UFC 194: Aldo vs McGregor

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
well I suppose as the serious injuries and death toll increases maybe that ease will start to disappear

I'm not a massive boxing fan because beating someone to a pulp isn't a favourite but seeing some of the Ufc stuff seems like violence that is going to do a lot of serious harm to people

Sport overall has big problems with concussions at the moment - a lot of work is being done with medical professions to try and limit the risk - and here is a "sport" actually seeming to have no issue with people landing blows to the head as people are unguarded on the floor with possible concussion already ?! Madness

MMA looks worse, but look at the statistics. WAY more boxers lose their lives as a result of their fights than MMA fighters. Boxing is almost entirely impacts to the brain, from the training to the fights themselves, it is blow after blow after blow to the head. MMA fights start on the feet, but almost always end up on the floor or grappling against the fence. The opportunities for brain trauma are much less, and the 4oz gloves actually help reduce brain trauma. Although it makes it easier to get KO'd, that's actually good long-term. Boxing, due to the size of the gloves more punishment can be sustained before a KO blow occurs.

Studies have been done. From a very quick google:

After reviewing post-fight medical examination records from more than 1,180 M.M.A. combatants and 550 boxers over 10 years researchers at the University of Alberta in Canada reported that M.M.A. fighters end up with minor injuries such as contusions, bruises, bloody noses and facial cuts at higher rates than boxers, while boxers are more likely to suffer from more serious injuries such as concussions, loss of consciousness, broken noses and bones, and eye injuries including retinal detachment. Boxers were also more likely to receive longer post-fight medical suspensions than M.M.A. athletes.

Though MMA looks more gory, the long-term dangers of the sport are lower, and deaths are lower, though obviously with any combat sport continual exposure to brain trauma is never going to end well.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone excited for the fight at the weekend? Absolutely pumped for this one. Gutted that RDA didn't man up and show up on fight night, but Diaz should make for a fantastic fight. The trash talking has been incredible. Their interview on FOX was superb.

[video=youtube;eTzhVVIjLCE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTzhVVIjLCE[/video]

Conor's going to be too quick, too accurate and too technical for Diaz. Diaz plods forward and slaps with that Diaz style of boxing. McGregor with his diverse striking game and use of distance will stifle Nate and prevent him attacking. Diaz only hope is that he can get the fight to the ground, but I don't see him being quick enough or strong enough to get it to the ground. Conor will win by TKO in the 2nd, that left hand is going to be too much.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am looking forward to the fight but I can't be doing with this so called trash talking, it's just so tedious. I get that it's to sell pay per views but boooring! Thankfully it comes with BT sport.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love the trash talking. Always have done. There's a certain art to doing it well, it's not easy, as you can tell when you watch Nate Diaz. Conor is the greatest trash talker of all-time, comes out with some absolute classic lines.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He does have it down to an art. The funny thing is that he always manages to get into his opponents head.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Brilliant from Diaz, too big and strong, too much of a weight jump for macgregor

Macgregor was actually too quick for Diaz and was beating him up until he got caught and I was quite surprised how quick Macgregor weakened and yes then the weight and strength took over,if it had stayed at long range I believe Conor would have won.

D

Deleted member 15344

I watched the female fight before and the woman won when she choked the other one until she appeared unconcious ?! Madness

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The jump in weight proved too much for McGregor. I was shocked at how he crumbled when hit on the chin. Diaz has a very decent ground game so thought he might have had an advantage there but it was the manner that the choke was set up that was unexpected. Diaz is not a notable puncher but like his brother is always game and very accurate with his stand up. Not many shots are wasted. McGregor was perhaps over confident and to be fair was dominating before he got tagged. But once he was hit the weight jump seemed to take it's toll. Fair play to Diaz though. Did what he said he would do.

MCGregor will be back, albeit by returning to the lower weight divisions where I think he'll still dominate. This fight could damage his career though. He had the elements of a Mike Tyson about him where a couple of his opponents were beaten before the first bell. Diaz perhaps highlighted his weaknesses. From now on his opponents will be more aware that he can be hurt, and even more aware his ground game isn't the best.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can do , speaking from experience doing security I put a guy doing his nut asleep one night , boy was on drugs , was a struggle to wake the guy , have never used it since..

Most ppl calm down just as the dizziness comes ha

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just didn't know what to think watching them trying to choke each other - that could go horribly wrong

Getting choked out is a hell of a lot safer than getting KO'd in a fight, or even concussed playing rugby or american football. Just shuts the blood off from reaching the brain, soon as the pressure is released the blood flows back into the brain and they wake up. Not that dangerous in the scheme of things. Boxing way more dangerous long term.

Gutted. Conor was winning that fight. Got sloppy, got caught and quit. He went into panic mode (like he said other guys do, ironically), and paid for it. He was lighting Diaz up in that round, and probably got a little too confident. Nice to see classless guys like Aldo jumping on him though. At least Conor showed up. Jose seems to have forgotten about their fight a little too quickly. Conor's going to jump back down to 145 and clear up once again and show just how good he is. Don't write him off yet.

Big Whacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It doesn't matter how good he is (was). His over cockiness (why didn't he just continue to fight with his natural class and skill and kept his mouth shut) has just cost him his notorious career. We saw it first with Anderson Silva.

He's been beaten and beaten by pleading with another man to let go. There is no 'coming back'.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
He made $1m in disclosed purse, will have broken even more gate and PPV records. He's still UFC Featherweight champion. Conor McGregor's "notorious career" is far from over.

Big Whacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm not talking about the money. He pleaded for mercy. He is no longer notorious.

If he comes back as just Conor then he'll still make money sure.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
After losing this bout, saying it was a weight class too high and that he will definitely return to his own weight and do the business there, I see his next fight in UFC200 is the rematch with Diaz, at the same weight as before, 170!

Is this pride and redemption before sense?