My season: The good, the bad and the downright awful (Very long post)

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went into this golfing season and year full of optimism, hope and excitement, I’d finished last year just before Help for Heroes in October by putting in my 3 cards for my first official handicap and with no more comps I started this year with 17.1

Being more than a little confident I could get my handicap lower, a lot lower, I made the claim to Bill Elliot while sitting our evening meal at West Hill that I would be in single figures for the next Help for Heroes, I had a year to sort my game out. More on that claim below.

Over the winter I was having lessons once a fortnight I was getting plenty of range time but games only every other Sunday, I could only play once a fortnight due to being on call every other week, the dark nights didn’t permit play after work and I was 6 day member at Whickham so Saturdays were out as well, that written I was still playing to my handicap, knocking the ball in the low to mid 80’s.

Now I had to get playing more to get my handicap down, range time was good, but I needed time on the course to improve, things at work changed, that lad I was doing on-call with left and the company decided it would be better if there were more people on-call, so three others agreed. This meant I was going to be able to play three weekends a month, great more course time, but this is where I made my first mistake and probably biggest mistake of the year. No more lessons.

The guy who was teaching me went on 4 weeks holiday and while he was away I became a 7 day member at Whickham, in doing so I could now play in the competitions on Saturdays, however this clashed with my lesson time. The last thing I wanted to be doing was having a lesson in the morning and playing in a comp in the afternoon with the lesson still fresh in my mind, I thought that would be a recipe for disaster, however not continuing my lessons may have had the same affect.

The first signs of the wheels coming off my game came in early April, I’d had two consecutive 0.1 increases shooting 98 and 101, no reason to panic it was early and I wasn’t expecting miracles. Then came the Golf Monthly opportunity at The Grove.

New Golf Thinking, a new way to think about golf, seven ways to help a golfer mentally prepare themselves better and while a good few in the forum dismissed the ideas as common sense or bunkum, a similar good few embraced the ideas. Did NGT help lower my scores, no it did not, for me to lower my scores I need practice, lots of practice. Did NGT help me enjoy my game more, yes it did, it helped point me in the right direction in regard to coping with moaning playing partners, slow play, remembering good etc… and for that I appreciate being chosen to participate. I will continue to re-read the book dipping into it when needed.

While NGT had shown me the way to enjoy my golf a significant lack of lessons and practice time was taking its toll. I managed to play the last comp in April to my handicap, all through may each week was a 0.1 increase, now off 18 (17.7) getting to single figures to meet my claim was not looking good. The first week in June I played to buffer, but then came 6 weeks of increases and up to 18.3, then I had one of the two half decent rounds of the year and played to buffer again. The end of July into mid-August saw another 6 week run of increases putting me up to 19 (18.9), another round played to buffer, then increases all the way to this morning, my last comp of the season.

So my season comes to a close, not ever getting anywhere close to getting to single figures, just going the wrong way from the start. I had hoped that I would get one cut, even if it was just a 0.3 drop, but I couldn’t even manage to string a decent round together to get that. My best round of the season was an 86. That 86 was worse than the three cards I put in to get my handicap (82, 83, and 85)

What went wrong, some within the forum walls will say I put too much pressure on myself, maybe subconsciously I did, but the main reason was lack of game time and practice. While at the end f last year I was able to practice a lot, circumstances at work, and commitments in family life just simply meant I couldn’t practice enough.

I posted a thread on the 26th July entitled “The nay sayers will be happy”, many were very supportive in reply to my post and I really do appreciate the comments. A couple of replies suggested I was wrong in suggesting other would be happy I had failed in my goal. While I may have been little misguided in the title I was alluding to the article Bill Elliot had written on his as was back page, he wrote:

“Presently off a serious double-digit handicap, he insists he’ll be in single figures this time next year. I’ll let you know. No laughing at the back.”

While the title suggested people would be happy, that was not my intention.

So, what have I learned this golfing season? Well :-
1. Without a lot of practice, I’m not going to get better, no brainer on that one really.
2. My innate golfing ability without practice puts me in the low 20’s handicap bracket.
3. Making claims to do something in golf is folly.
4. How to Ignore barbed comments from playing partners
5. How to Stop slow play getting to me

But mainly I’ve learned that getting into single figures is not he be all and end all and that just going out in the fresh air enjoying my game is way way better than sitting behind a desk working.

