LIV Golf

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
But as I alluded yesterday, it's an indication that the people who decide who gets OWGR points, don't have any issues with LIV players competing in their events, and might well sanction the LIV tour being awarded those points.
More hopeful rubbish! It's purely conformation that they 'obey their own rules'!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
More hopeful rubbish! It's purely conformation that they 'obey their own rules'!

Ok, explain to me why they WON'T sanction the LIV getting OWGR points - on what grounds will they turn them down, when they now have players competing who are in the current crop of top 20 players in the world?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ok, explain to me why they WON'T sanction the LIV getting OWGR points - on what grounds will they turn them down, when they now have players competing who are in the current crop of top 20 players in the world?
I'm in no position to really answer with any confidence of accuracy. But my guess would be because they fear the possible damage to their own Tours that LIV's entry could have. And, as that's their job(s) they would not be doing their duty to their Tours if they agreed to something that would 'damage' their Tours. Would a CEO consciously agree to something knowing that agreement would damage the business? Would you agree to something likely to hamper your son's golfing progress?

Swango1980

Visit site
Is anyone wondering whether LIV golf have employed some computer nerd to simply spend their entire life signing up to any golf related forum, and just constantly praise LIV Tour without question!?

It would seem like a feasible marketing strategy. Not saying it is happening, but a thought just crossed my mind that there is at least one poster in here that I don't ever remember having posted pre LIV. Yet now they are a regular poster, almost exclusively within this thread. Maybe it is just my cynical mind, and I'm sure nothing of the sort would happen. Although, if the major broadcasters are reluctant to promote LIV, I'm sure LIV need to find many other avenues to exploit.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm in no position to really answer with any confidence of accuracy. But my guess would be because they fear the possible damage to their own Tours that LIV's entry could have. And, as that's their job(s) they would not be doing their duty to their Tours if they agreed to something that would 'damage' their Tours. Would a CEO consciously agree to something knowing that agreement would damage the business? Would you agree to something likely to hamper your son's golfing progress?

I think they might reject it but i'm sure the court of arbitration for sport would tell them to back down

but things will get very very messy

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
OK, let’s be a bit radical.
Play whichever tour you like, PGA, LIV, DP, Asian.
Scrap OWGR points altogether.
The Open and US Open allow past winners from up to 5 years ago, everyone else can go through a qualification process, be that winning a tour event or regional / national qualifying.
The Masters can / will do their own thing as they usually do.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think they might reject it but i'm sure the court of arbitration for sport would tell them to back down
I don't believe a CAS approach would be allowed. CAS Rules require any involvement of CAS to have been agreed between the parties involved in the first place!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Open and US Open allow past winners from up to 5 years ago, everyone else can go through a qualification process, be that winning a tour event or regional / national qualifying.
Or simply allow LIV to allocate OWGR points - based on the existing formula!!

D

Deleted member 1147

Whatever happened to Charlie Hoffman and his participation in the Bonesaw league?
I though he was one of the big cheerleaders

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Whatever happened to Charlie Hoffman and his participation in the Bonesaw league?
I though he was one of the big cheerleaders
Wasn't that simply part of a rant subsequent to a penalty incurred at Waste Open?
I knew a Tour Caddie (frequently for Alex Cejka when he's in UK) with the same nickname as his - 'Seagull' - and, apparently, for the same reason (liable to defecates on folk, and from a great height).

AussieKB

Visit site
The Masters is a joke....field of 90 compared to the other 3 majors of a field of 155

sunshine

Visit site
Is anyone wondering whether LIV golf have employed some computer nerd to simply spend their entire life signing up to any golf related forum, and just constantly praise LIV Tour without question!?

It would seem like a feasible marketing strategy. Not saying it is happening, but a thought just crossed my mind that there is at least one poster in here that I don't ever remember having posted pre LIV. Yet now they are a regular poster, almost exclusively within this thread. Maybe it is just my cynical mind, and I'm sure nothing of the sort would happen. Although, if the major broadcasters are reluctant to promote LIV, I'm sure LIV need to find many other avenues to exploit.

I watched a history programme the other day about the Russian Revolution and how afterwards Stalin used propoganda to rewrite history, negate his opponents and strengthen his position.

The amount of spin and misinformation being posted on this thread is unbelievable. Just feels like somebody is being paid to churn out fake news.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s not an indication of anything

it’s basically saying the the comp is an “open” so it’s Open to all regardless of what affiliation they have.

Ok here is a question

Normally the various tours around the world have final Open spots for players not already qualified

For example the Scottish Open has some spaces for the Open and also the equivalent PGA event has same with the Asian Tour etc - so how many spots have been opened up for the LIV Events ?

The LIV Tour came along after a lot of players had already qualified for The Open, so I think the position taken by the R&A is reasonable. However, they are capable of putting new regulations in place before next year.

If the LIV Tour does get OWGR points, what weight should be given - same as PGA Tour, same as mid ranking DP World Tour, same as Korn Ferry Tour? The fields are small, do not have a lot of strength in depth, with a lot of low ranking players and only a smattering of higher ranking players, some of whom are on the slide.

I doubt Augusta will extend their automatic place offered to full field PGA Tour events.