Mayweather vs McGregor - Official

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why are people bothered how much money this fight makes? You aren't getting a cut of it so why the fascination?

For me I like to see the best compete and McGregor is far from the best when it comes to boxing.

Not one peep on here last week when Terence Crawford became the first undisputed champion in over a decade. More people should be talking about that, than this circus.

Caught up with this this morning after my hols. What a body punch. Beautiful skills and took out a top level fighter in Indongo. Garcia next or move up to fight, errrr, McGregor? :p:rofl:

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Caught up with this this morning after my hols. What a body punch. Beautiful skills and took out a top level fighter in Indongo. Garcia next or move up to fight, errrr, McGregor? :p:rofl:

I think the ref could've given him a minute and he still wouldn't have made it.

I'd like to see him stay where he is for a few fights. Garcia fight would be good, he's already beaten him twice in the amatuers.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why are people bothered how much money this fight makes? You aren't getting a cut of it so why the fascination?

For me I like to see the best compete and McGregor is far from the best when it comes to boxing.

Not one peep on here last week when Terence Crawford became the first undisputed champion in over a decade. More people should be talking about that, than this circus.
What do you think of Crawford? I've never really taken to him. Great achievement unifying the division and a fantastic finish, always love a body shot KO. I just find myself not overly enthused by him. I remember when he fought Ricky Burns, he looked decent but didn't think he was that special. Maybe I was wrong.

The Mikey Garcia fight would be good. Garcia is a great fighter, always in exciting fights. I didn't know Crawford beat him in the amateurs. Apparently he also beat Danny Garcia. I think he should try and defend the unified titles for a while before moving up himself - if the politics allows.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reckon it'll start about 5am - really depends on how long the rest of the main card fights go, but if the majority go the distance it'll be about 5am.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Reckon it'll start about 5am - really depends on how long the rest of the main card fights go, but if the majority go the distance it'll be about 5am.

Thanks, then I'll prob watch it (anytime time from about 3am with you and I'll be up and its not a pay per view fight anyway)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
What do you think of Crawford? I've never really taken to him. Great achievement unifying the division and a fantastic finish, always love a body shot KO. I just find myself not overly enthused by him. I remember when he fought Ricky Burns, he looked decent but didn't think he was that special. Maybe I was wrong.

The Mikey Garcia fight would be good. Garcia is a great fighter, always in exciting fights. I didn't know Crawford beat him in the amateurs. Apparently he also beat Danny Garcia. I think he should try and defend the unified titles for a while before moving up himself - if the politics allows.

I saw Mikey G's last fight and tbh, I didn't think he was that great. Mind you, Broner was appalling for a bloke that had a bit of talent a few years back. I'd fancy Crawford to beat Mikey G based on what I've seen from their last fights.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;6i2k5d2coiU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i2k5d2coiU[/video]

Surprise, surprise, Paulie's a little snake. How does he still have a job working the fight on Showtime?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
What makes you think that? He was under the 154 allowance, didn't look particularly drawn out (look at his weight cut photos at 145 if you want to see him drawn out) and only cut 12lbs this week which is nothing. MMA guys are used to cutting quite a bit of weight on fight week.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Help me on this..
They've done the weigh in
CM now saying he's going to put on 10lbs before the fight??
How does that work?
Surely he's a whole weight division up now..?
Makes the weigh in a bit of a farce doesn't it?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
No that's how it works. You cut as much water weight and diet as much as you can to make the weight category and then as you re-hydrate and start eating properly again it goes back on. Not sure if that's how it works in Boxing, certainly not how it works for Floyd, but that's how it works in MMA. Guys regularly cut 15-20lbs on fight week, even more for some of the bigger guys.

Conor's going to be probably 170 on fight night, he's going to out-weight Floyd by quite a substantial amount.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So what's the point of the weigh in if it's likely to bear no resemblance to the actual weight of the fighters on fight night..?

I know a lot of people are excited by the fight but this is just confirming my view that the whole thing is just a circus.
I'm completely out.....

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know but it's a fundamental core of combat sports whether it's Boxing, MMA or even amateur wrestling. You prove you can make the weight category and then as you put the water weight and start eating again you go back to your natural weight. This particular weight-in is no more a circus than any other weigh-in, Floyd's just an odd case because he's happy to be under-sized for his weight category.

It's certainly safer to do that, you can really damage your cardio with a bad weight cut and it's proven that you're more susceptible to traumatic brain injury after a bad weight cut because if you're really de-hydrated it can take longer for the water to return to the brain as much as required. So it's pretty dumb and quite dangerous but it's just something that happens across all combat sports.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its exactly the same in boxing. They cut and then re-hydrate back up 10-20 pounds before a fight.

Not indicative of a farce at all Imurg. But what it does probably highlight is how Mayweather is more comfortable at this weight. If the fight goes into the longer rounds (unlikely IMO) then Conor will be blowing out his behind and gassed.