Cheers for reading if you got this far.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Could it be that you are playing too much golf?

I find that if I play 2 days in a row, I definately feel tired on the 2nd day back 9 and it's hard to keep the concentration levels up.
But playing one a Friday and following Wednesday fresh as a daisy .

Played a couple of my best rounds ever off the back of holidays where I hadn't touched a club for 10 days

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another 0.1 back today (although a viral infection and sore back are my excuses). Like you I had grand plans although in my case to that mystical land they call "Single Figures". Plenty of work over the winter, lots of good stuff at the range and ready to hit the season running. A small snippet of success at the KoK at Camberley Heath and a good round at the Grove at the NGT day.

Apart from that it's been a frustrating mix of some decent social games and opportunities in comps, blighted by two or three bad shots per round killing a cut or buffer zone. Short game gremlins still lurk and like you, unless I put the work in my game can go off kilter quickly. That said I started the year at 11.4 and I'm only 11.6 so by no means a disaster.

Having had to stop and look after HID post op recently and struggling with a bad back and illness, my season has stagnated and stuttered and today I just felt short of practice as well as under the weather.

I'm sure you've got it in you to get where you want to go and I think another winter of lessons and hard work and some solid short game work before next season and it'll happen. I often find that once, I get a cut, others follow soon after. Even when I was off 14 (not so long ago) I won a comp and then dropped to 11 within a few months. It will happen and don't get too down on yourself. Keep going. I'm definitely not one of those laughing!

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Practice is by far and away the thing you need to do, especially out on the course. Recently Kraxx lost his job, (he's got a new job now), but while he was not working he was golfing, everyday and this showed in spades. He dropped from 16 to 11 in the space of 4 weeks, now he's back to work and not getting the golfing hours in, he's up to 12.

So without in built natural golfing ability practice and lots of is what you need.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'd say there are probably several reasons why you've struggled this year. Practice without a doubt is one of them, and more importantly grooving getting onto your left side as you go through the ball - the biggest fault in your game is staying on your back foot. Learning to be comfortable in a competition is another. And finally, learn to laugh at yourself and others.

You don't play the game for a living. So if you shoot a 95, it might not be the score you want but you'll have had some good shots, good company and a LAUGH. RELAX

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd say there are probably several reasons why you've struggled this year. Practice without a doubt is one of them, and more importantly grooving getting onto your left side as you go through the ball - the biggest fault in your game is staying on your back foot. Learning to be comfortable in a competition is another. And finally, learn to laugh at yourself and others.

You don't play the game for a living. So if you shoot a 95, it might not be the score you want but you'll have had some good shots, good company and a LAUGH. RELAX

There has been many a round this year where I've laughed, it stopped me from crying. Like my tin cup moment on the 6th, decent drive into the middle of the fairway, sliced three metal into the cabbage on the 7th, ball gone, dropped another pulled into the trees 40yds left, dropped another pulled into the trees 40yds left, dropped another pulled into the trees 40yds left. Four balls lost on the same hole, three from the same spot and a massive 14 for the par 5.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Whoa. And, whoa.

That's a lot of words without one mention of what is causing you to fall below your own high standards.

Are you trying to play to 9 handicap causing you to take on Seve-esque shots?

Are you three-putting all over the shop?

How many penalty shots do you take each round?

How many duffed chips or iron shots each round?

How often do you hit greens from 100/ 80 / 60 / 40 yards?

Great, honest post but I'd be more interested in reading about what specifically has stopped you from achieving a handicap drop and what you're doing to fix it.

Sounds a bit negative this post and I don't mean to be so blunt, but I'm concerned that NGT, over-ambition, fortnightly lessons etc etc have clouded over the real issues.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you trying to play to 9 handicap causing you to take on Seve-esque shots?
Once upon a time I'd see a tiny gap ad try to squeeze the ball through, these days I take my medicine and play the ball back onto the fairway, the easiest and safest way open to me.

