Local Elections 2019

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's the feeling? Conservative collapse? Labour gains? Voter apathy? I think it will go the same as usual but with less votes cast.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure I see people wanting to vote for either of the big 2 but at local level there are not the alternatives on the whole. The party supposed to give the Cons a kicking are Labour but as Labour are equally disliked then where do people go? Maybe people will stay on local issues, which they should really.

A better barometer will be the EU elections later this month when people will have options, The Brexit Party and Change UK. That will the time for a real kicking.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Local issues driven here, people arent happy that despite 80%+ voting to not become part of a bigger Bournemouth council thats what happened recently. Several of the ex councillors who were against it are now standing as independents and I expect will get the votes from those annoyed at this and the state of politics generally

D

Deleted member 18121

My hopes are that Tories, Labour and Lib dems get virtually no votes.

However, people dont like change, people are scared and I predict much of the same dross as always.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Euro elections are going to be hilarious. Some magnificent anti-establishment voting to reflect how the majority winners in the Brexit referendum have seen their democratic wishes ignored. I think Nigel Farage is a nob of the highest order but I'll happily vote for his party here to make a statement.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the first time in my life I put my crosses against the Green Party candidates. Nothing to do with Brexit or wanting to give the big parties a kicking, simply that the two who were voted in last time, when I didn't vote for them, have been brilliant for our town and are doing a great job.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Have only got a choice of the usual three suspects. I really should make an effort and go spoil my card, but none of em are worth it!

Edit, I had 5 mins to spare so went and spoiled it, feel better for it :)

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Don't think Labour of Tories will get a bloody nose, think it could well be a broken nose. We have some Indepndants which are not quite independant, plus Mayoral elections. All of a sudden most of the Mayoral candidates are Tashyboys best friend on FB.
The Tory Mayoral candidate is a Syrian refugee who tried to be a Tory MP in Belfast, Scotland etc. He has lost 7 elections. He don't want to be a councillor and find out a community's problems. He thinks he is good enough to be Mayor. Good luck with that one.

U

User62651

For the first time in my life I put my crosses against the Green Party candidates. Nothing to do with Brexit or wanting to give the big parties a kicking, simply that the two who were voted in last time, when I didn't vote for them, have been brilliant for our town and are doing a great job.

Good to read that, that is the right way to vote. Hope more do the same going forward. Reward performance.

D

Deleted member 15344

Unfortunately for me people will try and connect the local council elections to Brexit - it should be totally separate and people should look at the people and what they have done for you or what they can do for you at a local level - nothing to do with national politics etc , shame to see people spoil or not vote based on Brexit or the main parties.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I vote in local elections I always vote based upon local issues and for that reason I often vote for a candidate that represents a party I would not vote for in Government elections.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Unfortunately for me people will try and connect the local council elections to Brexit - it should be totally separate and people should look at the people and what they have done for you or what they can do for you at a local level - nothing to do with national politics etc , shame to see people spoil or not vote based on Brexit or the main parties.

Its a really tough one Phil. Do the various Labour/Tory/LibDem councils follow spending plans and party policy laid down by their national party? Do the various councils take their lead from the national parties?

People are equating the local parties with the national parties, and maybe rightly so. A bloody nose might just lead to improved local services. Hell's teeth, the national parties have some bridges to build with the electorate.

That said, I think many voters may well baulk at not voting for their usual choices.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
When I vote in local elections I always vote based upon local issues and for that reason I often vote for a candidate that represents a party I would not vote for in Government elections.

Pretty much what I've done, all my votes went to Residents' Association candidates.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sadly our local councillor has finally managed to get a Co-Op on the estate after 8 years. Still no sign of the doctors promised 15 years ago when the estate was first built but everyone will jump on the shop finally arriving (as opposed to a 20-30 minute walk depending on where on the estate you are or getting in the car and driving to town to get milk/bread etc) and simply vote her and her party back in. A real no contest locally in our ward

Wolf

Visit site
I decided against voting this time around.
Same here didn't vote.

This is our first local elections in our new county, had to Google who our MP is and which band of numpties they serve. I'm torn politically at the moment anyway as there isn't a great deal to have faith in anywhere