LIV Golf

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
The Open sanctioning LIV players to take part this year. Another finger flick in the gonads for Monahan.
It's not the R&A's fight, in the same way it's not the USGA's fight, so they could play last week - they can stay apolitical in the whole saga, but the LIV players who aren't exempt from wins, will struggle to qualify due to their OWGR, and the R&A/USGA can sit behind their qualifying criteria, and stay well out of the fight.

D

Deleted member 1147

The Open sanctioning LIV players to take part this year. Another finger flick in the gonads for Monahan.
Have they stated if it's just for this year, ie, not changing the qualifying criteria mis way through the qualifying process. Or if it's a guaranteed entry (say for top 50 etc) going forward?

Swango1980

Visit site
Why would the Open ban them? Are the LIV players in breach of any contract they signed with the Open? Do they no longer meet the qualifying criteria?

I really am not sure what grounds they could ban LIV players, and therefore cannot possibly see how it is a kick in the gonads for Monahan. It is like saying "Alton Towers have not banned LIV players from attending their theme park, another kick in the gonads for Monahan"

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They cant completely stay out of the fight. They have a reputation as major tournaments to maintain, so will have to modify their criteria for qualification. Make top 20 on the LIV, or any LIV winners, or something, eligible to play in the Open and US Open.
They cannot co.promise themselves by excluding a significant number of what are clearly world level golfers, because of a commercial arm wrestle between two American and Saudi ventures.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Have they stated if it's just for this year, ie, not changing the qualifying criteria mis way through the qualifying process. Or if it's a guaranteed entry (say for top 50 etc) going forward?

Martin Slumbers, Chief Executive of The R&A, said: "The Open is golf's original championship and since it was first played in 1860, openness has been fundamental to its ethos and unique appeal.

"Players who are exempt or have earned a place through qualifying for The 150th Open in accordance with the entry terms and conditions will be able to compete in the Championship at St Andrews. We are focused on staging a world class championship in July and celebrating this truly historic occasion for golf. We will invest the proceeds of The Open, as we always do, for the benefit of golf which reflects our purpose to ensure that the sport is thriving 50 years from now."

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Absolute twarubbish! As per a previous post, they are simply applying their published qualification rules. And that's exactly what Slumbes stated!
It's what happens (next year) when the OWGR points drop off - if LIV isn't able to award OWGR points - that will determine whether 'sanctioning' has been performed.
It'll be 'interesting' to see how the ability to award OWGR points situation/request is handled, as that's an area where The PGA Tour actually has significant influence. Personally, I want to see the best players in the world playing at the Majors, irrespective of what tour they play!

D

Deleted member 1147

Martin Slumbers, Chief Executive of The R&A, said: "The Open is golf's original championship and since it was first played in 1860, openness has been fundamental to its ethos and unique appeal.

"Players who are exempt or have earned a place through qualifying for The 150th Open in accordance with the entry terms and conditions will be able to compete in the Championship at St Andrews. We are focused on staging a world class championship in July and celebrating this truly historic occasion for golf. We will invest the proceeds of The Open, as we always do, for the benefit of golf which reflects our purpose to ensure that the sport is thriving 50 years from now."
So he's only stated that they are free to play this year. A bit like Mike Whan said re: the US Open. If people have qualified for this year, they are in.

No comment anywhere about future right to play?

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s no different to the US Open ?‍♂️ The players qualified already can play and anyone not qualified can go through the qualifying process as with any other golfer not affiliated to any tour - that’s not new news

The issue will be in the future will be how the players qualify without ranking points- they will need to go through local , regional and final Qualfying to enter

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Koepka hardly a surprise, although reports that he is a has-been / past it are more than a bit exaggerated - it's a big blow, and clearly shows the players aren't to bothered about Majors or Legacy.

The move by the PGA Tour is reactive, and rather than being innovative it's simply thrown money at the problem and 'copied' some of the format - including some of the very things top players said they weren't interested in (no cuts, removing competition, rich get richer, no guarantees etc.).

The field for the DPWT BMW event this weekend is greatly enhanced by the presence of some of the LIV guys. It would certainly be a proper 'strategic' move by Pelley to facilitate the LIV guys on his tour - the benefit to both parties being more beneficial than an alliance between the LIV and the Asian Tour or indeed the PGA Tour and the DPWT.

If Hovland moves I'll be disappointed, but at what point do we accept that this is gathering momentum? Downplaying the guys that have left is one thing (I've read some extremely disparaging comments about the defactors from publications that only months ago would have been fawning over the same characters), but Top 20 players have now moved; if some Top 10 players go will the narrative change to it's only respected if they get a Top 5 player? Or Top 1?

As an aside, I'm waiting for the BBC and Sky journos to ask Antony Joshua if there's anywhere he won't fight for money?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
That’s no different to the US Open ?‍♂️ The players qualified already can play and anyone not qualified can go through the qualifying process as with any other golfer not affiliated to any tour - that’s not new news

The issue will be in the future will be how the players qualify without ranking points- they will need to go through local , regional and final Qualfying to enter

But as I alluded yesterday, it's an indication that the people who decide who gets OWGR points, don't have any issues with LIV players competing in their events, and might well sanction the LIV tour being awarded those points.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
A part of me does hope the R&A do make the LIV players go through Open Qualifying. Would be great to go and watch at one of the local courses!

D

Deleted member 15344

But as I alluded yesterday, it's an indication that the people who decide who gets OWGR points, don't have any issues with LIV players competing in their events, and might well sanction the LIV tour being awarded those points.

It’s not an indication of anything

it’s basically saying the the comp is an “open” so it’s Open to all regardless of what affiliation they have.

Ok here is a question

Normally the various tours around the world have final Open spots for players not already qualified

For example the Scottish Open has some spaces for the Open and also the equivalent PGA event has same with the Asian Tour etc - so how many spots have been opened up for the LIV Events ?

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure I agree with that, I suspect it's more that they currently have no reason not to allow them to play.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It’s not an indication of anything

it’s basically saying the the comp is an “open” so it’s Open to all regardless of what affiliation they have.

Ok here is a question

Normally the various tours around the world have final Open spots for players not already qualified

For example the Scottish Open has some spaces for the Open and also the equivalent PGA event has same with the Asian Tour etc - so how many spots have been opened up for the LIV Events ?

None as far as I'm aware, but then, 4 weeks ago the LIV didn't really have more than a couple of noteable players signed up. The landscape has changed rapidly since then.
In 12 months time, it will be a completely different scenario.