Matchplay and course rant

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Need to get this one off my chest. Final of our club singles this morning and I'm playing a higher handicapper. Get out on the course and the greens have not even been swept of dew let alone cut. Every putt is greeted by a line of spray. Approach shots either skid across or stop dead. Other guy not really affected by it at all.

End result is I get beat because the club GM has told all the greenkeepers to work round the clubhouse building benches and a new patio area.

Yeah thanks a lot.

Sorry for the rant but it was either this or kick the cat half way to Bristol.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry you lost but leave that cat alone. Don't know why anyone would even say something like that in jest!

Back to the golf. I don't get how you were affected by this and your oppo wasn't? Please explain.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So the other bloke (your opposition) wasn't at all bothered by the fact that the greens were covered in dew and hadn't even been cut... :whistle:

I'd be more concerned with the fact that a high(er) handicapper handed you yer arse on a plate under the same conditions, either 'you' had a bad day or 'he' had a good day, that or he's playing better than his handicap would suggest if you know what I mean... :smirk:

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your opponent wasn't bothered by it, maybe he accepted it and played the course as it was. As you were bothered it got in your head and you looked for a reason as to why you lost, instead of playing the course as it was.

Just an observation.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If your opponent wasn't bothered by it, maybe he accepted it and played the course as it was. As you were bothered it got in your head and you looked for a reason as to why you lost, instead of playing the course as it was.

Just an observation.
This. Just play what's there. It was exactly the same for your opponent, so if it didn't affect him, perhaps he's better at dealing with different conditions than you, or better at hiding it. Either way, you both played the same course so that's not really anything to moan about.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Completely disagree with the rant part, but can see where the OP is coming from regarding the conditions.

No offence to higher handicappers (though no doubt it will be taken as such), but most of the time from 10'-20' it's a 2 putt and from around the green it's a chip and 2 putts.

The OP would expect to hole a few from 10-20' and get up and down most of the time from around the green.

Conditions made it harder for the OP but made no difference to the opponent in terms of shots taken.

That's my guess as to what it means anyway.

Just one o'them things. You have to adjust quickly or get left behind.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh, l do like this type of thread. Seemingly just a simple moan, but turns out to have a little bit of all sorts it it.

Firstly, sorry, but l have no real sympathy with the OP's rant. You lost. And the only reason is because you didn't beat him. No one else's fault so no point trying to blame someone else.

But what intrigued me was a club final being played on a Monday morning? What sort of club (or final) is that?

Then there's indignant outrage expressed over the OP's use of a metaphorical cat. Only in Britain could that happen ... (me, I'm on the side of the woman with the wheelie bin...)

And finally, there's the bit about the greenkeepers. Nothing to do with the OP losing, but really ... who on earth puts greenkeepers on patios & benches duty? Not a good use of their skills & time at all. We don't even ask ours to do the gardening, let alone do building jobs.

Perhaps it was a case of right rant, wrong reason ...

Last edited:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The more unpredictable the golf course conditions are the harder it is to shoot to even par

Of course it affects a low handicap more, I have benefitted many times as a high handicap when people I play against have trrrible luck from an unexpected bounce or something

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh, l do like this type of thread. Seemingly just a simple moan, but turns out to have a little bit of all sorts it it.

Firstly, sorry, but l have no real sympathy with the OP's rant. You lost. And the only reason is because you didn't beat him. No one else's fault so no point trying to blame someone else.

But what intrigued me was a club final being played on a Monday morning? What sort of club (or final) is that?

Then there's indignant outrage expressed over the OP's use of a metaphorical cat. Only in Britain could that happen ... (me, I'm on the side of the woman with the wheelie bin...)

And finally, there's the bit about the greenkeepers. Nothing to do with the OP losing, but really ... who on earth puts greenkeepers on patios & benches duty? Not a good use of their skills & time at all. We don't even ask ours to do the gardening, let alone do building jobs.

Perhaps it was a case of right rant, wrong reason ...

I'd agree pretty much with this ^^^^^

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a finals day. 6 trophies up for grabs on the day. Creates a great atmosphere on the course and in the club afterwards.

Also gives members something to aim towards.
And also ensures the membership give way to those playing their final so there is minimal impact on their match.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Sorry you lost but leave that cat alone. Don't know why anyone would even say something like that in jest!

Back to the golf. I don't get how you were affected by this and your oppo wasn't? Please explain.
I had a mate, now sadly deceased, who, when he'd had a bad round, would say "I'm going to go home & strangle the budgie" He didn't even have a budgie & I can't remember anyone ever taking offence. Bit like David Moyes' "give you a slap" comment.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few things come to mind.

1. As has been said, why on earth is a final on a Monday morning??????

2. The "cat" comment.....lord in heaven it's just a saying.

3. If a final is to be taking place on a certain day, why isn't the course in the best condition it can be on that given day?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Boohoo, there is water on the greens ... seriously, what would you have done if it had rained that day? Sorry, but this has the smell of a sore loser to me. The greens were the same for both of you. You got beat. Get over it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Boohoo, there is water on the greens ... seriously, what would you have done if it had rained that day? Sorry, but this has the smell of a sore loser to me. The greens were the same for both of you. You got beat. Get over it.

Not water, dew. It sits on the surface and should have been swatted away by the greenkeepers in the morning. Very poor show IMO.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
You lost deal with it! you got beat not because of the GM or Greenkeepers! you lost because you obviously failed to deal with the conditions and lost your head!

Why would any club sweep the dew haha! Deal with the conditions put before you!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
You lost deal with it! you got beat not because of the GM or Greenkeepers! you lost because you obviously failed to deal with the conditions and lost your head!

Why would any club sweep the dew haha! Deal with the conditions put before you!

I agree with the first part. But sweeping dew and raking bunkers is what pretty much every club does first thing in the morning. The problem with dew is that if you tee off at 07:30 say, the first 9 will be heavy with dew and slow and then the sun will get rid of it so the back 9 will be normal speed, very frustrating.