Mayweather vs McGregor - Official

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Conor is destroying Floyd in the mental warfare and I do honestly believe that could have a big impact come fight night. I think Floyd thought they'd catch Conor out by not telling him the format, but cutting off his mic on the first night, by making Conor talk first but it has majorly back-fired. Conor still came out on top on night one, and absolutely ruined Floyd last night. The "I make money" "You owe money" comeback was brilliant, as were the jokes about Floyd not being able to read. Conor is on another level when it comes to this stuff, he is the greatest talker in the history of sports. I can see a big upset coming here and it's going to be magnificent.

Also, was nice to see Rory shouting out Conor, complementing him on his mental strength and his effective use of visualisation this week. Great to see. Still amazes me that Conor has come so far. I remember watching his last Cage Warriors fight and thinking he could be something special, never imagined that 5 years later we'd be in this position. Shows the power of hard work and self belief.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...mcilroy-lauds-conor-mcgregors-mental-strength

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Conor is destroying Floyd in the mental warfare and I do honestly believe that could have a big impact come fight night. I think Floyd thought they'd catch Conor out by not telling him the format, but cutting off his mic on the first night, by making Conor talk first but it has majorly back-fired. Conor still came out on top on night one, and absolutely ruined Floyd last night. The "I make money" "You owe money" comeback was brilliant, as were the jokes about Floyd not being able to read. Conor is on another level when it comes to this stuff, he is the greatest talker in the history of sports. I can see a big upset coming here and it's going to be magnificent.

Also, was nice to see Rory shouting out Conor, complementing him on his mental strength and his effective use of visualisation this week. Great to see. Still amazes me that Conor has come so far. I remember watching his last Cage Warriors fight and thinking he could be something special, never imagined that 5 years later we'd be in this position. Shows the power of hard work and self belief.

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...mcilroy-lauds-conor-mcgregors-mental-strength

Oh my god, you really are a fan boy. The greatest talker in the history of sports? I think Ali might have something to say about that. McGregor doesn't even come close.

taking the piss out of someone for their inability to read? Classy

McGregor can talk all he likes. On fight night he won't be able to walk the walk and will get schooled big time.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hell yeah I'm a fanboy, and I'm proud of it. I've followed Conor since before his UFC debut, so to see him where he is now is incredible. I've also stopped doubting him. He's been doubted all the way to this point. There was no way he was going to be able to handle Brandao's all-round game, then Poirier was going to be far too good, then Siver was going to out-strike him, then he faced his biggest test and there was no way he was beating a stud wrestler in Mendes, then onto the un-conquerable Aldo, then he was never going to avenge his loss to Diaz and was never getting past a stud wrestler and striker like Alvarez. He's proved everyone wrong every time, and other than the first Diaz fight has predicted the outcome every single time. Comes a point where you just have to believe him. I might be absolutely wrong, but I can see him shocking the world and knocking Floyd out. We will soon find out.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hell yeah I'm a fanboy, and I'm proud of it. I've followed Conor since before his UFC debut, so to see him where he is now is incredible. I've also stopped doubting him. He's been doubted all the way to this point. There was no way he was going to be able to handle Brandao's all-round game, then Poirier was going to be far too good, then Siver was going to out-strike him, then he faced his biggest test and there was no way he was beating a stud wrestler in Mendes, then onto the un-conquerable Aldo, then he was never going to avenge his loss to Diaz and was never getting past a stud wrestler and striker like Alvarez. He's proved everyone wrong every time, and other than the first Diaz fight has predicted the outcome every single time. Comes a point where you just have to believe him. I might be absolutely wrong, but I can see him shocking the world and knocking Floyd out. We will soon find out.

I'm not a MMA fan per say, more of a casual follower. I am a big boxing fan though.

There is no way a peak mayweather gets beat off a novice boxer. Mosley, De la Hoya, Hatton, manny, Canelo would've all handled McGregor comfortably in a boxing ring, And plenty of others that Mayweather beat quite easily.

