Fourball Better Ball Matchplay and Handicaps

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I hope you will forgive what is perhaps, a basic question.

I've been invited by someone to pair up for a Fourball Better Ball Matchplay competition this summer. Handicap allowances are described as 90% Difference of Course Handicaps If mixed gender teams/match. Gents receive alignment stroke on Course A. Ladies will receive alignment stroke on Course B.

(We have two courses - and each round would be played on the fourball course for that day.)

Last year was my first as a club member, and I only played some singles comps, including matchplay where we used 100% of course handicap. It was easily learnt.

Can you explain to me how this would work? (If you were to treat it as though I know nothing, and started from the beginning explaining the format, the handicaps, then the alignment strokes please, you wouldn't be far off!)

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
1. Calculate 90% of your Course Handicaps
2. Round those values
3. Lowest CH Player plays off Scratch
4. Other Players play off difference between the lowest value from (2) and their value from (2)

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
To add to Foxholer's post. You are playing for holes as a pair. The player with the lowest net score for the hole wins the hole for their team. Players receive strokes on the holes with a stroke index equal to or lower than the total strokes they get for the round. Probably sounds confusing but I'm sure the players you are competing with will help you and you'll come away with a much better understanding. One of the most enjoyable formats in my view.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not seeking to deflect from answering this, but isn't it something your club should be explaining to members?

In a mixed competition, an allowance has to be made if there is difference in difficulty between the courses being played as shown in the Course Ratings )CR}. If the CR off say the white tees is 72.3 and off the yellow tees it is 70.1, the white course is 2 strokes more difficult than the yellow and in regular stroke play those playing the white course will get 2 strokes knocked off their gross score to equalise it with the scores of those playing off the yellow. These strokes are what you refer to as "alignment" strokes. Stableford is a bit difference in the calculations, but the principle is the same.

It is a convenient and practical way of administering this adjustment in match play to add the two strokes to the course handicaps of those playing the white course, but in fact these adjustments have nothing to do with handicapping as they are based on the difference in the difficulty of the courses, not on the varying abilities of the players.

In a mixed tee, mixed gender competition you use the CR for the gender of each player.

Last edited:

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not seeking to deflect from answering this, but isn't it something your club should be explaining to members?

In a mixed competition, an allowance has to be made if there is difference in difficulty between the courses being played as shown in the Course Ratings )CR}. If the CR off say the white tees is 72.3 and off the yellow tees it is 70.1, the white course is 2 strokes more difficult than the yellow and in regular stroke play those playing the white course will get 2 strokes knocked off their gross score to equalise it with the scores of those playing off the yellow. These strokes are what you refer to as "alignment" strokes. Stableford is a bit difference in the calculations, but the principle is the same.

It is a convenient and practical way of administering this adjustment in match play to adding the two strokes to the course handicaps of those playing the white course, but in fact these adjustments have nothing to do with handicapping as they are based equally on the difference in the difficulty of the courses, not on the varying abilities of the players.

In a mixed tee, mixed gender competition you use the CR for the gender of each player.

Thanks - the explanation of alignment strokes there makes sense.

In answer to your first question, I am brand new to this sort of thing so still learning what the terminology means. When the question arose it was more convenient to me to ask the question here than to my club. When I have asked other things to the club in the past, they have explained things patiently and clearly.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks - the explanation of alignment strokes there makes sense.

In answer to your first question, I am brand new to this sort of thing so still learning what the terminology means. When the question arose it was more convenient to me to ask the question here than to my club. When I have asked other things to the club in the past, they have explained things patiently and clearly.

That's good to hear about your club. I'm not familiar with the expression "alignment strokes" but it makes sense.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's good to hear about your club. I'm not familiar with the expression "alignment strokes" but it makes sense.

One of the things I have learnt through the years is many committee members want to give things their own names that they think of rather than use the correct terminology.
It took me years of 'gentle' persuasion with one organiser to make him understand they were not courtesy shots but course adjustment shots when we played mixed golf.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the things I have learnt through the years is many committee members want to give things their own names that they think of rather than use the correct terminology.
It took me years of 'gentle' persuasion with one organiser to make him understand they were not courtesy shots but course adjustment shots when we played mixed golf.
For many years CONGU did refer to them as courtesy strokes o_O

Swango1980

Visit site
In the OP, it states: "90% Difference of Course Handicaps"

That seems wrong (outdated). It should be more like "the full difference between Playing Handicaps, with Playing Handicaps being 90% of Course Handicaps". Whether the organisers realise this or not is another matter, perhaps the wording is just old wording that has been copied through to this year?