Make someone's day

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've just returned from my local Tesco where I was lucky enough to make someones day.
I saw a girl in her late 30s walking round struggling with an armful of groceries. She obviously didnt intend buying much as she didnt have a basket.
As I was nearing the end of the aisle where the baskets were kept, I fetched one, caught up with her and said, "here's a present for you" and gave her the basket. Her face was a picture. She just smiled and said thank you:D
Now I know it wasnt a big deal but I walked away feeling good and she probably thought what a nice old man :)

Have you ever done something similar, i.e. seen someone struggling and helped them without being asked?

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just returned from my local Tesco where I was lucky enough to make someones day.
I saw a girl in her late 30s walking round struggling with an armful of groceries. She obviously didnt intend buying much as she didnt have a basket.
As I was nearing the end of the aisle where the baskets were kept, I fetched one, caught up with her and said, "here's a present for you" and gave her the basket. Her face was a picture. She just smiled and said thank you:D
Now I know it wasnt a big deal but I walked away feeling good and she probably thought what a nice old man :)

Have you ever done something similar, i.e. seen someone struggling and helped them without being asked?

Come on Bob, you were on the pull! The best place is the local supermarket apparently.....

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once your back was turned she probably said nosey old git, and kicked the basket under the nearest counter.

either that or you foiled a (poor) shoplifting attempt...

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
She was competing for the 'holding the most amount of shopping unaided' cup. She was into the final - (a spot on the Loose Women panel was the prize) and that was her shot at glory and you ruined it!

I hope you can live with yourself.....

Either that or she worked there.....

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
You must be old if you think late 30's qualifies as a girl.I hear it is a well known pick up ploy in Tesco's,though usually by men !!

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Your story did remind me of an incident. I was out shopping with the family when I saw a woman getting in a right muddle and struggling with her shopping, the bags had split and there were tins and packets rolling about everywhere. So I walked over and offered to help, To my suprise I was met with the worst barrage of abuse and swearing I have ever heard in a public place. She was clearly having a bad day of epic proportions but a simple 'no thanks' would have done. I will admit I stooped to her level to a certain extent and told her to F off, but she deserved it, horrible woman.
But yes Bob, I usually get great satisfaction from helping others, just not in this instance.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I once pulled a mates kecks down in a night club when the smart arse brought four pints back at once.

I knew 100% he wouldn't drop the beer.

I think he wished he had put some trollies on as he was stood there for about 20 seconds with his manhood on show until he found a table.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Q. Have you ever helped anyone?

A. I once pulled a mates kecks down in a night club

If we ever meet vig, I don't need any help thanks :D

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sad isn't it when you are made to feel awful for doing someone a good turn. Well done Bob, keep it up pal the world needs more people like you.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well done Bob but we all know you were only after a peck on the cheek really

Nah. She was just a plain Jane.
I just think if you have the chance to brighten up someones day, then go for it. It costs nothing and makes you feel good.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not too sure if it made her day but it made mine.....

I have to wear a shirt, tie and a suit for my job - always dapper!

A while ago I was in Boots perusing the deodorants. A young lady taps me on the shoulder and says "Sorry, can you tell me where the tampons are please?"
My reply "I'm sorry, I don't work here."
I was tempted to try and get the ground the open up for her.....

Her question meant that a drink was out of the question..... :(

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few years ago i worked as a nightclub bouncer and one night i thought i was rescuing a damsal in distress.... i broke up a fight between a chap and his girlfriend. He was physically beating her in the face so i told him he had to go and while i was pulling him from the club. While i was on the march with him this so called damsal was beating me in the head with her shoe......Wheres the logic in that
So when i got him outside the door i turned and threw her out to him and the walked off hand in hand..... ...Baffled i was....

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
A while ago I was in my local Asda, in front of me in the queue was a woman. I watched her putting her ready meals for one and her bottles of wine onto the conveyor then I leaned forward and said "I can tell your single". "Aww", she replied "is that because you have seen my meals for one on the belt". "No" I said " It's cos your an ugly cow" :D
Have that.