LIV Golf

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Which was because he won the ET tour Championship about 18 months ago which jumped him up the rankings

He is another Quiros , Colsearts etc - a decent European Tour player who will win on tour every now and then - but he isn’t what you would call one of the big tour players

So you are saying the world Number 34 is just decent, WOW.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get that, but could this be an issue going forward, where European based players would rather play LIV golf than the DP Tour.
This allegiance is all a bit of a farce in my opinion, Pelley has made a dogs dinner of all this.

Can't blame them if they can have their cake and eat it too. Earn millions playing 14 tournaments a year on LIV and then top off the pension pot with a few select appearances on the DP tour. Lowest paid on LIV last year was Ogeltree with £120000 but I assume that he only played one event. Hudson Swafford (no me either) finished 48th and earned £1.2 million and Richard Bland finished 24th and earned £3.5 million so if you can get in to the top half of LIV there's serious money being handed out. And that's without looking at the signing on fees the players got. It sucks for the DP Tour and for the players committed to the tour who will miss out on the bigger events if LIV golfers are allowed to take part as I can't see the LIV players wanting to turn up for the lower profile events.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't blame them if they can have their cake and eat it too. Earn millions playing 14 tournaments a year on LIV and then top off the pension pot with a few select appearances on the DP tour. Lowest paid on LIV last year was Ogeltree with £120000 but I assume that he only played one event. Hudson Swafford (no me either) finished 48th and earned £1.2 million and Richard Bland finished 24th and earned £3.5 million so if you can get in to the top half of LIV there's serious money being handed out. And that's without looking at the signing on fees the players got. It sucks for the DP Tour and for the players committed to the tour who will miss out on the bigger events if LIV golfers are allowed to take part as I can't see the LIV players wanting to turn up for the lower profile events.

I agree with this, It's just a killer for the DP Tour losing a player like Pieters if he does go and then they can't come back if they lose the case.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ease of the drink Harry, If the world number 34 is a Journeyman in golf then you're clearly on something.

The way the rankings work then someone floating around in the 30’s to 80’s is your standard journeyman tour pro if he is consistent - he has been around for a decade now and won one big tournament and hasn’t really threatened in any major. Charles Howell is the perfect example of a journeyman pro and he got into the top 15

Journeyman

a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
"a solid journeyman professional"

That appears to fit golfers like Pieters very well 🤷‍♂️

He isn’t a huge loss to the ET - he isn’t a stand out name

Harry Putter

Visit site
The way the rankings work then someone floating around in the 30’s to 80’s is your standard journeyman tour pro if he is consistent - he has been around for a decade now and won one big tournament and hasn’t really threatened in any major. Charles Howell is the perfect example of a journeyman pro and he got into the top 15

Journeyman

a worker or sports player who is reliable but not outstanding.
"a solid journeyman professional"

That appears to fit golfers like Pieters very well 🤷‍♂️

He isn’t a huge loss to the ET - he isn’t a stand out name

Exactly, so true and apposite

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fact that you resort to insults and can't put forward a decent argument makes you look like a bit of a simpleton.

erm? where is your decent argument and lack of insults? if your going to have a go at someone for being insulting and not coming up with a good argument at least dont do exactly the same.

Swango1980

Visit site
This is the thing

No matter where in the world someone is in the rankings they instantly become rubbish when they go to Liv.

That's the rules apparently

If woods went today the following over on Liv would be amazing.woods is golf. But everyone would just say how he finished

If rahm and Rory went the same fans would be claiming their past it and Rory hasn't won a major in years so is no loss

The anti Liv stance from people who don't like it is hilarious, it's like everyone else must agree with them that it's rubbish.

One of my PP hates liv , he rants about it like no tomorrow..he seems to pay more attention to it than those who watch it

It's hilarious
To be fair, surely people aren't really making the point he is rubbish at all. They are just saying he is no big deal. He isn't a stand out, exciting player that makes many want to tune in to watch him.

And, I'm fairly confident they had that same opinion if they saw him on the PGA Tour or DP.

It isn't that he has suddenly become anything. Except he has suddenly become the topic of conversation due to LIV. If he wasn't joining LIV, not one of us would be singing his praises on any thread.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the thing

No matter where in the world someone is in the rankings they instantly become rubbish when they go to Liv.

That's the rules apparently

If woods went today the following over on Liv would be amazing.woods is golf. But everyone would just say how he finished

If rahm and Rory went the same fans would be claiming their past it and Rory hasn't won a major in years so is no loss

The anti Liv stance from people who don't like it is hilarious, it's like everyone else must agree with them that it's rubbish.

One of my PP hates liv , he rants about it like no tomorrow..he seems to pay more attention to it than those who watch it

It's hilarious

To be fair, even by his own admission, he's said that his days of competing for titles are numbered. He obviously still a massive draw but in terms of being at the very top of golf he's finished.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

DJ hit the nail on the head for me saying more money for less work.. fair play to him.. thats his choice

same with rory its his choice to not be interested and wants to be world number 1 etc

DJ , phil, reed can play the masters for life and for americans it seems that the masters is the one they want more than any. so fair play they got the money and can play their fav tournament

ironically LIV is the best thing to happen to the PGA in years.. . not for creating great new format .. but the PGA tour pulled its finger out.. its now a better product .. even the pros admit the pga has raised it game.. its also got rid of patrick reed.. so whats not to love?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair, surely people aren't really making the point he is rubbish at all. They are just saying he is no big deal. He isn't a stand out, exciting player that makes many want to tune in to watch him.

And, I'm fairly confident they had that same opinion if they saw him on the PGA Tour or DP.

It isn't that he has suddenly become anything. Except he has suddenly become the topic of conversation due to LIV. If he wasn't joining LIV, not one of us would be singing his praises on any thread.

exact same things were said when DJ, Byrson, Reed left for liv tho.. thats the point, people cant seem to be like damn thats a good player gone what a shame the pga tour will miss him

Harry Putter

Visit site
erm? where is your decent argument and lack of insults? if your going to have a go at someone for being insulting and not coming up with a good argument at least dont do exactly the same.

errrm, i said the world no 34, in my opinion, is a journeyman and I'll add that in my mind he is a good player but won't win a Major.

And your argument against my opinion @pauljames87 is......?

D

Deleted member 15344

Pieters would probably have been in the Ryder cup team wouldn’t he? Shows the strength of European golf then.
There is only Rahm and Rory from Europe who are expected to win often. Does this make all the rest journeyman?

He isn’t anywhere near qualifying - not even in the top 20

https://www.rydercup.com/rankings

30th on the European Points and 34th on the World Points