London and golf

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Recently moved down to London as a graduate, and now the sun is (almost) out a lack of golf is killing me.

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent clubs, reachable easily enough from South London (Lambeth)? Priorities in order of importance:

- Atmosphere. I don't want a club that feels like an old boys' club, I get enough of that in my job so I'd prefer somewhere more relaxed.
- Youngish membership.
- Quality of the course
- Practice space
- Accessible by public transport (not a necessity but I don't always have access to a car)
- Price

I'm a 13 handicapper, who likes to play at least a round at the weekend and 9 or so holes a couple of times after work if that makes any difference to people's recommendations.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations to ranges accessible by public transport from the City that don't charge an arm and a leg for range balls?

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 1418

Nearest to Lambeth are Mitcham, London Scottish/Wimbledon Common (2 club's share same course), Wimbledon Park and Royal Wimbledon.

I grew up playing Mitcham - public course but usually great condition in summer - before moving to London Scottish. Wimbledon Park may meet more of your criteria but be aware that it's unplayable for 2 weeks in July when it gives over some of its land (2 or more holes) to the oiks over the road for some minor tennis shenanigans!!

Unfortunately practice facilities at all these clubs pretty limited given they're locations.

Royal Wimbledon is the pick of the bunch - quality club and course but is very traditional.

A bit further afield you have the likes of Cuddington and Bansted (the othet sidr of Sutton/Cheam) which are excellent.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nearest is probably Dulwich and Sydenham but I don't think that it's easy to get to by public transport. A bit left field, but how about Shortlands Golf Club? Direct train ride from Brixton Station to Shortlands Station and 3 minute walk to the club. It's a 10 (?) hole course, flatish, and I believe a good clubhouse atmosphere. As a bonus it is relatively cheap (for the area).

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which is the nearest depends on what bit of Lambeth you're in?

But no one has yet mentioned Dulwich & Sydenham Hillwhich is the closest course to central London . http://www.dulwichgolf.co.uk/index.lasso (edit: just seen that Lefty got in while l was typing)

Easy to get to by car, but also about 10-12 mins walk from P4 & P13 bus stops. And about 12-15 mins walk from a variety of buses that stop at the Horniman museum in Forest Hill. About the same from Sydenham Hill station (the latter two are a walk through the woods but its a nice way to get there).

Membership very amenable - although can't say we're especially "young" (but what golf club is?). Course is good but have to admit there are better layouts further out in the suburbs.. Price ain't cheap - but its the going rate for the area.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Recently moved down to London as a graduate, and now the sun is (almost) out a lack of golf is killing me.

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent clubs, reachable easily enough from South London (Lambeth)? Priorities in order of importance:

- Atmosphere. I don't want a club that feels like an old boys' club, I get enough of that in my job so I'd prefer somewhere more relaxed.
- Youngish membership.
- Quality of the course
- Practice space
- Accessible by public transport (not a necessity but I don't always have access to a car)
- Price

I'm a 13 handicapper, who likes to play at least a round at the weekend and 9 or so holes a couple of times after work if that makes any difference to people's recommendations.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations to ranges accessible by public transport from the City that don't charge an arm and a leg for range balls?

Thanks in advance

Used to play round that way up to about 15 years ago. Within reasonable striking range of Sarf Lambeff the following spring to mind:

Shortlands; 9 hole course right next to Shortlands station. Short, very tight but the membership were one of the friendlier and more relaxed in the area. https://www.shortlandsgolfclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=101

Aquarius; another 9 hole course, based around a reservoir on the Forest Hill/Peckham Rye border. Never played it. http://www.aquariusgolfclub.co.uk/pages.php/index.html

Chislehurst; tight, hilly and relatively short with a clubhouse in a old mansion, relatively close to Chislehurst station.

Sundridge Park; 2 good 18 hole courses lying between Elmstead Woods and Bromley North, very social club. Few years since I played it, need to go back, reasonably close to Sundridge Park station, but not the best service. https://www.sundridgeparkgolfclub.co.uk

Mitcham; on Mitcham Common next to Mitcham Junction station, relatively short and flat, next to roads. Reputation for good greens. http://www.mitchamgolfclub.co.uk/index.php

Langley Park; not the best for public transport, a long stretch from Bromley South, flat but a good test of golf. http://www.langleyparkgolf.co.uk

As to your requirements, this is south London. South London prices mean that you are probably not gong to get a youngish membership at any of these, you need spare disposable income down here and that tends to bring an older membership. Course quality and practice facilities see Sundridge Park and Langley Park in the top 2 spots with Chislehurst 3rd. I think that Langley Park is possibly a slightly tougher test than either of Sundridge Park's two courses, but having 36 is a great advantage in itself, and they are both very good and distinctly different in character. They'll also be the most expensive of these clubs and have the strictest (more traditional) joining procedures. Good luck.

Can't help at all on the ranges, sorry.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also there's Shooters Hill, Royal Blackheath and Eltham Warren all within a reasonable distance of roughly where you are.
I think knowing roughly where in Lambeth you are might also help a little, it isn't the easiest place to get out of some bits.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
For a driving range, - if public transport from central London is key - your best bet is the American Golf range next to the O2. Just a few mins walk from the North Greenwich tube station on the Jubilee line

Buckbeak

Visit site
I'm a member at Mitcham Golf Club and I enjoy it there. I live in SW London (around Clapham way) and the transport links are the main reason I joined in the first place. The course is literally about 100m from the station entrance - Mitcham Junction.

The course isn't the best I've ever played, but the greens and tees are really well kept. I haven't been a member long, but everyone at the club seems friendly enough. We always go into the bar after a round and are greeted well (plus the price of a pint is far cheaper in the clubhouse than London!)

Membership average age is around the 40s/50s I'd say, although I'm not a good judge of age. However there's a few members, like me, in their mid 20s who normally get out every weekend. Membership is also a lot cheaper than many of the other courses in London, especially depending on your age.

Also, I haven't been there so I'm not sure on price, but I've heard the range at Greenwich is pretty good.

Hope that helps

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Chislehurst; tight, hilly and relatively short with a clubhouse in a old mansion, relatively close to Chislehurst station..

I'm a member at Chislehurst and I would save if the travel works you should be pretty happy with the price (assuming mid 20's). Plus side is the have alot of lockers, and there is a bus from the station to pretty close, the walk isn't the shortest. Happy to answer any questions if it makes your list

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Hello everyone,

- Youngish membership.
- Quality of the course
- Practice space
- Price

Thanks in advance

Hersham is on the train line. 2 minute walk from the station.
Range is fine.
Don't join. Course isn't good enough. But it's playable.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
We've got a lot of intermediate members that come down from the Clapham Junction area - we are about a 10 minute walk from West Byfleet station which is 20 minutes on the train, and there are facilities to store clubs etc. Very easy for a weekend round but would depend on your hours as to whether the week was possible.

www.wbgc.co.uk - I think its about £500 for a 25 year old which is very good value!

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
Massive thanks to everyone who has replied, certainly has given me plenty to consider.

At the minute it looks like a toss up between Dulwich, Mitcham and Chislehurst. Will most likely to try and visit each at some point in the next couple of weeks, but if anyone has any thoughts about which club is the best shout between those three I'd love to hear them!

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For a driving range, - if public transport from central London is key - your best bet is the American Golf range next to the O2. Just a few mins walk from the North Greenwich tube station on the Jubilee line

The driving range at crystal palace is also decent and shoukdnt be too hard to get to from lambeth area.