Main dealer UK warranty

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
From the horses mouth.
Standard new car warranty, services can be carried out at any VAT registered garage.
Honda's extended warranty HAS to be carried out at a Honda dealer.
It's in the t&C's as has been highlighted.
The argument is that the standard warranty, being "given" to you can't see them dictate where you have it serviced.
Because you have the option to buy the extended warranty, they can.
Sorry
???

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the horses mouth.
Standard new car warranty, services can be carried out at any VAT registered garage.
Honda's extended warranty HAS to be carried out at a Honda dealer.
It's in the t&C's as has been highlighted.
The argument is that the standard warranty, being "given" to you can't see them dictate where you have it serviced.
Because you have the option to buy the extended warranty, they can.
Sorry
???

Thanks, I thought as much, just have to see how much 'goodwill' they'll offer us to keep future business.
Yes we should have understood the t&c's but when I asked the question , we weren't given the correct answer.
Expensive error :(

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks, I thought as much, just have to see how much 'goodwill' they'll offer us to keep future business.
Yes we should have understood the t&c's but when I asked the question , we weren't given the correct answer.
Expensive error :(
Unfortunately Geezer, it just becomes a case of "he said, she said" which never ends well.
Sorry fella

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Part of the reply from the GM today :

On listening to the call from 2021 the Service Advisor has given you the incorrect advice, stating that it would be OK to have the vehicle serviced outside the network as long as the parts and oil supplied were genuine. Although I have the invoice, for the service completed in February 2020 it offers limited information and I wondered if you would be able to obtain additional information please, such as specific part numbers, and oil grade supplied?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

On listening to the call from 2021 the Service Advisor has given you the incorrect advice, stating that it would be OK to have the vehicle serviced outside the network as long as the parts and oil supplied were genuine. Although I have the invoice, for the service completed in February 2020 it offers limited information and I wondered if you would be able to obtain additional information please, such as specific part numbers, and oil grade supplied?
Mmmmm. Sounds promising

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Hopefully you have these part numbers.
If you don't can I suggest you get them directly from Honda sources.

What was done at the last service? Oil and filter? Anything not connected with the engine (brake pads, brake fluid etc) is irrelevant to this.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it had been serviced at Honda, would the mechanical failure have been prevented?

Although the requirement to service the car at a honda dealer has not been met, the service was carried out on time with Honda parts.

Is it right in law that failing to meet that condition completely invalidates the agreement even if it had no impact on the failure in question?

Anyway, given they have a record of the telephone conversation, that’s as good as having it in writing I would think. I’d be very surprised if they didn’t have a change of mind on this and offer to pay a large part if not all of it.

Fingers crossed

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was just an oil service,.so I'll contact the garage tomorrow, at least they had this year's pre service call on record and have me asking the same question as in 2020, even though they haven't got that recording at least they know I'm not telling porkies.

They have agreed to reinstate the warranty if we have the service there this year, which would be extremely stupid not to do.

Having looked at the paperwork over the weekend, the policy was bought over the phone and the terms.and conditions weren't explained to us but we should have read them. But I did ask the correct question when they phoned to book it in and they have me the wrong answer.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it had been serviced at Honda, would the mechanical failure have been prevented?

Although the requirement to service the car at a honda dealer has not been met, the service was carried out on time with Honda parts.

Is it right in law that failing to meet that condition completely invalidates the agreement even if it had no impact on the failure in question?

Anyway, given they have a record of the telephone conversation, that’s as good as having it in writing I would think. I’d be very surprised if they didn’t have a change of mind on this and offer to pay a large part if not all of it.

Fingers crossed

I'm not sure how an non main dealer oil change would have prevented an ignition coil break down ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Having looked at the paperwork over the weekend, the policy was bought over the phone and the terms and conditions weren't explained to us but we should have read them. But I did ask the correct question when they phoned to book it in and they have me the wrong answer.

Breach of FCA regulations..... might be worth mentioning.
;)