One thing I have noticed about MMA fighters is they're terrible defensively against punches. Probably why they're so many KO's

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are a few factors that have to be considered when thinking about defensive boxing in MMA. Firstly the gloves are a lot smaller which definitely plays a factor, secondly, a lot of guys are worried about the takedown so will keep their hands lower so that they're ready to counter the takedown, secure underhooks or a whizzer and work towards a dominant position. They're also thinking about initiating takedowns themselves, catching leg-kicks, so many more factors involved than simply defensive or attacking boxing.

Also, guys get knocked out in Boxing matches all the time but the incredibly dangerous 10-count system allows them just enough time to recover and continue fighting. This isn't the case in MMA, hence why there are so many quick finishes.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good to see you defending your man mate I think you're getting a wee tad excited about him though. Mcgregor is a great businessman, he knows exactly what he's doing playing the media. Also a fantastic athlete and UFC fighter, no question about that. All the fights you mention have been in his own arena under his usual rules though. You've said a lot of the things yourself in the last post though which show about 90% of his skills are largely irrelevant. He's going to be fighting his subconscious mind continually.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
These pre fight conferences are interesting viewing but both coming out looking and sounding like, errr, cockerels.

Presumably it is 12 rounds of 3 mins boxing? Is McGregor going to last more than a few rounds swinging leather looking for that magic one punch? Has he got the staying power to go deep?

Things in McG favour is belief, youth and TMTs age and inactivity. The rest points to a schooling.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
These pre-match press conferences are farcical and getting more so and the board of control needs to start sanctioning these and deducting parts of the purse. They are becoming borderline violent and surely promoting a wrong message that has nothing to do with promoting the fight

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you watched the press conferences for this fight? Been no violence, and what message would you expect them to be promoting? These guys are going to step into a ring and fight. They're going to put gloves on and try and knock eachother out. They're going to talk some trash. If you're expecting to tune in to a press conference to see two competitors complimenting eachother, first of all you're watching the wrong sport, and second of all, you're definitely watching the wrong two fighters.

As for Conor's cardio. MMA is far more taxing than a boxing match, he definitely has the gas. If he can go 5 5-minute rounds with Diaz, he can easily do 12 3-minute round chasing Mayweather around. Won't last that long though, it'll be over inside 4, with Floyd flat out on the canvas, as Conor predicts.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Have you watched the press conferences for this fight? Been no violence, and what message would you expect them to be promoting? These guys are going to step into a ring and fight. They're going to put gloves on and try and knock eachother out. They're going to talk some trash. If you're expecting to tune in to a press conference to see two competitors complimenting eachother, first of all you're watching the wrong sport, and second of all, you're definitely watching the wrong two fighters.

As for Conor's cardio. MMA is far more taxing than a boxing match, he definitely has the gas. If he can go 5 5-minute rounds with Diaz, he can easily do 12 3-minute round chasing Mayweather around. Won't last that long though, it'll be over inside 4, with Floyd flat out on the canvas, as Conor predicts.

How much wedge have you put down on that outcome?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha, also not betting because I'm likely wrong, but hey, it's fun to make ridiculous statements on a forum. If it comes in I look clever, if it doesn't, I pretend the posts were never made. No risk.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have you watched the press conferences for this fight? Been no violence, and what message would you expect them to be promoting? These guys are going to step into a ring and fight. They're going to put gloves on and try and knock eachother out. They're going to talk some trash.

Granted this fights hype has been well behaved but look at the recent other big fights where there have been scuffles. What purpose is that really serving?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Haha, also not betting because I'm likely wrong, but hey, it's fun to make ridiculous statements on a forum. If it comes in I look clever, if it doesn't, I pretend the posts were never made. No risk.

Careful, I'm sure some in the past have been known to screenshot posts in the hope of proving a point in the future 😂😂😂😂😂

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Granted this fights hype has been well behaved but look at the recent other big fights where there have been scuffles. What purpose is that really serving?

You obviously haven't got a clue about boxing or combat sports in general and are merely posting for the sake of it.
The scuffles are because these fighters have psyched themselves up so much during their camps, knowing full well they're going to come to blows with their opponent, they're like coiled springs ready to go. Also some of them genuinely don't like who they're up against. Other times it's to try and get a mental edge on who they're facing.