Are you three-putting all over the shop?

Yes I do three putt, but that written my putting got better over the season and I two putt more often, in a three way split or three, two and one putts, I'd put it 20/70/10

How many penalty shots do you take each round?

Now that depends on the round, sometimes none, other times I'll lose a ball ad on occasion as written above a lot more.

How many duffed chips or iron shots each round?
Duffed chips, they happen and that is mainly down to lack of concentration, maybe one of two a round, but then again sometimes chips and pitches are brilliant.

Iron shots, I strike them well and over the season my iron striking got better.

How often do you hit greens from 100/ 80 / 60 / 40 yards?
50/50

Great, honest post but I'd be more interested in reading about what specifically has stopped you from achieving a handicap drop and what you're doing to fix it.

Sounds a bit negative this post and I don't mean to be so blunt, but I'm concerned that NGT, over-ambition, fortnightly lessons etc etc have clouded over the real issues.

Well NGT did help me enjoy my rounds more.

Over-ambition, like I wrote in the OP, perhaps I did put myself under a little to much mental pressure.

Fortnightly lessons, I stopped them at the end of February and have none since.

Over this year I took some advice from posts on here and they helped, I strike my irons much much better, only problem is I'm now hitting that well they just go deeper into the trees.

I know what I need to do to help sort things and to get my scores back to the mid to low 80's, but requires lots of practice and at the moment time to practice is just something I do not have.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bin that 3 wood. Causes so many dropped shots for mid to high amateurs. I dropped my one when I was off 16. Removed the temptation to slash it when miles out or to try and rescue an oul duff off the tee. Granted I am thinking of sticking one back in but I am aware of the difficulty in controlling such a long hitting club.

You can easily shoot single figure golf without anything longer than a 5 wood.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bin that 3 wood. Causes so many dropped shots for mid to high amateurs. I dropped my one when I was off 16. Removed the temptation to slash it when miles out or to try and rescue an oul duff off the tee. Granted I am thinking of sticking one back in but I am aware of the difficulty in controlling such a long hitting club.

You can easily shoot single figure golf without anything longer than a 5 wood.

Yes I wrote that I sliced a 3 metal in the OP, but for the most part I love my 3 metal, I use it a lot off the tee as I can hit just as far as my driver if not further but have 90% of the time got more control over it than the driver.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't really know what to say. Other than relax stop being hard on yourself. Let the score take care of its self. Things will get better if you don't push it.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought my season was going to end on a high after having my first lesson. But sadly after some over- enthusiastic practice, i've injured my back and shoulder .

So I finish the season only 1 shot less than last year. sad.

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with the three wood comment. Probably worth starting a separate thread on the subject to avoid polluting this one though.

I also think that playing off single figures is MUCH harder than any mid teens capper realises. I play of 13.2 (prob .3 after today but may have scraped buffer). I am MILES away from single fingures. Don't even think about it. Maybe this is another thread as well....

Good luck. If you've found a way to enjoy playing golf when it's not going too well you are a better man than me and it represents a good year's work !

D

Deleted member 15344

I went into this golfing season and year full of optimism, hope and excitement, I’d finished last year just before Help for Heroes in October by putting in my 3 cards for my first official handicap and with no more comps I started this year with 17.1

Being more than a little confident I could get my handicap lower, a lot lower, I made the claim to Bill Elliot while sitting our evening meal at West Hill that I would be in single figures for the next Help for Heroes, I had a year to sort my game out. More on that claim below.

Over the winter I was having lessons once a fortnight I was getting plenty of range time but games only every other Sunday, I could only play once a fortnight due to being on call every other week, the dark nights didn’t permit play after work and I was 6 day member at Whickham so Saturdays were out as well, that written I was still playing to my handicap, knocking the ball in the low to mid 80’s.

Now I had to get playing more to get my handicap down, range time was good, but I needed time on the course to improve, things at work changed, that lad I was doing on-call with left and the company decided it would be better if there were more people on-call, so three others agreed. This meant I was going to be able to play three weekends a month, great more course time, but this is where I made my first mistake and probably biggest mistake of the year. No more lessons.

