LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
Oh the irony.

Mike Mike, Mike.

You forget how long I've been around here and I have a very good memory. And for the record I don't appreciate casual racism nor see why my nationality was brought into it.
Are Scottish people a race in their own right? Is "racism" the correct term?

It's funny, over the years I've known many people make comments towards me like "it's because he is Irish". I know a few Scots people, and sometimes something is said and they get "it's because he is Scottish".

I, or they, have never been offended by these casual stereotypes.

I think more people get offended by people who make accusations of casual racism. After all, I doubt people really think bad things about a person who has been revealed as Scottish, or the fact that person may have extra pride in their own nation. However, some people will think bad things about people who have been accused as racist. So, if that accusation is incredibly unfair, it is an offensive one to make.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Played an Open yesterday. Three teams tied on 90 points. Incredible finish. We need to get these events on youTube so everyone can enjoy them :)

I also had 7 birdies, my best ever I think. The fans would love that
Whilst I am fairly sure this is tongue in cheek ?, the point is valid - exciting finishes can happen all over golf at various levels. The challenge IMO the entertainment industry has had across the various feeder tours is having enough interest for tickets & viewers up front for them to have a chance to see the finish.
Not suggesting you'd have that issue of course ?

BubbaP

Visit site
Respect is determined by the quality of the field. The quality of the field is determined by the number of world top 30 golfers teeing up. The World Tour will have respect according to the number of top players like Fitzpatrick that play. Thats why the Euro tour was respected in the haydays of Monte, Seve, Faldo, Lyle, Olazabal etc. But isnt now. The same as the Saudi tour isnt respected now, but could be if it twists another half dozen top 30s to defect. If it doesnt achieve that it will remain unrespected.
Generally agree. Know 30 is your number. Until recently the ogwr used the top 200 to derive field strength. I'm generally not surprised if someone in top 150 wins a decent size event such is depth these days, so I'm open to numbers higher than 30 personally.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

Think he is spot in regards some of the players

Especially those who are just using the comp for ranking points- some ET players have missed out

Agree with this, players that have never played the event before shouldn't just be allowed to walk in.
Good to see that he defended the European players who have given loads to the tour been allowed to play and Patrick Reed :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: In fairness he has played in more than most in Europe.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Another thing with the interview how he was saying the media had hyped up this rivalry, don't get me wrong there is always people that don't get along and this might put fuel in the fire for some.
As an example Jon Rahm and Sergio are great friends, just because he made a decision he didn't agree with should it affect their friendship.
My wife makes decisions I'm not happy with all the time but I'm not going to divorce her because of it, yet :LOL::LOL:
Its an important part of the whole situation, because more and more will start coming out the longer these guys are spending more time together.
Especially with the new PGA minimum amount of events, which Fitzpatrick and Rahm have already needs to be sorted out.
Will be interesting to see what happens after Jay Monahan's visit, lets just hope Keith Pelley grows a set and starts fighting for the European Tour a bit more.

evemccc

Visit site
I sincerely doubt Pelley has any loyalty to the ‘European’ aspect of the DP World tour…and the confirmation of another likely-blue-riband event today taking place in the ME confirms this to me

When the FA Cup first had sponsorship, they insisted it was officially called something akin to ‘The FA Cup sponsored by Littlewoods’ (or whoever it was back then) — Pelley could have demanded the same with ET Tour and DP World

BubbaP

Visit site
It'll never happen but I'd prefer it if they did away with co-sanctioning. Just have race to dubai points for actual European tour events.
Ancer who is one copping flak is listed on the European tour site as having 1 DPWT win!
Gooch, another, as having played 5 times on DPWT in 2022.
All a bit of a mess really. And why we often have race to dubai leaders not having played a 'genuine' European tour event.
I think Horschel played his first when he was 32 years old so wasn't exactly rushing to join in.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Generally agree. Know 30 is your number. Until recently the ogwr used the top 200 to derive field strength. I'm generally not surprised if someone in top 150 wins a decent size event such is depth these days, so I'm open to numbers higher than 30 personally.

I think 30 is a good number though, if anything maybe lower. Its an exponential thing rather than linear, with the top players really defining the quality and peoples perception of the value if the tournament. Tiger is the extreme example in his prime, or even during the comeback season 18/19. 3 top 10 players are worth more than 20 players 50-100 ranking. Thats elite sport. Part celebrity and brand recognition, partly people watch sport to see the really best, not the 100th best. You could perm any number of players ranked 50-200, and while correctly, it changes the field difficulty, for the general spectator and interest, it doesnt change it a jot.
Thats why the make-weights in the LIV field count for nothing. They have 6 golfers.Good ones, and interesting no doubt. But the rest count as just filler, or champions/nostalgia tour stuff.

BubbaP

Visit site
What happens to the unwanted 20/30/40 players who initially signed, but can’t play in the LIV event because LIV have now signed “better” players? Do they all just go back en masse & turn up to play on the European Tour? Will they get an “amnesty” if they then say sorry & sign a new contract with the European Tour? I don’t have the patience & time to check through 325 pages of posts either!
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/liv-golf.111261/post-2541914

BubbaP

Visit site
I think 30 is a good number though, if anything maybe lower. Its an exponential thing rather than linear, with the top players really defining the quality and peoples perception of the value if the tournament. Tiger is the extreme example in his prime, or even during the comeback season 18/19. 3 top 10 players are worth more than 20 players 50-100 ranking. Thats elite sport. Part celebrity and brand recognition, partly people watch sport to see the really best, not the 100th best. You could perm any number of players ranked 50-200, and while correctly, it changes the field difficulty, for the general spectator and interest, it doesnt change it a jot.
Thats why the make-weights in the LIV field count for nothing. They have 6 golfers.Good ones, and interesting no doubt. But the rest count as just filler, or champions/nostalgia tour stuff.
Thing is there are different types of spectator out there. Some for example will follow Fowler wherever he is playing. Some have continent, country, state/county loyalties. Many of us had a chuckle about Cameron tringale, but he might have a big following in California or because he represented Georgia Tech - I don't know. I do agree that majority of us are drawn to the top players, but the spectator link is complex IMO.

D

Deleted member 15344

It'll never happen but I'd prefer it if they did away with co-sanctioning. Just have race to dubai points for actual European tour events.
Ancer who is one copping flak is listed on the European tour site as having 1 DPWT win!
Gooch, another, as having played 5 times on DPWT in 2022.
All a bit of a mess really. And why we often have race to dubai leaders not having played a 'genuine' European tour event.
I think Horschel played his first when he was 32 years old so wasn't exactly rushing to join in.

The 5 events Gooch has played are majors and WGC

Abraham Ancer won a WGC

They are counted as ET Events

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes, that is the point being made ?‍♂️
Not sure what yours is though?

That the likes of Gooch and Co haven’t played on any actual ET events and shouldn’t be near the BMW

Apologies if misread

BubbaP

Visit site
That the likes of Gooch and Co haven’t played on any actual ET events and shouldn’t be near the BMW

Apologies if misread
No problem ?

Understand the view.
Do think some attention should be pointed at the organisers though.
Horschel, and no doubt others, have taken same route in the past, straight into the BMW.
Need to decide if they want full members playing, or high ranked players.
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/liv-golf.111261/post-2540776