doesn't step in, the fight will continue and they could risk defeat. It's happened before, so best thing to do is to continue to attack until the referee stops the fight.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because guys recover from flash KO's very quickly. If they don't hit them again and the referee doesn't step in, the fight will continue and they could risk defeat. It's happened before, so best thing to do is to continue to attack until the referee stops the fight.

The guy was out cold - clear to see that.

Then another punch to head whilst he was out cold

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Easy to say that sitting on a couch. When in the heat of the moment you fight until the referee says stop. It's the nature of the sport. He actually wasn't out stiff until the first hammerfist either. The 2nd wasn't necessary, but the referee hadn't stepped in until after the first hammerfist.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's the reason I'm not a fan of UFC. Taking shots when you're flat on your back out cold is dangerous and something I don't like to see

Not as dangerous as getting knocked out, but given 10 seconds to stand up to take more punishment. Boxing is FAR more dangerous than MMA.

D

Deleted member 18121

I love UFC and that was an awesome punch. So much better and more entertaining that boxing.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not as dangerous as getting knocked out, but given 10 seconds to stand up to take more punishment. Boxing is FAR more dangerous than MMA.

Really ? Boxing certainly doesn't allow opponents to deliver full force blows to the head whilst someone is on the floor knocked out just to make sure they don't get up again.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really ? Boxing certainly doesn't allow opponents to deliver full force blows to the head whilst someone is on the floor knocked out just to make sure they don't get up again.

Because boxers are a bunch of semi skilled lightweights lol.
It's the old chestnut, if you don't like it, don't watch it. I don't see what you're trying to achieve by labouring the point, it's part of the sport which all the fighters are at ease with.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's the old chestnut, if you don't like it, don't watch it. I don't see what you're trying to achieve by labouring the point, it's part of the sport which all the fighters are at ease with.
well I suppose as the serious injuries and death toll increases maybe that ease will start to disappear

I'm not a massive boxing fan because beating someone to a pulp isn't a favourite but seeing some of the Ufc stuff seems like violence that is going to do a lot of serious harm to people

Sport overall has big problems with concussions at the moment - a lot of work is being done with medical professions to try and limit the risk - and here is a "sport" actually seeming to have no issue with people landing blows to the head as people are unguarded on the floor with possible concussion already ?! Madness

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Semi skilled? Wasn't Holm from a boxing background who just flattened the UFC's supposed biggest star?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

So sport is intentionally knocking someone about the head who is unable to defend themselves because they are unconscious?

I guess we differ on what is sport?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
And she knocked out Rousey how exactly?
Having a boxing background is a great advantage, but if you don't have whole package you're going to get found out sooner rather than later.

Rousey lost that fight as much as Holm won it. She just kept running into range, trying to get into holds far too quickly, rather than stalking the octagon and waiting for Holm to get impatient and let her guard down.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And she knocked out Rousey how exactly?
Having a boxing background is a great advantage, but if you don't have whole package you're going to get found out sooner rather than later.

Well the blow that finished was the kick to the face but she was able to get to that point by letting her hands go throughout the fight. All stemmed from superior footwork and movement. Learned in a boxing ring.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rousey lost that fight as much as Holm won it. She just kept running into range, trying to get into holds far too quickly, rather than stalking the octagon and waiting for Holm to get impatient and let her guard down.

It's so easy to say that. Holm won the fight pretty easily and made Rousey look foolish in doing so.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well the blow that finished was the kick to the face but she was able to get to that point by letting her hands go throughout the fight. All stemmed from superior footwork and movement. Learned in a boxing ring.

I think Rousey had the wrong tactics in that fight, she thought she could trade punches with a boxer rather than taking it to the floor and getting a submission.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Easy to say she had the wrong tactics in hindsight. Maybe Holm's movement and ability to dictate the distance meant Rousey wasn't able to implement her gameplan.

It's like saying Aldo had the wrong gameplan instead of praising McGregor for that wonderful left hand.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Easy to say she had the wrong tactics in hindsight. Maybe Holm's movement and ability to dictate the distance meant Rousey wasn't able to implement her gameplan.

It's like saying Aldo had the wrong gameplan instead of praising McGregor for that wonderful left hand.

You know a lot about the UFC to say you don't like the violence 😉

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I think Rousey had the wrong tactics in that fight, she thought she could trade punches with a boxer rather than taking it to the floor and getting a submission.

I don't think Rousey expected to trade punches, I think she expected to be able to evade them and get inside to work her usual plan. I think, in hindsight, Rousey took the ability to Holm to land punches and move around the ring for granted.