My season: The good, the bad and the downright awful (Very long post)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I always find if you big yourself up too much the golfing gods will soon bring yo, as the song goes "Straight back down to earth"

play golf and what will be will be.

Lollfred

Head Pro
Visit site
not wanting to sound at all negative .. but you seem to be striving for a single figure handicap by playing in far to many comps .... give them a rest and start trying to enjoy yourself a little ..... stop putting so much pressure on yourself .....

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
not wanting to sound at all negative .. but you seem to be striving for a single figure handicap by playing in far to many comps .... give them a rest and start trying to enjoy yourself a little ..... stop putting so much pressure on yourself .....

You could've hit the nail on the head there. I made the claim that within a year and before H4H this year I would be in single figures, perhaps subconsciously I put myself under to much pressure to try and succeed and playing every week in comps probably didn't help.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could've hit the nail on the head there. I made the claim that within a year and before H4H this year I would be in single figures, perhaps subconsciously I put myself under to much pressure to try and succeed and playing every week in comps probably didn't help.

To be fair it was a very bold prediction and one that was very unlikely to happen. I mean had you even shot a single digit over par? Even in a friendly knock?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

And then again it might not have mattered what you did or which way you approached it. It may be that you just need more time to get to grips with the game, practice more & groove a proper swing. Plenty of practice and the odd lesson through the winter should give you a realistic chance of improving your handicap next year.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry Dave but I just have to ask.

Do you know how you were given a handicap of 17.1 with the three cards you put in?

If it was the Nordman set up, par 72, your 3 cards would be 82 (+10), 83 (+11), 85 (+13)
If it was the Crombie set up, par 68, your three cards would be 82 (+14), 83 (+15), 85 (+17)

So if we assume it was the Crombie then he's taken your worst card, I thought it was normally your best?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site

Do you know how you were given a handicap of 17.1 with the three cards you put in?

If it was the Nordman set up, par 72, your 3 cards would be 82 (+10), 83 (+11), 85 (+13)
If it was the Crombie set up, par 68, your three cards would be 82 (+14), 83 (+15), 85 (+17)

So if we assume it was the Crombie then he's taken your worst card, I thought it was normally your best?

It was the Crombie my three cards were scored from.

Ironically, this season I shot an 86, but it was through a spell of bad weather and was on the Crombie, off 18 at the time I played to handicap. The frustrating thing was that the weekend before and there after were playing the Nordmann. Had my 86 been on the Nordmann I would've got cut, guess this season was just not meant to be.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ironically, this season I shot an 86, but it was through a spell of bad weather and was on the Crombie, off 18 at the time I played to handicap. The frustrating thing was that the weekend before and there after were playing the Nordmann. Had my 86 been on the Nordmann I would've got cut, guess this season was just not meant to be.

That's great Dave but it doesn't really answer my question about the handicap you were given.

Also the 86 doesn't really transfer because the Nordman is 4 strokes more therefore your score would of probably 90 not 86.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm presuming Richy means
With cards of 82 (+14) , 83 (+15) , 85 (+17)......par 68, SSS 68
Then normally you would recieve the lower number of those, ie a 14 h/cap

Also seems strange to give you 17.1
Think my club normally allocates a full number as a start handicap

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm presuming Richy means
With cards of 82 (+14) , 83 (+15) , 85 (+17)......par 68, SSS 68
Then normally you would recieve the lower number of those, ie a 14 h/cap

Also seems strange to give you 17.1
Think my club normally allocates a full number as a start handicap

Does seem odd to me, if the SSS is the same as par and your best card was +14 then you should have been given a 14 h/c far as in know.

Also I've never heard or anywhere giving someone a new h/c with .1 or similar on it.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Either way chin up Dave, golf is to be enjoyed not be a constant battle.
At the end of the day does it matter what handicap you play off, ok it would be awesome to get to single figures but having good crack and knocking in the odd birdie is what matters...to me anyway ;)

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being my first HC, I thought what I was given was the norm, admittedly I did think it was a little high, especially after reading some of the posts within the forum on handicaps, but not being 100% sure on how HC's were worked out I figured it must be correct.

No matter, just means I'll get 2 strokes on the stoke index 1 holes for the time being :)

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Being my first HC, I thought what I was given was the norm, admittedly I did think it was a little high, especially after reading some of the posts within the forum on handicaps, but not being 100% sure on how HC's were worked out I figured it must be correct.

No matter, just means I'll get 2 strokes on the stoke index 1 holes for the time being :)

Is that the 16th?

Bloody tough hole that and requires a very good drive to allow you to get anywhere near the green in 2.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 16th at Whickham is SI1, long up hill drive, followed by a long second, I have parred it a couple of times and a few weeks back with a strong tail wind, I hit a stonking drive up the middle followed by a 9 iron to just right of the green, then went a 3 putt :rolleyes:

Lollfred

Head Pro
Visit site
give the comps a miss this winter, practice, enjoy yourself, have a few lessons and come back raring to go in the spring :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Getting to and staying in single figures is not all that easy. There are plenty of guys in and around the low teens trying to make that jump. I thought one of my good pals back home would easily get it done (as they say on TV). He's had some low rounds in practice, shot some decent comp scores but didn't get past 10.something.

If you are on 18 and want to move in the right direction, I would concentrate on driving and short game. These will help you out the most. I wouldn't waste months of the off-season trying to groove a tour standard iron swing. My two cents.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Getting to and staying in single figures is not all that easy. There are plenty of guys in and around the low teens trying to make that jump. I thought one of my good pals back home would easily get it done (as they say on TV). He's had some low rounds in practice, shot some decent comp scores but didn't get past 10.something.

If you are on 18 and want to move in the right direction, I would concentrate on driving and short game. These will help you out the most. I wouldn't waste months of the off-season trying to groove a tour standard iron swing. My two cents.

If I can get my club to come back down my intended target line with the club face square to that line, then I'll be a happy Geordie. At the very least the ball will go where I'm wanting it to.