Masters 2023

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
We have woken to the reality that while it is OK to speak of The Big Three, week in week out on the PGAT, when it come to majors weeks, it isnt. We just have The Big Two.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Great win for Rahm and three LIV apparent has-beens in the top 5.
Phil is a has been. Brooks and Reed, not. Its the field they play in LiV tournaments that are has beens, and low compeition. Everyone accepts that Brooks, DJ, Brysom, Smith, and Reed, are top rank, major winning level golfers of now.
No need to correct a point that hasnt been made.

D

Deleted member 31467

I felt for Koepka, he played very well for 3 rounds, maybe his lack of 72 hole rounds this year was the fafactor.
I very much doubt it. The fitness levels and number of balls these top guys hit every day tiredness or lack of concentration shouldn't be a factor. Everyone has a bad day, he just picked Sunday to have his.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I very much doubt it. The fitness levels and number of balls these top guys hit every day tiredness or lack of concentration shouldn't be a factor. Everyone has a bad day, he just picked Sunday to have his.
And everyone has a good day - Lefty picked Sunday his..a 70 would have put him 3 under and not making headlines..

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Not a fitness issue I would agree, but possibly a mental stamina, especially with the disruption to the neat 18 holes per day this weekend.
Golf for these guys is a mental contest as much as physical. I mean look at McIlroy.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Phil is a has been. Brooks and Reed, not. Its the field they play in LiV tournaments that are has beens, and low compeition. Everyone accepts that Brooks, DJ, Brysom, Smith, and Reed, are top rank, major winning level golfers of now.
No need to correct a point that hasnt been made.
Whatever.

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
A few months from now if you were to ask me who came 2nd in the 2023 Masters I probably wouldn't be able to remember ;)

Imurg

Visit site
On the subject of Cantlay's lack of pace, which very obviously got Viktor's back up, they took 4 hrs 50 for 2 ball.
That's obviously slow
But we need to know the gap between them and the group in front of them...if they'd only lost a hole then, although slow, they weren't that far off the pace.
Anyone know how big the gap was..?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
The fashion in golf over the last 10-15 years is that a player will have a hot streak of 2-3 years where they will be on fire but after that the majors either dry up completely or they become very occasional. Rahm is in that streak right now, playing magnificent golf. When you are in that place you need to capitalise and win those majors, not just regular tournaments. They are what cement your place in history. I'm pleased for Rahm that his quality of play is formally recognised by that second major.
Yep. Day, Spieth, Molinari, etc and then you have guys who had similar dominant spells but couldn't get the major win - Donald :( I would say those guys are forgotten about quicker than players who were never world no.1s but managed a major win, eg Zach Johnson who won The Masters and nabbed The Open at St Andrew’s.

Jason.H

Visit site
Keopka will no doubt feel he’s let this chance go, he looked to laid back. I’d rather have seen him have a tantrum and show a bit of emotion.
Maybe he got fed up looking down at those shoes 😂🤣

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On the subject of Cantlay's lack of pace, which very obviously got Viktor's back up, they took 4 hrs 50 for 2 ball.
That's obviously slow
But we need to know the gap between them and the group in front of them...if they'd only lost a hole then, although slow, they weren't that far off the pace.
Anyone know how big the gap was..?

when Rahm and Koepka were on the 16th tee, the group that teed off the same time as them off the 10th tee were just putting out on the 9th on all accounts

Imurg

Visit site
when Rahm and Koepka were on the 16th tee, the group that teed off the same time as them off the 10th tee were just putting out on the 9th on all accounts
So the question is...
Cantlay and Hovlund were obviously out of position....we're they on the clock?
If not why not
And if they were why no penalties...?
I think GM should ask some questions.....

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So the question is...
If not why not

think youre mistaken, as usual the only slow player out there was the amateur as it usually is ;)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So the question is...
If not why not
I'm not sure that they were far out.
Iirc, they were waiting to play their second shots into 15.
There were plenty of very slow players ahead of them, particularly (but not exclusively) the amateur.
Baseball is bringing in a pitch clock this season. If it's successful, I wonder if there'll be more presure to speed up golf?