LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 21445

This is well worth a watch.
Very good description of where we are currently at with the Liv Golf Tour and it's impact.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Let’s look at this from the viewpoint of the venues.

Centurion has hosted a couple of experimental European Tour events, but has not broken into the top echelon of venues where regular events are held.

Possible candidate for future British Masters, but there are many more established venues in line.

So I can see why Centurion decided to host, ups their profile and could return next year. Not sure how the European tour will react to this.

I’ve looked at the rest of the schedule and the American venues are not ones that are familiar to me, therefore I deduce that they are not places where PGA events are played, but they want to up their profiles.

So by hosting LIV, they are burning their boats with any chance of holding a PGA event, which was probably unlikely anyway,
And by hosting LIV they up their profile,

Win win as far as I can see

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Could you not say that about all sports man? Their vastly overpaid for what they do
Other sports don't bang on about the money in the commentary. We don't hear in every game what Salah is earning per weak, or what bonus for goals City pays Debruyne, what the rugby team gets if they win the six nations, or what Nadal gets if he wins this match. We know they are well paid. But the sporting narrative is enough, without the financials.
But the money is all LIV has. As sport, it is a pauper. So they have to push this point all the time. NOT like other sports.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
This is well worth a watch.
Very good description of where we are currently at with the Liv Golf Tour and it's impact.

Pretty good, did seem to become confused to what suspended meant later on. Interesting take on the Masters, they must be pleased with their marketing.
We may never know the full facts, but Mickelson apparently skipping 2 majors by choice might be an indicator.
Always felt his thing was going to be of more interest to non native US players as the PGA T schedule pretty much forces you to take up a US base, so was intrigued to see how many US natives would jump.
I hadn't previously clicked the Presidents cup was a PGA T money spinner. Do wonder if behind closed doors the top guys having to play RC or PC every year was an issue for some.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Just looked at the results for Centurion
There are 19 names I’ve never heard of.

What happens when more people join
At the moment 3 x 3 balls on a shotgun limits your field to 48

Andy Ogletree (who?) Came last with +24, does he now drop off to make way for Patrick Reid or do they increase the format to 4 balls.

If you are at the bottom of LIV with a chance of being relegated with no cushion of the PGA tour to fall back on, seems a bit precarious to me

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Andy Ogletree (who?) Came last with +24, does he now drop off to make way for Patrick Reid or do they increase the format to 4 balls.

If you are at the bottom of LIV with a chance of being relegated with no cushion of the PGA tour to fall back on, seems a bit precarious to me
Many of the players weren't on the PGA Tour beforehand. Wouldn't be surprised if several 'lesser' players are contracted to receive cash even if they don't play.
There was a 15 year old amateur at Centurion, not sure how that worked.
Suspect there is an amount of 'playing it by ear ' as the sign ons materialise.
If they are attached to keeping teams then it limits options I think, divisible by 4 up to 72.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

They could increase to 54 by adding 2 more 3 balls but the team thing would be busted

They could increase to 60.. add 1 member to every team and increase to 4 balls in the main

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i watched some on all three days. Good and bad. Commentary sucks as does the picture quality and some of the camera work. I quite like the team format and the shotgun start - means all playesr get same conditions and keeps it very live. Clearly some of the field are a litle out of their depth and nowhere near the overall quality of the main tours. Also a shame that future golf events on all "3" tours will have less of the best players in any field.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Could you not say that about all sports man? Their vastly overpaid for what they do
Not all sports people, but a lot. And not just sports people, “celebrities” of all sorts and some top business people. Not arguing about amounts of money here, just the irritation of using the term “earned” as opposed to “paid” which for a lot of people is more acurate.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not all sports people, but a lot. And not just sports people, “celebrities” of all sorts and some top business people. Not arguing about amounts of money here, just the irritation of using the term “earned” as opposed to “paid” which for a lot of people is more acurate.

That's why I used the term sportsman

You don't get very many overpaid sportswomen

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

He won the US amateur in 2019 I think. In some ways these guys are more damaging than the Richard Blands / Phil Michelsons as they represent the future. If LIV are targeting them then the PGA tour has a problem in the next 3 to 5 years.

I suspect a lot of these talented amateurs who turn pro after college, Walker Cup, National titles, etc really struggle to get starts on the Korn Ferry tour due to their low categorisation. The LIV series gives them a number of starts and helps them grow. Now if they form a 2 tier structure with promotion / relegation between 2 X LIV leagues I think the PGA tour could be toast.

The PGA tour main source of funds is TV and they have to have a high number of top world ranking players in their events to avoid penalties - they must be really concerned as each top 50 player defects.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Having a concert after an event. How very forward thinking. I’m amazed no one thought of that before.

You do know many of the people there were so because of the free tickets and only went to the venue after the golf had finished! But I bet that wasn’t reported.

Do you think it will fail?

Edit.

Actually, do you think it will fail, and, do you want it to fail?

Leftitshort

Visit site

Edit.

What would failure look like? It’s never going to be a commercial success. As soon as the Saudi regime believe it to have served a purpose they will pull the funding.
I suspect the novelty will wear off and people won’t watch.
If you think it’s about growing the game then you’re a little misguided imo
I’d quite like it to fail. It would show there is still a place in sport for principal!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Edit.

I’ve no idea whether it will fail or not as I don’t know what LIVs objectives are. Maybe as the LIV cheerleader on here you could tell us what they are?

To be honest I’m just amused at you blindly pushing everything associated with this event like it has been a monumental success.

Yes it was the first LIV event, but the quality of golf and overall product is second rate compared to the Canadian Open.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yes, it has long been the goal of Saudi Arabia to grow the game of golf world wide. The love their golf there, it is every mans game, and has deep roots in Saudi sport and cluture. Now that they have billions to put to the good of humanity, they see how much of the world has, unlike them, been deprived of the joy of golf. And they want to right that wrong. Spread the world of golf around the globe so that it is not the preserve of rich Saudis.