Thoughts on this scenario please!

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Be interested in peoples opinions on this scenario. It's completely irrelevent now as it happened a while ago, but thought it might make for interesting discussion. Apologies if this is long!

Me and 11 other guys I know get together once a year for a friendly golf tournament. 6 against 6. A hotel stay and three rounds in total over the weekend. A mixture of fourballs, foursomes and singles. A mini Ryder Cup, if you like. Lots of beer, lots of banter. Best weekend of the year!

So it's day one and we're playing three lots of fourballs, I'm playing in the second group out. We're approaching the 14th green and me and my PP are 2 down, having been behind most of the game. The game in front of us has finished and gone in, there's a game still going behind us. Me and my playing partner (HCP 24 and 20 respectively, not the most experienced golfers in the world) are playing against a HCP8 and a HCP18. HCP8 is a very good mate of mine. Experienced golfer and ultra knowledgeable about the game - but ultra competitive as well, wouldn't give you an inch!

It's been raining on and off all afternoon but all of a sudden it utterly p***es it down. The type of rain that makes your head bleed. Within a few minutes, we're soaked through to the skin and the greens are waterlogged. There are literally streams of water running over them and when you try to putt through one, your ball just stops in the water. Me and my PP are both thinking "Should we really still be playing?" but there's no sign the other two are stopping, so we continue. We halve the hole and are 2 down, four to play.

No sign of the rain letting up, we get to the 15th green. After each having to putt through two "rivers" on the green on the way to the hole, me and PP lose that one. We're 3 down, three to play.

As we're heading to our buggies, the buggies from the game behind us are approaching. One of the guys from that game who's on my team says "The course is unplayable. We're calling it a half and going in." There are nods of agreement from their opponents. Transpires the guys on my team were 1 up and have been ahead for most of the game, but they're happy to rescind their lead and call it a half.

Mr 8 who I'm playing against turns away and mutters something, which sounds like "We aren't stopping" or words to the effect. He gets in his buggy and they head over to the next tee and tee up. Me and PP look a bit bewildered and ask our guys from the other game what we're supposed to do. Are we to carry on playing or what? There is uncertainty, some shrugging all round and in the end our guys say "It's for you and your opponents to decide".

Clearly there's going to be no discussion unless we bring it up. But in our position of 3 down, three to play, how can we do so without looking like we are angling after an (undeserved?) half? So we play on. Hole 16, par 3. Mr 8 takes a beautiful tee shot which plops down dead within a few feet of the hole. His PP does nothing of note. Both me and my PP miss the green, pitch on and find we have more rivers to contend with. No chance of halving it, so we concede and lose the game 4&2.

So, what should have happened there? The game behind us had decided the course was unplayable so called it a day. But we felt compelled to continue because of the scoring position we were in. It's highly unlikely we would have come back to halve the game from 3 down with three to play and yes the greens were the same for both sides, but doubtless the water severely affected our putting on the 14th and 15th greens.

If you were in my position, what would you have done? What about if you were Mr 8 and his PP, would you have conceded a half point from the great position you were in, or would you have played on? I didn't feel I could argue that we should half the game and head inside. Perhaps if I was more experienced I might have done.

I should point out that this was late in the day, dusk wasn't far off. No sign of rain stopping, so going in and coming back out later wasn't an option. Neither was finishing the round the day after, as we had two rounds to play that day and were on a tight schedule as it was. Doubt we'd have been able to anyway, it was a packed golf resort.

It didn't cause a problem by the way. It didn't get mentioned or discussed afterwards. Overall at the end of the weekend the points were halved, so you could argue it was vital either way. But I've thought about it a few times and wondered what the correct course of events should have been.

Thoughts and opinions most welcome!

