Matfen Hall, any good?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've only played it once, not long after it opened. It was long and some of the holes were plain unfair. I spoke to one of the assistant pro's there and they struggled to break par there, it was too tough. If they can't.................

The other course is a very good hotel, golf trip course. Good fun, a decent test but it wont beat you up. I think they wanted a very different alternative, something to boast about. Problem is they went a bit too far and they made a course that most amateurs didn't enjoy.

I went back the following year to play the Prince Bishops course and spoke to a member. He said first year the corporates, the societies all wanted to play the new course. That year they returned to the other course, they didn't want to play the cathedral again. I've heard that repeated by charity day organisers and the like. People wouldn't return to that course if the event was on it.

I haven't played it since so I don't know if they have made amendments to it, whether the course has developed more.

If you are all single figure players then you may fancy the challenge but I think there are better alternatives for you .

So is it because its difficult that people don't like it? We are all single figures but all "upper" single figures 8, 8 and 9.

Ideally we want courses on site and more than one for variation but its proving difficult with availability. Cost plays a major part as one of the guys isn't working just now.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So is it because its difficult that people don't like it? We are all single figures but all "upper" single figures 8, 8 and 9.

Ideally we want courses on site and more than one for variation but its proving difficult with availability. Cost plays a major part as one of the guys isn't working just now.
Hopefully someone else will chip in here because it is a while since I played it. I remember coming off feeling quite flat and anti it. Long and very difficult is my memory but I can't help more than that now, I've blanked it a bit ?.

With your handicaps you will have a better chance than many with it.

If your choice is between there and Matfen then I would definitely point you towards Matfen.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t mind the Cathedral but if you are going to play it get a buggy. It’s a long walk without one.
I played it in a team game a few years ago and I was knackered after. If payed last year in a buggy and it was much better.

It’s long and quite difficult but it’s good apart from the 17th. That hole is a joke.

I like the Prince Bishop's course.

If you want a third course try to get on Brancepeth. It’s just on the other side of Durham.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hopefully someone else will chip in here because it is a while since I played it. I remember coming off feeling quite flat and anti it. Long and very difficult is my memory but I can't help more than that now, I've blanked it a bit ?.

With your handicaps you will have a better chance than many with it.

If your choice is between there and Matfen then I would definitely point you towards Matfen.

Cheers. Looks like Matfen is not available on the dates we need. So we are looking at all alternatives now.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Cheers. Looks like Matfen is not available on the dates we need. So we are looking at all alternatives now.

Rockliffe! I have a different view from you when playing new courses. First time, I always think "I wish I could play that hole again" when I've realised I got my tactics wrong. I invariably enjoy the course more on the second & subsequent visits. If you go to Rockliffe, have a round at Brass Castle, Middlesbrough Golf Club. It's a stunning parkland course, one of the best in the North East, a real hidden gem.

Diamond

Visit site
Looking at staying at Rockliffe Hall May 2021. Reading this old thread it looks like the course is excellent. It’s 3 couples and the 2 blokes play golf but are not members of clubs so a little raw. Will Rockliffe still be a good choice?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at staying at Rockliffe Hall May 2021. Reading this old thread it looks like the course is excellent. It’s 3 couples and the 2 blokes play golf but are not members of clubs so a little raw. Will Rockliffe still be a good choice?
Rockcliffe is long and tough. It is not a course for raw players, imo. If you want to be in the same area I would suggest Ramside Hall offers a better option if the golf is important to the break. Nice hotel still, spa, just off the A1 a bit further north from Rockcliffe, a good course but not one that will leave you drained afterwards.

The accomodation at Rockcliffe is better, it is a high quality place, so you will need to make the judgement as to what the priority is. Rockliffe is more special, all round, so maybe you just stay there, play it and your mates have to suck it up if they find it too hard.

Diamond

Visit site
Rockcliffe is long and tough. It is not a course for raw players, imo. If you want to be in the same area I would suggest Ramside Hall offers a better option if the golf is important to the break. Nice hotel still, spa, just off the A1 a bit further north from Rockcliffe, a good course but not one that will leave you drained afterwards.

The accomodation at Rockcliffe is better, it is a high quality place, so you will need to make the judgement as to what the priority is. Rockliffe is more special, all round, so maybe you just stay there, play it and your mates have to suck it up if they find it too hard.

Priority is to keep the ladies happy which means Rockliffe. We could drive to another course potentially.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Priority is to keep the ladies happy which means Rockliffe. We could drive to another course potentially.
In that case definitely go to Rockcliffe. I was lucky enough to stay over, play and get fed on a corporate jolly. It is a genuinely high quality set up, very classy. It is a very good choice (y).

There are a good few courses nearby that should fit the brief but if you get a decent deal as part of the stay then play the course for the sake of convenience. It is a very good course, beautifully maintained but just a long old walk and a bit of a tough ask for part time golfers, unlike us pro's huh. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Anyway, you will have a lovely stay there, it is a pretty sure bet.

Diamond

Visit site
In that case definitely go to Rockcliffe. I was lucky enough to stay over, play and get fed on a corporate jolly. It is a genuinely high quality set up, very classy. It is a very good choice (y).

There are a good few courses nearby that should fit the brief but if you get a decent deal as part of the stay then play the course for the sake of convenience. It is a very good course, beautifully maintained but just a long old walk and a bit of a tough ask for part time golfers, unlike us pro's huh. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Anyway, you will have a lovely stay there, it is a pretty sure bet.

I might suggest they play the reds...I may join them!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Rockcliffe's claim to fame was it's length, 7879 yards off the back which made it the longest course in Europe, it may well still be.

jack1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played matfen a few years ago and for the price i was amzed they could keep it open. Same set up in sothern england would be three times the price.
Another suggestion is to stay in bamburgh where there are three hotels, play bamburgh castle and either seahouses and/or goswick?