The guy who was teaching me went on 4 weeks holiday and while he was away I became a 7 day member at Whickham, in doing so I could now play in the competitions on Saturdays, however this clashed with my lesson time. The last thing I wanted to be doing was having a lesson in the morning and playing in a comp in the afternoon with the lesson still fresh in my mind, I thought that would be a recipe for disaster, however not continuing my lessons may have had the same affect.

The first signs of the wheels coming off my game came in early April, I’d had two consecutive 0.1 increases shooting 98 and 101, no reason to panic it was early and I wasn’t expecting miracles. Then came the Golf Monthly opportunity at The Grove.

New Golf Thinking, a new way to think about golf, seven ways to help a golfer mentally prepare themselves better and while a good few in the forum dismissed the ideas as common sense or bunkum, a similar good few embraced the ideas. Did NGT help lower my scores, no it did not, for me to lower my scores I need practice, lots of practice. Did NGT help me enjoy my game more, yes it did, it helped point me in the right direction in regard to coping with moaning playing partners, slow play, remembering good etc… and for that I appreciate being chosen to participate. I will continue to re-read the book dipping into it when needed.

While NGT had shown me the way to enjoy my golf a significant lack of lessons and practice time was taking its toll. I managed to play the last comp in April to my handicap, all through may each week was a 0.1 increase, now off 18 (17.7) getting to single figures to meet my claim was not looking good. The first week in June I played to buffer, but then came 6 weeks of increases and up to 18.3, then I had one of the two half decent rounds of the year and played to buffer again. The end of July into mid-August saw another 6 week run of increases putting me up to 19 (18.9), another round played to buffer, then increases all the way to this morning, my last comp of the season.

So my season comes to a close, not ever getting anywhere close to getting to single figures, just going the wrong way from the start. I had hoped that I would get one cut, even if it was just a 0.3 drop, but I couldn’t even manage to string a decent round together to get that. My best round of the season was an 86. That 86 was worse than the three cards I put in to get my handicap (82, 83, and 85)

What went wrong, some within the forum walls will say I put too much pressure on myself, maybe subconsciously I did, but the main reason was lack of game time and practice. While at the end f last year I was able to practice a lot, circumstances at work, and commitments in family life just simply meant I couldn’t practice enough.

I posted a thread on the 26th July entitled “The nay sayers will be happy”, many were very supportive in reply to my post and I really do appreciate the comments. A couple of replies suggested I was wrong in suggesting other would be happy I had failed in my goal. While I may have been little misguided in the title I was alluding to the article Bill Elliot had written on his as was back page, he wrote:

“Presently off a serious double-digit handicap, he insists he’ll be in single figures this time next year. I’ll let you know. No laughing at the back.”

While the title suggested people would be happy, that was not my intention.

So, what have I learned this golfing season? Well :-
1. Without a lot of practice, I’m not going to get better, no brainer on that one really.
2. My innate golfing ability without practice puts me in the low 20’s handicap bracket.
3. Making claims to do something in golf is folly.
4. How to Ignore barbed comments from playing partners
5. How to Stop slow play getting to me

But mainly I’ve learned that getting into single figures is not he be all and end all and that just going out in the fresh air enjoying my game is way way better than sitting behind a desk working.

Cheers for reading if you got this far.

This for me will be the most important thing you have learned this year

Setting goals just puts you under pressure - that in turn starts to effect your enjoyment which IMO will naturally effect your game

This year I have shot a 90 odd and had a laugh and shot a 69 and had a laugh

Enjoy the game for what it is for us - a hobby , we don't play this game for money we play it for fun

Forget about setting targets - go out and enjoy yourself and enjoy the company and the good golf will come along naturally

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think you should beat yourself up too much. A lot of us have the ability to play to single figures for 14 or so holes but inconsistency prevents us from doing it for a full round.

