Masters 2023

Golfnut1957

Visit site
If rory makes phil and reeds run everyone says so what.

It's brakes off golf. Neither were really in it.

Good high finish but let's not get too carried away.

At the business end brooks was really disappointing. There was birdies out there with those traditional Sunday pins and he was awful.
I was disappointed that Brookes crumbled, it was definitely Rory-esque. I wasn't particularly bothered about him winning, but a better final round could have led to a more exciting finish.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I think your last 2 paragraphs sum up golf and how good Rory has been.
He may well never get the green Jacket, but he has been fantastically successful even if he doesn’t.

We assume the big names will all get loads of majors, but Rahm only has 2 to date, as has DJ, Norman etc
Indeed, only 19 men have won more than Rory.
I agree.
Rory has performed very well at The Masters. I don't really get all the moaning and disappointment directed at him.

He has had 7 top ten finishes in 15 starts. And he has another 19 goes until he is the age that Mickelson is this year..
His PGA Championship record is very good as well - 7 top ten finishes in 14 starts.
US Open - 10 top ten finishes in 14 starts. Brilliant.
Total - 24 top tens in 43 comps in the USA.

Faldo had only 3 top ten finishes in 23 starts at The Masters.
Faldo had 5 top ten finishes in 22 starts at the PGA Championship.
US Open - 5 top ten finishes in 18 starts.
Total - 13 top tens in 63 comps in the USA.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I agree.
Rory has performed very well at The Masters. I don't really get all the moaning and disappointment directed at him.

He has had 7 top ten finishes in 15 starts. And he has another 19 goes until he is the age that Mickelson is this year..
His PGA Championship record is very good as well - 7 top ten finishes in 14 starts.

Rory is a better golfer than Faldo was, and is competing in an era with a greater depth of talent.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I was disappointed that Rory didn't contend. I think it IS in his head now. I still think he'll eventually win a Masters. Really glad Rahm won and the Spanish connection is very interesting. I was a big fan of Seve and loved watching him play. He was a magician with his short game and could make par (or even birdie) from anywhere. I hope Rahm can keep it going. We may soon be talking about him getting the career slam.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I agree.

All of this is cool but no one cares about top 10 finishes in 10 years time. I reckon Rory would take winning a green jacket next year, but then never making a cut there again.

Right now, McIlroy has 4 majors which sounds good but for his talent, I think that is an underachievement. In fact, so does Rory. This is him in an interview from 2018 with Paul Kimmage and Padraig Harrington:

PH: I'm at a stage where I've done what I need to do. You're at a stage, Rory, where you're still trying to get more . . . actually, I'm going to say this, and it's probably not what you want to hear, but four Majors for you is a failure.

RM: I 100 per cent agree.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is the rule not 40 seconds once a player or group is put on the clock.
No it is in the Rules of Golf and applies to amateurs as well

Rule 5 covers how to play a round – such as where and when a player may practise
on the course before or during a round, when a round starts and ends and what
happens when play has to stop or resume. Players are expected to:
• Start each round on time, and
• Play continuously and at a prompt pace during each hole until the round
is completed.
When it is a player’s turn to play, it is recommended that they make the stroke in no
more than 40 seconds, and usually more quickly than that.

D-S

Visit site

Rule 5 covers how to play a round – such as where and when a player may practise
is completed.
When it is a player’s turn to play, it is recommended that they make the stroke in no
Perhaps when the 40 seconds have elapsed the crowd should shout in unison “Ding - out of time!”. Might focus the slowcoaches minds.
Better than “get in the hole“ or “mashed potatoes “.

NearHull

Visit site
Perhaps when the 40 seconds have elapsed the crowd should shout in unison “Ding - out of time!”. Might focus the slowcoaches minds.
Better than “get in the hole“ or “mashed potatoes “.
I would think it would be highly amusing if the crowd used the Countdown tune - perhaps only in the UK. But just imagining them doing it, does make me smile,

D

Deleted member 1147

Infinitely better than watching him without it!
Wasn’t sure about the collarless T-shirt under the jumper - bit scruffy for Augusta. But then, the man never had any style.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
Have you got a poor memory 😬😬

No, it was just a nod to Koepka who in the Netflix Full Swing series made a reference to the Masters; I suspect you didn't see it. When interviewed, he came across as quite down and almost depressed and said he couldn't remember who won the Masters that year, which I thought strange for a professional golfer.

I actually really like Koepka, he's a complicated character with a very dry sense of humour. I like the way he prepares and performs in the Majors, as he regards that as a yardstick for success and has done a pretty good job. I also like the way he cut his teeth on the Challenge Tour and I think that breadth of experience has served him well.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

is completed.
Its only a recommendation, so shows the authorities are not convinced pace of play is something they should be handling. And I would agree. Golf is not a speed contest, nor sport where a given time is allotted to the contest. A round is defined as 18 holes. Time taken is irrelevant.
Tours, as part of the entertainment industry, and so restrained by TV schedule requirements have some interest in predictability at least. But they dont really impose sanctions, nor force the issue and sanction players.
Everyone pretty much agrees, golf can take whatever time players want it to take.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Glad people have moved on from the fixation with the guy who won the individual prize at this Masters. Sky seemed obsessed with the individual leaderboard, but the key contest this weekend was between different pro tours, and the team prize. At least here, conversation is dominated by that. Kudos to the players who delivered for their teams, like Phil, and rightly, attention also on the misfires like McIlroy, who, one might say, let the side down. Is his withdrawal from the Heritage, a dropping from Team PGAT, as a little rap on the knuckles ? Will Team LIV have more players in the field at the USPGA ? Could the contest already be over with LIV 3-0 up before we even get to the Open ?