Main dealer UK warranty

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was just an oil service,.so I'll contact the garage tomorrow, at least they had this year's pre service call on record and have me asking the same question as in 2020, even though they haven't got that recording at least they know I'm not telling porkies.

They have agreed to reinstate the warranty if we have the service there this year, which would be extremely stupid not to do.

Having looked at the paperwork over the weekend, the policy was bought over the phone and the terms.and conditions weren't explained to us but we should have read them. But I did ask the correct question when they phoned to book it in and they have me the wrong answer.

Thats a decent result, all things considered. Hopefully it all works out, and you're now armed with greater knowledge for the future too. win-win

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Breach of FCA regulations..... might be worth mentioning.
;)

Agree with Smiffy, if they get arsy then you can make a case that they breached both outcomes 3 and 5 of the FCA's TCF principles.

Outcome 3 is around ensuring information provided during PoS is clear and you are kept appropriately informed.

Outcome 5 centres on sold product performing as expected. In this case you expectation was that the product allowed you to act as you did.

An aside but also part of breaching 5, technically, would be selling you an insurance policy as a warranty. Two different products as warranty is NOT FCA regulated but insurance policies are.

Worth keeping in your back pocket.

For more info go to
https://www.fca.org.uk/firms/fair-t...6: Consumers do not,claim or make a complaint.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Agree with Smiffy, if they get arsy then you can make a case that they breached both outcomes 3 and 5 of the FCA's TCF principles.

Outcome 3 is around ensuring information provided during PoS is clear and you are kept appropriately informed.

Outcome 5 centres on sold product performing as expected. In this case you expectation was that the product allowed you to act as you did.

An aside but also part of breaching 5, technically, would be selling you an insurance policy as a warranty. Two different products as warranty is NOT FCA regulated but insurance policies are.

Worth keeping in your back pocket.

For more info go to
https://www.fca.org.uk/firms/fair-treatment-customers#:~:text=Outcome 6: Consumers do not,claim or make a complaint.

Trust me.
If they start back tracking and decide to "stand on" then the mere mention of a possible breach of FCA regulations will have them quaking in their boots.
Nobody wants a possible "investigation" by them, and if it turns out that you were given wrong information that swayed you into purchasing this warranty, they will find themselves in big trouble.
It is their responsibility to ensure that all sales staff are fully compliant with FCA regulations, and one of the core values of the FCA is treating customers fairly.
As I said earlier, don't go in with all guns blazing but have this information as a "last resort" if you like.
We have to be so careful what we say and do nowadays, and the big fear if you get something wrong is not your manager. It's the FCA and the financial repercussions that a breach of compliance can bring.
It can put some firms out of business.
;););)

Last edited:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trust me.
If they start back tracking and decide to "stand on" then the mere mention of a possible breach of FCA regulations will have them quaking in their boots.
Nobody wants a possible "investigation" by them, and if it turns out that you were given wrong information that swayed you into purchasing this warranty, they will find themselves in big trouble.
It is their responsibility to ensure that all sales staff are fully compliant with FCA regulations, and one of the core values of the FCA is treating customers fairly.
As I said earlier, don't go in with all guns blazing but have this information as a "last resort" if you like.
We have to be so careful what we say and do nowadays, and the big fear if you get something wrong is not your manager. It's the FCA and the financial repercussions that a breach of compliance can bring.
It can put some firms out of business.
;););)

I think we are agreeing here. I work in financial services so know the FCA pillars very well.
The TCF outcomes I posted above are the ones that they would/should be concerned about.

For me the most concerning part is selling insurance as a warranty. Thats a big no-no.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They haven't taken the parts off from the oil service yet,.it'll get done when the service the vehicle to get the warranty back up for its final year.
I'd be disappointed if they use any of this to wriggle out of this as without the advice of the service desk it would have got the Honda service.
I'll post of the reply from the GM regarding the policy when I get to the computer later this morning.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1) Why were we not advised of the terms and conditions of the policy prior to or at the time of purchase ?
The terms and conditions of the policy are issued to the customer upon purchase, offering details of dealer and customer obligation. I have attached a signed copy of your policy for your reference. These documents highlight the need to have all services completed on time and within the Honda network. The policy also offers a 14 day cancellation period, with a full refund, if you are not happy with any of the conditions outlined.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Latest offer :

Having consulted with our legal team for further advice, the presiding factor is that the terms and conditions of the extended guarantee, have been acknowledged with a signature.

Within the document it clearly states that, “In order to maintain the validity of your Honda Extended Guarantee it is essential that your Vehicle is serviced by an authorised Honda Dealer in accordance with the service schedule detailed in the Vehicle’s Service Book”. The Honda Extended Guarantee is a product provided by Honda (UK) and any uncertainty about the terms and conditions should have been checked with them directly.

However, as a dealership we recognise that there was an error in the information relayed to you, that the vehicle could be serviced at an independent garage, subject to them using genuine Honda parts. Notwithstanding this error, the responsibility to comply with the terms of the extended guarantee lies with the individual.

Further to this, the information provided by Jacksons highlights that the parts issued at the 2020 Service were not genuine Honda parts meaning that the advice provided by the dealership had not been followed.

Taking into account the aforementioned points and in an effort to resolve this amicably and as quickly as possible for you, as a goodwill gesture and without any admission of liability, I am offering to cover the labour element of the repair of £233.28, with the remaining parts cost of £783.22 to be covered by yourselves.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might it be a good idea to have this thread "hidden" so as to not create any issues from any parties involved or mentioned in any way?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Post 88 is nothing to do with what parts were used.
I'm just asking if non-Honda parts were used.

...and perhaps more pertinently was there any claim that they did use Honda parts? If they did and haven't used these you may be able to push them to take liability for the costs that you have incurred, but now we're getting on to long shots.

As for the offer you have received, I still think the dealer is in a sound position, whether you consider their offer fair or not is up to you, but I think goodwill is all you can expect. Maybe you can ask them to meet 50% of the total cost or similar and see how they respond.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
See post #88
Some years back I had a problem with an Audi I had bought new, it had a two year warranty that ran out a week before the Aircon packed in and I was told by the dealer it would cost me £1,000 to repair. The dealer offered me a small discount on the labour. I contacted Audi UK direct and explained that I didn't expect a quality build car to have the Aircon pack in after two years and if they didn't want me rubbishing their build quality to anyone and everyone they needed to do something better. As a gesture of good will they paid the dealer to replace it.