I didn't give myself a handicap target this season and went from 15.4 to 11.7, I guess Cat 2 would have been my target had I had one so I am quite happy with how I have finished the season.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You know I keep listening to people on here and I keep hearing a lot of the game is in yer head and not your swing. And I think yeah really but this last few months has been a real learning curve for me.

this may sound twattish but I read a piece the other day who's handicap has fell through the floor and he said whether he shot 80 or 100 he went home to his wife and three young children and that helped to put his game into perspective.

on Thursday I wrote me grandsons name on the ball just to remind me that the games not the be all and end all. It was a constant reminder and I really enjoyed my round.

take a rack off and enjoy it coz if you have already shot a 82, when you shoot it again you will be the biggest bandit goin.

your post echoes most peoples golfing failures no endeavours this year but we will be back next year.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Presumably the lessons you had identified the swing faults you had and allowed you to understand which swing fault produced which kind of bad shot. If not, find a new teacher. Assuming that you can identify the fault causing your main bad shot you should be able to put into practice the changes your teacher gave you to correct it. If this doesn't work you need to go back for a refresher to let the pro see whether you're doing what you think you're doing. You mention hitting three huge pulls or hooks on the trot. This indicates that you either don't understand what causes the shot or that your swing is so far out that the corrective action you take doesn't put things right. Again, this says you need another lesson.

The winter is a great time to groove a swing. I go to the range almost daily in the winter but you must be practicing the right thing. Understand what causes each bad shot, alter the swing accordingly & try again. If this works, try the same swing again etc. until you get a reasonably consistent shot. The key is to know what fault is causing the bad shot, what the clubface & swingpath are doing at impact. Not all pros explain this & this makes it impossible to help yourself, which I think is the key to improving. This approach has got me, at the age of 67, back to single figures for the first time since 1982. Don't give up, it's a great game & one cracking shot is all you need for it to all seem worthwhile.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't give up, it's a great game & one cracking shot is all you need for it to all seem worthwhile.

You're dead right a couple of good shots and it does all seem worth while. I can hit good shots, I can par and birdie holes, at some point I've parred every hole on my course, just unfortunately not in the same round. So I know I'm capable of putting a good round together.

But, my swing is to inconsistent to allow that.

I do know what is causing my bad shots, weight a little too much on the back foot and an out to in swing path on occasion. Having the weight stay back causes me fats and thins, though thankfully this is not quite a thing of the past but is a lost less frequent than it used to be. The out to in swing path was down to me casting to start my downswing, but thanks to 'thecoach' posting in the 'Ask the Experts' section I've cured that, but I still allow my upper body to turn to much before impact, the bad result now is a straight pull rather than a slice. I know to cure that I need to keep my shoulder pointing right of target, or at least that is the feeling, but I'm finding that really hard to control.

When I do get it right, it is majestic, well to me it is, the ball flies straight and looks like the shots you see the pros hit on shot tracer. and takes us back to the beginning of this post, where a good shot makes it seem all worthwhile.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ẁ
You're dead right a couple of good shots and it does all seem worth while. I can hit good shots, I can par and birdie holes, at some point I've parred every hole on my course, just unfortunately not in the same round. So I know I'm capable of putting a good round together.

But, my swing is to inconsistent to allow that.

I do know what is causing my bad shots, weight a little too much on the back foot and an out to in swing path on occasion. Having the weight stay back causes me fats and thins, though thankfully this is not quite a thing of the past but is a lost less frequent than it used to be. The out to in swing path was down to me casting to start my downswing, but thanks to 'thecoach' posting in the 'Ask the Experts' section I've cured that, but I still allow my upper body to turn to much before impact, the bad result now is a straight pull rather than a slice. I know to cure that I need to keep my shoulder pointing right of target, or at least that is the feeling, but I'm finding that really hard to control.

When I do get it right, it is majestic, well to me it is, the ball flies straight and looks like the shots you see the pros hit on shot tracer. and takes us back to the beginning of this post, where a good shot makes it seem all worthwhile.

If you can find a consistent swing you can make good inroads into that handicap. You don't even need to have a picture perfect swing to do this. I find with myself and others, if I can find a consistent shape, either fade/draw, it is much easier to get the ball around in a decent number.

Do you always aim straight at the target? a consistent 10yard fade is much better than a roll of the dice pull or slice.

Just something to think about.