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Jeezo my head was bleeding reading that. The course can only be declared unplayable by a club officials I believe. If you wanted to head in you could've conceded or called a half but only if your opponents agreed to it, that would be my take on it. Your mate had every right to continue unless it was agreed otherwise.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Id have picked up on the 15th green and headed in, unplayable course on holiday? and if the 8 handicapper was that desperate to claim it as a win on a boys jolly weekend Id have let him have it, then taken the proverbial out of him for it constantly

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If the greens are flooded and you can't take relief anywhere then it's game abandoned for me and Mr 8 just has to accept it

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Id have picked up on the 15th green and headed in, unplayable course on holiday? and if the 8 handicapper was that desperate to claim it as a win on a boys jolly weekend Id have let him have it, then taken the proverbial out of him for it constantly

Same as that for me. He sounds like a bit of a tool to be fair.
I'd tell him to stay at home next time too.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Same as that for me. He sounds like a bit of a tool to be fair.
I'd tell him to stay at home next time too.

I'm in this territory. I've done golf weekends, brilliant fun. We play to win but most of all we play for fun. If anyone became as desperate to win as this bloke then I would not want to be away with them.

Tell him to stay out and play in the rain, walk on in and take the mickey for being so desperate to beat two higher handicappers. Shame him. It is not about rules, it is about why have you gone away.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm in this territory. I've done golf weekends, brilliant fun. We play to win but most of all we play for fun. If anyone became as desperate to win as this bloke then I would not want to be away with them.

Tell him to stay out and play in the rain, walk on in and take the mickey for being so desperate to beat two higher handicappers. Shame him. It is not about rules, it is about why have you gone away.
yes I am with this .
You should have told him you think the game should be halted and go out later to finish off.
If you can’t get back out tough,
If you can great .
Dont let anyone bully you into carrying on just because he’s off 8 .

Its a lads jolly for gods sake , not worth a soaking.
If you can’t put that’s it you can call a halt , leave him let him play in the rain on his own.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mr 8 Handicapper sounds like a grad A pain the in rear end and like others said, not the sort of guy you want on a mates weekend where the quality of golf and the outcome is secondary to being mates together and having some fun. I'd have gone in and conceded the match. Conditions like that aren't what you want to be playing in for ultimately a fun game. Had it been the monthly medal, then I'd have stayed out until someone in charge of the competition made the decision to suspend/cancel play

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Mr8 and his partner shouldn’t have been put in that position

Before Mr8 needs to decide whether its right to play on I’d be saying ‘You guys have had us all day long, well played’ concede the match, shake hands and go buy them a beer

Absolute nuts to consider any claim for a half being 3 down 3 to play on a mates weekend

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I would have asked my pp if he is okay with conceding and then done just that. Unless mr8 had pissed me off immensely beforehand. Then I'd probably gone on to keep him wet and miserable for a while longer. :ears:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I was you I probably would have just conceded at 3 & 3 after seeing the other group head in. Slim chance you would come back, especially if the conditions are now unplayable so not worth having a potential argument about it. I can see why they didn't offer a half when they'd very nearly won the match, he was probably just waiting/hoping on you conceding it, but he can't really ask you to do that outright.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

I would have just give them the match if I did not wish to continue and then taken the mickey about it.

Cols_Ears

Hacker
Visit site
Mr8 and his partner shouldn’t have been put in that position

Before Mr8 needs to decide whether its right to play on I’d be saying ‘You guys have had us all day long, well played’ concede the match, shake hands and go buy them a beer

Absolute nuts to consider any claim for a half being 3 down 3 to play on a mates weekend
This is how I would feel about it too. Unless the you set rules about weather before you go out, or they close the course then it's up to you to decide how to proceed. Why do you think you should have got a half if you'd been loosing the whole way round, just because it got wetter?

As others have said if you wanted to go in you could always have just conceded. I wouldn't normally go out in the rain but once I'm out there unless it's cold and wet, then I'm likely to play on to the bitter end (I do have decent waterproofs though).

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mr 8hcp sounds like a complete melt, I'd walked in allow them the game. Seriously I'd reconsidered having a mate like that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Mr 8hcp sounds like a complete melt, I'd walked in allow them the game. Seriously I'd reconsidered having a mate like that.

not Mr 8 s fault the OP chose to stay out in the rain despite being 3 down, down to them concede, sounds to me like the real issue here is the OP hoped for a half... not sure why there a people having a dig at the people who where up in that match!!