Golf Clubs South London

Dshayler

Visit site
Hi all,

I have fairly recently moved to Kennington, London, and trying to decide which golf club would be best to join.

I am happy to be fairly flexible on price without it being ridiculous; I also drive and closest course is around 35/40 mins on a good run so happy to look up to around 50 mins ish.

I have played Shirley Park which I thought was disappointing, Croham Hurst which was nice, Richmond Park is cheap but not good quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions/experience/current membership?

Thanks in advance!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dulwich, Langley Park or Sundridge would be worth looking at.
All are (normally) within that time frame (I can normally do Chelsea to Bromley in just about an hour, at the heavier times of the day.)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Addington palace. Very easy to commute to on a train, secure lockers so clubs can stay at the club.

From all the Croydon based courses it’s the better one, drains very well too.

I’ve been at Croham (potentially going back) nice course but bunkers and tees need work, invested a lot over last two years on green irrigation upgrades.

Shirley park, 10/14/15 really struggle in the winter, 5/6/11 burn out quick in the summer.

Purley downs by all accounts is the best condition , but rarely a flat lie.

Farleigh, never closes , drains well but super busy. Great clubhouse and great social side with a great swindle. Currently a member having done almost 14 years but not renewing.

Palace, great members course, in my opinion the best lay out in the area.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Addington Palace's greens are diseased and they are unsure if they'll recover, apparently.
Addington palace. Very easy to commute to on a train, secure lockers so clubs can stay at the club.

From all the Croydon based courses it’s the better one, drains very well too.

I’ve been at Croham (potentially going back) nice course but bunkers and tees need work, invested a lot over last two years on green irrigation upgrades.

Shirley park, 10/14/15 really struggle in the winter, 5/6/11 burn out quick in the summer.

Purley downs by all accounts is the best condition , but rarely a flat lie.

Farleigh, never closes , drains well but super busy. Great clubhouse and great social side with a great swindle. Currently a member having done almost 14 years but not renewing.

Palace, great members course, in my opinion the best lay out in the area.

Bratty

Visit site
I’ve heard about their greens, but in reality they’ve had the best greens for years so doubt they will never recover.
I'm just quoting a member of the club, mate. It's worth keeping an eye on for sure, but I wouldn't be joining it now.

Dshayler

Visit site
Thanks all for your responses so far, really appreciate it!

The quality of the course is more important to me than the social side being totally honest - I can often play midweek over weekends being the reason.

The waiting lists as D&S and Sundridge were far too long for me, and Shooters Hill asking me to go for an interview (also being told it can be a snooty club) put me off I have to say.

I have been looking at Addington Palace and Purley Downs, slight concerned about the greens now though at Addington @Bratty - does your member friend have any more info?

Bratty

Visit site

The quality of the course is more important to me than the social side being totally honest - I can often play midweek over weekends being the reason.

The waiting lists as D&S and Sundridge were far too long for me, and Shooters Hill asking me to go for an interview (also being told it can be a snooty club) put me off I have to say.

I have been looking at Addington Palace and Purley Downs, slight concerned about the greens now though at Addington @Bratty - does your member friend have any more info?
Not a friend, I'm afraid. A member there came down as a guest of someone at the club. This is what I got today:
Apparently, there's hope they will recover for next summer.
Potentially the new green keeper at fault, but no actual definitive statement to that effect from the club/commitee.
15th is currently a drivable par4, 6 temporary greens now and 3/4s are worse than this (yes, that's a green):
IMG-20231109-WA0005.jpg

Last edited:

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I was a member at Shooters Hill, the interview is just part of the process.

The spike bar there is legenedary.

Go along, have a round and make your mind up then.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It may well have changed, when I was there you were only allowed in the lounge bar with.a jacket and tie, hence the spike bar was always rammed

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Be warned, Addington Palace is very up and down. Croham Hurst and Langley Park are both good courses to my mind, but then again, I quite like Shirley Park.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
FYI, Langley and Purley both currently have a grand joining fee! Not the highest compared with woodcote at £1500, but with membership being £2k at both that first year is expensive.

Shirley remains the cheapest with no JF and only £1600 a year, Croham is £1800 and I think the palace is £1950 with £250 JF.

Farkeigh is about £1650 no JF

Last edited:

Dshayler

Visit site
Be warned, Addington Palace is very up and down. Croham Hurst and Langley Park are both good courses to my mind, but then again, I quite like Shirley Park.
I liked the layout of the course overall but found the fairways to be in really poor condition - not just due to the weather either!