Main dealer UK warranty

stan

Visit site
Wife bought a Honda from main dealer Feb 19came with a 12 month warranty but she took out an additional 2 year warranty.

Last years service (first year on new warranty) was carried out at independent garage after we were advised that we could do this by the dealer as long as they used honda parts and premium oil.

Thursday night all the warning lights came on and on advise from the dealer the car way relayed to dealer for diagnostics.
They have diagnosed ignition coil problems on 2 cylinders and they would contact Honda UK to get authorisation for repair.

Dealer phones back this morning saying claim has been rejected by Honda UK as we hadn't had the vehicle serviced at Honda (apparently they have updated their policy re servicing this Jan this year).

I've asked the Dealer to confirm all of this in an email copying the service manager and general manager at the dealer.

Any advice on where I should go from here ?
Smiffy ?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is my thread btw, not sure.What went wrong there ???

Trying to find the policy but we had a claim late last year that was honoured.
The advice was given by someone on the service desk, think she's since left as there's a new woman there now, so unfortunately we have no record.

Not sure how they can say the warranty is now longer valid retrospectively after they have already allowed a claim on it ??

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As far as I am aware, a manufacturer CANNOT dictate where or who does your servicing. The ONLY things that they can stipulate are that the correct parts are used, (backed up with a receipt showing this), that the correct intervals regarding mileage and time are adhered to, and that whoever services it are a VAT registered garage. As long as you can supply evidence that these have been adhered to you should have the law on your side.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Smiffy, I waiting for written confirmation back from the dealer.
From my call with the dealer , they say their hand are tied as the claim is with Honda UK.
Looking at around £1300 quid to have the repair done and if we want it back to have it done at an independent garage there's a charge for their time and diagnostics.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Smiffy, I waiting for written confirmation back from the dealer.
From my call with the dealer , they say their hand are tied as the claim is with Honda UK.
Looking at around £1300 quid to have the repair done and if we want it back to have it done at an independent garage there's a charge for their time and diagnostics.

You need to check out the Block Exemptions rulings on OEM servicing.

As Smiffy, Manufacturer cannot dictate your servicing as long as parts used are of a standard similar to or in excess of the original parts (doesn't actually even need to be Honda parts).

Seeing more and more of this creeping back in from Manufacturers.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If we want it back to have it done at an independent garage there's a charge for their time and diagnostics.

Which is par for the course.
We include a 12 month Peugeot warranty with every used car we sell. Whilst this is branded "Peugeot", the actual warranty is through a third party. I would guarantee that this is the case with the Honda one too. Read your warranty book through cover to cover. It should state in there who is actually administrating it.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm phoning round getting quotes from independent s, and we'll weigh up costs Vs what we are owing at Honda. Might well end up around the same ?
She needs to car to commute so might well have to bite the bullet and try and claim back after.
Warranty seems void , still a year left, so we'd want refund on that if they are not going to honour it and I bought a service plan for my car which I'll cancel.

Bought our last 3 cars there, may well be the last ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
And if Honda HAD updated the terms and conditions of their warranty in such a way that it could impact a successful claim, should they not have written to all policy holders to notify them of said change?
But I stand by what I originally said....
They cannot demand that you go to a Honda main dealer for your servicing. End of.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And if Honda HAD updated the terms and conditions of their warranty in such a way that it could impact a successful claim, should they not have written to all policy holders to notify them of said change?
But I stand by what I originally said....
They cannot demand that you go to a Honda main dealer for your servicing. End of.

They may have updated the terms of any new warranties they issue, I find it hard to believe they'd update terms on an existing warranty as that could cause all kinds of nightmares with terminating the contract.

Whilst I agree with your second point, it might be easier to go down the route of them changing the terms, ask them to prove that they sent you updated T&C's also given that it's still January there would not yet have been time to accept the new terms or cancel the contract, as they have to give notice, they can't just instantly make the change. If they cannot prove it, you can then ask them to act under the old terms, and if they can prove it, you can exercise your right to exit the contract, which hopefully gets you some cash back towards the repair.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So why did you have the service carried out at an independent, or am I getting confused??

My service plan is at Honda at purchsed at the same time as the car, the independant service was on the wifes car as we were advised we could do this after she had purchased the extended warranty. If she had bought a service plan all this would have been avoided :ROFLMAO:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Following our conversation over the phone this morning, I have listed the breakdown of costs for your vehicle below as requested:

Investigation charge to diagnose the issues - £90
Having spoken to my manager, she has said that as a gesture of good will, we will not charge the further hours labour for putting the vehicle back together again for you, which would have been a further £130.00.

In terms of repairs, we first suggest that a "donor" set of injectors are tested in the car, to confirm the injectors are at fault, which would be at a cost of £129.60.

Should this be the case and the injectors are confirmed to be causing the misfire, these would cost £1016.50 to replace as a first action, we would then thoroughly recheck and retest the vehicle before you collected it.

Unfortunately, when we processed this claim through your guarantee, it has been rejected on the basis that your 2020 service was not at a Honda Dealer, as stipulated in the guarantee terms and conditions (3.1.1). We have also tried to go through customer relations, including the regional manager for customer relations, both of whom have said that unfortunately there is nothing they can contribute in terms of Honda good will on this occasion.