LIV Golf

evemccc

Visit site
Shotgun start-shotgun finish worked well

The contrast to the playoff which seemed to happen at normal broadcast speed was a huge juxtaposition — seemed v slow compared to what went before

Visit site
I confess, I have not read every post on this subject (323 pages and rising), so I apologise if this subject has already been covered.
What happens to an LIV player who goes off the boil, and there is another (up and coming or otherwise) player who is willing to join LIV?
Can that "off the boil" player return to the PGA, the DP, or the Asia Tour, or is he banned for life?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I confess, I have not read every post on this subject (323 pages and rising), so I apologise if this subject has already been covered.
What happens to an LIV player who goes off the boil, and there is another (up and coming or otherwise) player who is willing to join LIV?
Can that "off the boil" player return to the PGA, the DP, or the Asia Tour, or is he banned for life?
At the moment only the PGA Tour (USA) has a ban in place I think. DPWT has a court date in early 2023 I believe.

sunshine

Visit site

The PGA tour ban is not for life, but it’s a moot point as most of the Liv players resigned from the tour so have not been banned.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Was you wearing shorts and draining eagle putts, just putting my business plan into the bank but I feel this could be the deal breaker.

All jokes aside there have been endless comments made about exhibition golf, I got the impression that the top end of the field enjoyed the increased top of the table. This is without doubt something that was missing in the first couple of events
Think that is fair comment. It wasn't a 'major' leaderboard, despite Westy coming 2nd ?, but felt on par with many regular PGAT events of recent times.
Cynic in me thinks they set the course a little easier than previous outings anticipating a few new viewers with no PGAT on.
Be interesting to see how next outing stacks up.

Swango1980

Visit site
Who is Anirban Lahiri and Joaquin Nieman? I'm sure it is nice to see Westy up there, it is like a throwback to the late 1990's

Although, until they are competing with the likes of Colin Montgomery or Langer, winning these events means little :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think if they get another 5 top 20-30 players you’ll see a completely different LIV attitude from the players.

Was rd 1 & 2 a bit bland… of course but it was the first two rounds of a completely new series. Give it 12 months an you’ll be see regular finishes like this and it will change the perception of LIV.

evemccc

Visit site
Who is Anirban Lahiri and Joaquin Nieman? I'm sure it is nice to see Westy up there, it is like a throwback to the late 1990's

Although, until they are competing with the likes of Colin Montgomery or Langer, winning these events means little :)

Who is Joaquin Niemann?

Came 11th in the Tour Champ. less than 14 days ago, ranked 19 in world, two-time winner on the PGA Tour…Aged only 23 and from Chile

Pretty sure the exact type of up-and-coming young talent the PGAT want to keep…the fact that he’s from Chile and could have helped the PGA Tour ‘grow the game’ (exploit underdeveloped golf markets for $$$) is further grist in the mill for Jay, no doubt

D

Deleted member 1147

Who is Joaquin Niemann?

Came 11th in the Tour Champ. less than 14 days ago, ranked 19 in world, two-time winner on the PGA Tour…Aged only 23 and from Chile

Pretty sure the exact type of up-and-coming young talent the PGAT want to keep…the fact that he’s from Chile and could have helped the PGA Tour ‘grow the game’ (exploit underdeveloped golf markets for $$$) is further grist in the mill for Jay, no doubt
I think it was tongue in cheek

D

Deleted member 15344

Yet I assume that you can't see the issue of double standards whereby DP World Tour players can play on both Tours?

I assume that this is only down to our home tour not posing a threat to their monopoly and Pelley does as he's told.

I personally think it's a complete shambles and should never have gotten to this stage.

Incidentally tonight's viewing on the LIV Tour has been nothing short of sensational. Long may that continue. Even simple things like the team event have been amazing with a 9 shot swing in a matter of holes.

Is it double standards ?

The players that join the PGAT did so via qualifying via a pathway - they gained their membership on both tours as the rules allows , same with players going to sunshine tour and Asian tour etc

LIV have a different way of working - there is no qualifying, entry to LIV is not open to anyone who wants to qualify , it’s a closed invite only event.

Players move between tours , and it’s not helped the ET but that started over a decade ago when golf his a downturn and many comps lost sponserships etc so players did move to the US to get a better career for them

I’m not a fan of calling it the DP and it’s poor some of things they did but they need the sponsers to attract the players - circle of life

As for the event this weekend being “sensational” - it sounds like it was a decent ending with a play off , so it ended just like any other golf event with a playoff ?‍♂️

But I prefer the ending of the event in Denmark and the reaction of Wilson - he may not have won a fraction of the money DJ or indeed some of his “teammates” - but you could see it meant more

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It wasnt the play off that was the main differentiator, it was the multiple players in contention finishing on differnt holes.

