LIV Golf

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Still a field of some of the most unsavoury players in the world with limited star appeal.

DJ, Bryson and Brooks are the only top tier players in my view. DJ is way past his peak and will struggle to win another major, Bryson has wrecked his body and has a limited shelf life, while Brooks looks half the player he was. Easy decision for all three to take the money and I don't blame them on a professional point of view.

However as a spectacle, LIV need way more than a shotgun and the current limited field to really take away the spotlight and kudos from the PGA Tour.

I also doubt the PGA Tour have been sitting on this money all along, it's most likely a haul of the major sponsors backing the tour in a fight for survival.
Agree with much of that.
Star appeal is subjective though, and as been previously noted a few high ranked on the pip programme have jumped.
This week's PGA Tour event has a good field, helped in part by close proximity to the US Open. The following week will be more interesting. Although I wouldn't be surprised if some behind the scenes dealing may be going on to boost it.

Last edited:

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
surprised we havent heard much fallout from the sponsors of the players. If you are Nike, for example, and you are paying a huge amount for a player to wear your clothes and shoes because they are on major tv networks every week around the world, are there not contractual implications if the player decides to move to a competition that doesnt even have a tv deal yet?
Fair question, guess the relevant bit is are they paying to be on tv networks?
It may be their target audience generally don't own tvs, and those that do only plug games consoles and streaming sticks into them. Am sure they will be watching closely - golf has been all over the news/media of late (if for the wrong reasons). I've had peole chat to me about golf who never normally would.

4LEX

Visit site
Agree with much of that.
Star appeal is subjective though, and as been previously noted a few high ranked on the pip programme have jumped.
This week's PGA Tour event has a good field, helped in part by close proximity to the US Open. The following week will be more interesting. Although I wouldn't be surprised if some behind the scenes dealing may be going on to boost it.

Totally agree on the star appeal. The PIP situation is interesting and it's also curious to see LIV buying up a lot of YouTubers.

The PGA Tour will always have it's baron spells, especially around The Open as players gather around the UK.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Who missed out from last one?

Interesting the 3 to be announced I reckon they will be nobodies unless they can get another person in sharpo
Not too difficult to work out, there are 6 new signings, Koepka, De Chambeau, Reed, Ancer, Perez and, the one we all missed, Yuki Inamori.
So 48 names from Centurion + 6 above = 54 less 45 named means 9 from Centurion miss out or not named yet.
They are: Oliver Bekker, Kevin Yaun, Pablo Larrazabel, JC Ritchie, Viraj Madappa, David Puig, Oliver Fisher, Andy Ogletree and Ratchanon Chantananuwat.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not too difficult to work out, there are 6 new signings, Koepka, De Chambeau, Reed, Ancer, Perez and, the one we all missed, Yuki Inamori.
So 48 names from Centurion + 6 above = 54 less 45 named means 9 from Centurion miss out or not named yet.
They are: Oliver Bekker, Kevin Yaun, Pablo Larrazabel, JC Ritchie, Viraj Madappa, David Puig, Oliver Fisher, Andy Ogletree and Ratchanon Chantananuwat.

It's not i just was too busy to sit down with the two lists hence asking lol

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well it won't, BDC picking Reed, Perez and Koepka Jr will cement it's place in golfing folklore. ;-)

Absolutely, ranking alongside Sarazen's 'shot heard round the world', Hogan's recovery from life threatening injuries, Nicklaus's 1986 Masters win, Tiger winning the US Open with a broken leg, and Fitzpatrick's bunker shot on Sunday. ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It was dreamt up by a 30-something year old marketing executive who thought they had a career until they stood in front of a flipchart and 20 suits and said they've got a good idea... let's ignore the past 150 years of golfing tradition and devise a format that people enjoy and follow something like the IPL team thing.. lets make up whacky team names that will draw the ignorant punters in, make pots of cash and no mistake. Sorry mate, golf is an individual sport and you bombed out. If you think I wake up in the morning looking forward to the Perez/Reed team score then think again...
It's simply a 'differentiation' exercise!

sunshine

Visit site
Totally agree on the star appeal. The PIP situation is interesting and it's also curious to see LIV buying up a lot of YouTubers.

The PGA Tour will always have it's baron spells, especially around The Open as players gather around the UK.

And it seems they are also buying up wannabe youtubers. Anyone on a journey to scratch, or a vlog of their kids, however obscure.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

3 of the biggest "stars" of the PGA Tour, Rory, Justin Thomas and Spieth - I think we can all agree, they are an important part of the PGA Tour?

Out of 26 PGA Tour events so far this year, they have competed together just 5 times, and 3 of those were the majors. From the PGA Tour's point, that really needs to improve.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
3 of the biggest "stars" of the PGA Tour, Rory, Dustin Thomas and Spieth - I think we can all agree, they are an important part of the PGA Tour?

Out of 26 PGA Tour events so far this year, they have competed together just 5 times, and 3 of those were the majors. From the PGA Tour's point, that really needs to improve.
Who?