LIV Golf

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I don't know anything about Kim, I wasn't watching golf when he was playing. Was he any good? Who's to say he'll be any good now if he hasn't played at the top level for so long? Is this really a big story?
Definitely worth reading up on him and watching a few videos, he was an incredible golfer - could have won it all but he just quit and disappeared.

AussieKB

Visit site
Definitely worth reading up on him and watching a few videos, he was an incredible golfer - could have won it all but he just quit and disappeared.
All to do with the Insurance money......apparently has been playing with his mates for years, but if he goes back to playing Pro events then the Insurance payments stop.

D

Deleted member 15344

With Pro's moving to LIV it opened spots yes ???????? on Euro and PGA Tours, and then those spots were then left open to lesser Pro's to get onto the minor Tours as well, it is not rocket science.
Most of the guys had spots anyway - there will few events where someone else will be playing instead but it’s a big number

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

As a example more people watched Dunlap winning the Amex than watched Rahm winning the year before

In the spirit of healthy respectful debate 🙂
Based on previous similar posts, is it safe to assume this relates to US broadcast estimates?
If so, and considering the US are generally a patriotic bunch (not a criticism) - I would have been surprised if more weren't watching a potential big story involving who several media outlets were positioning as 'the next US TW', verses that bloke who is an opponent at the Ryder Cup.

Swango1980

Visit site
With Pro's moving to LIV it opened spots yes ???????? on Euro and PGA Tours, and then those spots were then left open to lesser Pro's to get onto the minor Tours as well, it is not rocket science.
Perhaps LIV has "grown the game" for 48 lower quality golf professionals in the world, and given them spots on any of the tours they wouldn't have got.

But I'm not sure having 48 lower quality professionals playing across the tours will capture the imagination of the fans? In reality, when watching most golf tournaments, we'll simply see a slightly lower quality golf on display. There will be top quality golfers we don't see on the PGA events that could have been there, there will be top quality golfers missing from LIV that cannot be there and even the DP World Tour will miss top quality players that could have been playing in their events at any given time.

The above is an inevitable consequence when you spread the world best golfers over multiple tours. It simply dilutes the fields.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Perhaps LIV has "grown the game" for 48 lower quality golf professionals in the world, and given them spots on any of the tours they wouldn't have got.

But I'm not sure having 48 lower quality professionals playing across the tours will capture the imagination of the fans? In reality, when watching most golf tournaments, we'll simply see a slightly lower quality golf on display. There will be top quality golfers we don't see on the PGA events that could have been there, there will be top quality golfers missing from LIV that cannot be there and even the DP World Tour will miss top quality players that could have been playing in their events at any given time.

The above is an inevitable consequence when you spread the world best golfers over multiple tours. It simply dilutes the fields.

In fairness, there are probably 10 golfers on LIV who I would want to go and watch. The rest are just names that would get lost in the field list of any PGAT/DPWT event.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
In fairness, there are probably 10 golfers on LIV who I would want to go and watch. The rest are just names that would get lost in the field list of any PGAT/DPWT event.

I’m trying to think of names of PGA players I’d like to go and watch, Rory, Speith, Scheffler, I’m struggling after that 🤔
Sure I’ve missed some big names off 🤣

Edit
Fowler and Hovland.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The problem is, those players rarely appear together at the same event - the DPWT has had the most interesting leaderboards of 2024 so far, but even that will change next weekend..

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The problem is, those players rarely appear together at the same event - the DPWT has had the most interesting leaderboards of 2024 so far, but even that will change next weekend..
It’s January.

What have the LiV fields been like so far?

cleveland52

Visit site
Please tell me you can see the irony in this comment. What do you think the PGAT has been for the last 20-30 years?

The reality is, the talks that are happening now could have happened, with similar outcomes, at the very beginning without the pain that has taken place.
Please tell me when the PGAT paid a player (Jon Rahm) $500M to play on its tour. Why would the PGAT talk to an entity that's trying to rip them apart?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Please tell me when the PGAT paid a player (Jon Rahm) $500M to play on its tour. Why would the PGAT talk to an entity that's trying to rip them apart?
The amount is irrelevant, they have been out paying and bullying other tours for years. There just happens to be a bigger kid in the yard right now .

Maybe if they'd talked at the beginning then they wouldn't be trying to rip them apart 🤷🏻‍♂️. It's what is happening now anyway.

cleveland52

Visit site
The amount is irrelevant, they have been out paying and bullying other tours for years. There just happens to be a bigger kid in the yard right now .

Maybe if they'd talked at the beginning then they wouldn't be trying to rip them apart 🤷🏻‍♂️. It's what is happening now anyway.
Maybe, maybe not. Hindsight is always 20/20. In this case I think David will slay Goliath again because one has a better product. IMO

Still, I don't recall the PGAT bullying anyone. What I do recall is players coming over due to greed.

Fore Right

Visit site
1st post so be gentle and probably going in at the deep end on this thread 😲

I'm new to golf, only started playing during covid 3 years ago.

I'm hooked on playing the game and watching the game now.

I've found reading through this thread fascinating.

I watch Euro and USA golf on Sky.

I really enjoy watching Liv, the format doesn't bother me, in fact i prefer it's shorter more compact viewing time and there are some great golfers to watch all at the same time.

Not really bought into the team thing yet or picked a team to follow but I probably will at some point, probably Rahm's team as he is my fave golfer.

Maybe it's different for me as a new to the game golfer..