It hasnt really been on show thus far. That was the first real taste of it.

Admittedly it is certainly a novelty to see a pro tournament finish this way. With one putting to take the win and 4 or 5 others trying to get or stay at 15under to make a play off it was exciting. What u gain in speed of action, you lose in setting the scene of each shot. For example lahiri hit the shot of the day into his last hole and I'm still not sure if it was a 5 or 3 wood. The on course commentator Lu-Ann is fairly poor at what she does. Whilst radar can grate at times, the man does know his onions.
The constant mention of the team event is nearly unbearable.
If the pga tour didnt exist and this was how pro golf was presented I wouldn't be too happy about it. I can see how it would appeal to those who dont really watch much golf.
LIV doesnt seem like it going away any time soon. I'm bitterly disappointed at pro golf being fractured the way it has. Its certainly not good for the game as a whole. It's been a crazy 6 months and I cant predict how it will all turn out.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Watched my first chunk of LIV Golf last night and quite enjoyed it (as there was nothing else on)

Shotgun start - non-stop action (lack of ads) was pretty amazing viewing
Playing in shorts - who really cares?

Dislikes
The hole microphone was particularly grating
Still don't know which team anyone is in
Team graphics not clear - format not made clear
Arlo White
Feherty looked bored stupid
No real talk of money when that's all there is to it
Felt like the afternoon round of the Club Champs

evemccc

Visit site
Watched my first chunk of LIV Golf last night and quite enjoyed it (as there was nothing else on)

Dislikes
Arlo White

Watching for ‘free’ on YouTube is great
No advertisements is great
Shotgun start and non-stop ‘condensed’ action is great

Don’t understand the complaint about there being no talk of money..?
It matters to me not a jot whether the winner wins $1, $10 or $1 million - it certainly doesn’t impact my viewing experience lack of commentator talk over how much an already-multi-millionaire is going to win..

I enjoy the aesthetic value of good golfers hitting great shots on attractive courses, not how much they win or how much they win is talked about over comms!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Dislikes
Arlo White

Here's a revolutionary idea. Use Google if you don't know.

Here was me thinking journalism was about research and investigation. Obviously spoon fed ignorance is the easier option.

Then again it's not really surprising that the press are still running with the anti LIV agenda.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Is it double standards ?

The players that join the PGAT did so via qualifying via a pathway - they gained their membership on both tours as the rules allows , same with players going to sunshine tour and Asian tour etc

LIV have a different way of working - there is no qualifying, entry to LIV is not open to anyone who wants to qualify , it’s a closed invite only event.

Players move between tours , and it’s not helped the ET but that started over a decade ago when golf his a downturn and many comps lost sponserships etc so players did move to the US to get a better career for them

I’m not a fan of calling it the DP and it’s poor some of things they did but they need the sponsers to attract the players - circle of life

As for the event this weekend being “sensational” - it sounds like it was a decent ending with a play off , so it ended just like any other golf event with a playoff ?‍♂️

But I prefer the ending of the event in Denmark and the reaction of Wilson - he may not have won a fraction of the money DJ or indeed some of his “teammates” - but you could see it meant more

100% sensational finish, far better than the DP pish. Made even better by another capitulation by Westwood who was crestfallen by it, you could see what it meant to him also.

The culmination of the LIV is far superior due to the shotgun start.

100% double standards. Play on a Tour we like and can influence. LIV - oh sorry we can't influence that - right you're barred.

D

Deleted member 15344

100% sensational finish, far better than the DP pish. Made even better by another capitulation by Westwood who was crestfallen by it, you could see what it meant to him also.

100% double standards. Play on a Tour we like and can influence. LIV - oh sorry we can't influence that - right you're barred.

It was a playoff and one player got an eagle ?

Sensational ? Really ?

And why did a shotgun start make it “far superior” ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Google translate is giving me nothing. Can anyone give me a summary of what this rambling is supposed to mean?

The LiV bots are getting worse. ?

D

Deleted member 21445

No doubt, this event was a huge leap forward for their tour.
Crowds were a lot bigger , great atmosphere which may be a sign of people starting to embrace the tour a little more.
As mentioned by someone earlier, the stronger field with more respected top players really elevated the viewing experience.
In retrospect Cam Smiths signing is way more significant than I thought at the time of announcement.
I hope they do sign with a streaming service when they get their TV deal, I really like the non stop no ads coverage.

I thought it was telling that DJ said in his post win press conference that the fields were going to be even stronger next year...
Read into that comment as much as you like....