Local Elections 2019

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As I said both Labour and the Tories haven't had a bloody nose, it's been broken.

Tashyboy

Visit site
What's the feeling? Conservative collapse? Labour gains? Voter apathy? I think it will go the same as usual but with less votes cast.

Oddly enough the voters did turn up, which went against poll results. Once more I think people have taken to much notice of them. People really are fed up with politics. Seems the future of politics lies in " independents " at the moment that is.

D

Deleted member 15344

So what does it say that pro remain Lib Dem are making big strides ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As I said both Labour and the Tories haven't had a bloody nose, it's been broken.

Well predicted. I thought the Tories would get a kicking but I thought Labour would actually pick up a few seats. Maybe the Jezza popularity bubble has burst.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Well predicted. I thought the Tories would get a kicking but I thought Labour would actually pick up a few seats. Maybe the Jezza popularity bubble has burst.
Dont think today is finished by a long un Hobbit. Looking forward to hearing the excuses. 😁

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So what does it say that pro remain Lib Dem are making big strides ?
Not really. Cons & Labour are currently held in contempt, not many other options on the ballot paper at local level. Lib Dems are usually very strong at local level but the last time this round of elections was held the Lib Dems were getting a kicking for being in coalition. Yesterday restored them at local level in areas they were previously strong in.

The test for your theory will come in the EU elections. If they do well there then that is a different matter.

D

Deleted member 18121

Glad to see Tories and Labour getting a good hiding....I think the increase in Lib Dem votes is more to do with availability of options for people to vote. I've seen a lot on social media of people saying "my options are tory, Labour or Lib Dem - what shall I do?"

I'll never condone spoiling the ballot paper, but in this instance it seems Lib Dem is the "protest vote".

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

All things considered, losing 80 seats isn’t anywhere near a broken nose for Labour. Considering the wider political situation they’ve weathered this storm very well. The Tories however...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my area seems the greens gained 42 councillors and now have 48 and UKIP lost 54 and now have 17. So less far right crap and more care for the environment can only be a good thing.
We need to see if this is replicated. In many cases the options apart from Lab / Con are limited so are people simply voting for anyone but the main 2? If you ever look at Greens policies they are largely bonkers but the move towards a less polluting society still has to be a good one.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
We need to see if this is replicated. In many cases the options apart from Lab / Con are limited so are people simply voting for anyone but the main 2? If you ever look at Greens policies they are largely bonkers but the move towards a less polluting society still has to be a good one.

Green policies taken from their web site

• Cancel Trident replacement, saving at least £110 billion over the next 30 years.
  • A humane immigration and asylum system that recognises and takes responsibility for Britain’s ongoing role in causing the flow of migrants worldwide.
  • Implement a UK-wide strategy to tackle gender based violence, including domestic violence, rape and sexual abuse, FGM and trafficking.
  • An ethical foreign policy that builds capacity for conflict resolution, and end support to aggressive wars of intervention. No more arms sales to oppressive regimes.
  • Trade rules that respect human rights, labour standards, environmental standards and climate commitments with mechanisms for individuals, groups and communities to bring grievances.
  • Strengthen the global deal on climate change, including by delivering climate justice and promoting ecologically sustainable development so that poorer countries can cope with the impacts of climate change
  • Increase the overseas aid budget from 0.7% of GDP to 1.0% of GDP.

People may well not agree with some of them but I'd hardly call them bonkers. In fact in a perfect world where we lived by these policies or say some of the more ERG right wing Tory/UKIP policies I know which one I'd be more happy in.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Green policies taken from their web site

• Cancel Trident replacement, saving at least £110 billion over the next 30 years. Totally agree
  • A humane immigration and asylum system that recognises and takes responsibility for Britain’s ongoing role in causing the flow of migrants worldwide. Where's my sack cloth and ashes? I agree with a sensible immigration and asylum policy, and think the UK's policy is currently off kilter but the second half of the sentence is just bollox.
  • Implement a UK-wide strategy to tackle gender based violence, including domestic violence, rape and sexual abuse, FGM and trafficking. Totally agree
  • An ethical foreign policy that builds capacity for conflict resolution, and end support to aggressive wars of intervention. No more arms sales to oppressive regimes. first part; eh? Does the ethical foreign policy include police actions? Sounds too Chamberlin-esque to me. second part; totally agree but what about police actions where a big country is bullying a neighbour? third part; if that means the likes of Saudi, totally agree

• Trade rules that respect human rights, labour standards, environmental standards and climate commitments with mechanisms for individuals, groups and communities to bring grievances. Totally agree
  • Strengthen the global deal on climate change, including by delivering climate justice and promoting ecologically sustainable development so that poorer countries can cope with the impacts of climate change Too wishy-washy. Define it, in conjunction with a conglomerate of other countries and I might be interested. "Climate Justice..." Its lofty language like that that switches people off.
  • Increase the overseas aid budget from 0.7% of GDP to 1.0% of GDP. No. Arbitrary figures are unintelligent.

People may well not agree with some of them but I'd hardly call them bonkers. In fact in a perfect world where we lived by these policies or say some of the more ERG right wing Tory/UKIP policies I know which one I'd be more happy in.

Thoughts in bold.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We didn't have council elections here in Aylesbury - I think that they are being delayed until next year due to a number of Buckinghamshire councils combining into a unitary council.

Like others have said, I vote on local issues, visibility and actions of local councillors, and by far the best around here in my own local experience have been the Lib Dems and I always vote for them.
However, I don't think that they would get my vote in a general election as I disagree with a number of the party's policies.