LIV Golf

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can’t seem to find the current CEO’s salary, but Richard Scudamore, the previous premier league CEO was on 5mil a year. Would seem a bit weird if the players were earning millions and the boss of the league/tour was on an average wage.

All pretty disgusting but there you go.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I can’t seem to find the current CEO’s salary, but Richard Scudamore, the previous premier league CEO was on 5mil a year. Would seem a bit weird if the players were earning millions and the boss of the league/tour was on an average wage.

All pretty disgusting but there you go.

Didn't the Premier League chairmen give him a massive leaving bonus too? Madness.

AAC

Visit site
I just hope that the LIV have a few million in reserve to sign up the american morons who still think shouting 'get in the hole' is original and funny. It was a continual annoyance during Matt Fitzpatrick's great win last week as it is on most of Sky's US golf coverage. If they pop off to the LIV at least the Saudi's might be-head them ;)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone who thinks the LIV Tour is a victory for libertarianism, or a fresh new product, good luck to you. Enjoy the ADD broadcast and the team structure.

In my opinion, and other views are available, it is a bunch of mostly has beens or have never yet beens, with a few current high end players who seem unhappy with the mere millions already being thrown at them and who want tens or hundreds of millions instead.

To characterise it as anything other than a vulgar feeding frenzy just doesn't wash. There is no attempt to grow golf, whatever that means anyway. The vulgarity is only set to increase, as Trump gets involved. In some ways Trump is the perfect host, as any vestige of ethical behaviour is abandoned and everybody gets their snouts in the trough.

The PGA Tour is far from perfect, but next to the LIV Tour, it is virtuous and socially responsible to a level some of you would consider uber-woke. I hope the PGA Tour and DP World Tour get together, refine their structures and schedules and take on the LIV Tour head on. They should leave a window open for players to come back, say end of season, but then close and lock the door and throw away the keys.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well in the original post, which has been cropped, I was pointing out that the PGA Tour is registered as a NFP, to avoid paying tax.

When the commisioner alone is taking such a large salary, and they are getting nowhere near the charitable commitment of the top 100 NFP's in the USA, then I think it's worthy of discussion.

Also, Foxholer asked me to provide evidence to back up my claims of his income - which is what I was doing.
And you haven't provided sufficient evidence to support it - at least not sufficiently to accept your statement as correct imo. Just more speculation presented as fact!

The NFP status of The PGA Tour is irrelevant to any discussion about salaries of its employees.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If people are taking umbrage with the PGA Tour on the basis that an NPO shouldn’t pay high compensation then I have some rather bad news for you about how most of the world’s largest charities operate.

The PGA Tour is not, strictly speaking, a charitable organisation. Anyway, that concept is very different in the US than it is in the UK. Charitable organisations are covered by IRS Section 501(c)(3). The PGA Tour is a tax exempt organisation under 501(c)(6).,see link

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Guys, I'm just answering the question to validate my claims of Monahan's salary with facts - I've done that.
No you haven't!
If the Commissioner is making around 9 million a year from running a 'charity', he's doing rather well for himself.
Again, Speculation only. Or, even worse, exaggeration!
The inference The org being declared as a 'charity', as opposed to the NFP status that you know it is, is even more obscene, even using quote marks.
FWIW, projected 2022 turnover of The PGA Tour is 1.522 Billion, so 'compensation' for CEO and Commissioner, while certainly high, don't seem inappropriate.

Last edited:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I think I've got it sorted in my head now... LIV tour good, PGA tour evil (y)

Or both 'evil'? Prior to LIV there was some disgruntlement around the PGA and a general unhappiness about how the money filters through etc. The PGA Tour, like FIFA / UEFA, the FA, the IOC, NFL, etc., are the not self proclaimed forces for good they claim to be - they are self serving. LIV is no better (actually worse in reality), but let's not hold up the PGA Tour as a virtuous organisation.

Guys, I'm just answering the question to validate my claims of Monahan's salary with facts - I've done that.

If the PGA Tour want to claim not for profit through charity status, then fine, but it's only fair to scrutinise their executives salaries isn't it?

If the Commissioner is making around 9 million a year from running a 'charity', he's doing rather well for himself.

We all know the LIV series is paying obscene amounts of money, buy equally Monahan's salary shouldn't escape scrutiny.

Even if Monahan earns a shocking amount of money, the question is does he bring value to the organisation he receives that money from - yes. It's justifiable in my mind. In fact, if I was LIV, I wouldn't be targeting players - I'd be targeting Monahan. $7m a year? What about $50m a year plus a nice $100m just to say yes to becoming LIVs commissioner. That'd be a statement signing!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The PGA Tour is not, strictly speaking, a charitable organisation. Anyway, that concept is very different in the US than it is in the UK. Charitable organisations are covered by IRS Section 501(c)(3). The PGA Tour is a tax exempt organisation under 501(c)(6).,see link

Gah, yes, indeed, I brainfarted in my reply. I wasn’t meaning to imply charities and not-for-profit are equivalent entities, just that they both face similar challenges in attracting the best executives via competitive remuneration. I’m aware that some healthcare executives do very well from their respective non profits which I would imagine is something you’re more familiar with.

Swango1980

Visit site
DP Tour have fined LIV members £100,000 and suspended them from upcoming event
Well, there was wonder what the DP World Tour would do. Some hoped that they would allow LIV players to play in the DP events, improve the quality of field.

However, they have gone the other way, and look to categorically align themselves with the PGA Tour.

Golfing politics gets more interesting.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Im sensing the opportunity for a LIV v PGA/ DP World tour team event....

Anyone got a few billion to back my new business?

Phil v Tiger
Rory v DJ
Bryson v Morikawa
Brooks v JT

Just think of the potential! :ROFLMAO: