LIV Golf

Ian_George

Visit site
If the Nedbank was invitational and no cut, doesn't it then make it an exhibition game ?:rolleyes:
To some, as I've heard it so descried - by an ex Sunshine Tour player! What's your point? It matches LIV in that regard, so you must believe LIV is an exhibition game to be making that comment!

Ian_George

Visit site
you are missing the point, the PGAT created the wrap around tour which the now have abandoned, due to LIV in my opinion, before that we had US and Euro players turning up, but if you cannot get World Players then it is very hard to get sponsors.
Do you mean they created it due to LIV? Or that they abandoned it due to LIV? Your meaning is unclear (cum ambiguous)! If the latter, why do you think that - other than the timing? They've done quite a few things, some obviously because of LIV! But that's not an obvious one - and anyway, so what!

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
That was before the wrap around tour started, as did many come out here before, Seve, Faldo, Monty and Couples to name a few and of course Tigger when they paid him US$100 million to show up.
Sorry but that is rubbish, the PGAT started with the wrap-around season in 2013-2014. Those players appeared in the Australian Open in 2019, the last one to be contested. Given that it is played in January I'm not sure how the wrap-around season has any bearing on it anyway.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Sorry but that is rubbish, the PGAT started with the wrap-around season in 2013-2014. Those players appeared in the Australian Open in 2019, the last one to be contested. Given that it is played in January I'm not sure how the wrap-around season has any bearing on it anyway.

In truth it doesn’t. But rather than be honest and say they can’t be arsed to go to Australia, the players used the wrap around season as an excuse not to go.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
No...because they had to qualify to play in it..
Just like this week..50 players..that had to qualify to be there
It's not an Invitational.

Agree, although maybe eligibility would be a better phrase -
---
The field for the 2022 Nedbank Golf Challenge will feature a maximum of 66 players, and with a new eligibility criteria allowing for 5 tournament invites. Players who meet the following eligibility criteria will be granted a place in one of the most sought-after tournaments in world golf:
ELIGIBILITY:
  1. The leading available 60* players from the DP World Tour Rankings as of 30th October 2022
  2. The winner of the final 2021/2022 Sunshine Tour Order of Merit*
  3. 5 Professional tournament invitations
---
Qualification is just meeting some criteria. Agree on the DPWT Tour Championship. I understand how Morikawa, Zalatoris and Pepperell met the criteria (in different ways!)
Before the trouble arrived, I've stated my preference for the majors to not be included in the rankings for these end of tour season events - make it a better reward for loyalty and performance on the tour - but money, sponsors and ratings will mean that will likely never happen.
But I do acknowledge it is not an open, and I'm okay with that.

I also think the owgr will do a reasonable job on ranking the outcomes in Dubai against those at RSM.
Everyone will be paid, no livelihoods are at stake - I am looking forward to enjoying the sports entertainment. Probably rooting for Ryan Fox.

Ooh, just been notified that if I visit the local supermarket a number of times in the next period, then I'll qualify for extra opportunity for rewards that are not open to other shoppers - happy days ! ;)

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It was a complete go/nogo. But it was an increasing disincentive to go.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It was a complete go/nogo. But it was an increasing disincentive to go.
Please can you explain how, I just don't see it? The PGAT has been an all-round tour for a very long time, I just don't get how changing the season start/end time has any bearing on players travelling to Australia to play in January. It would seem that the ever-increasing purses offered by the PGAT are the reason non-Australians choose not to travel across the globe at a not insignificant cost in time and money in the hope of winning very little, is the much more likely reason.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
By grow the game, they meant grow the revenue from the business of top 50 golfers in the world playing tournaments.

Some misuderstood 'the game' to be golf as a whole, participation numbers, access to it around the world, less exclusivity, etc.
But that isnt what they were speaking about. It probably suited them to not correct people misunderstanding that though.

D

Deleted member 21445

Liv reported to (Fire Drill Podcast) have a Monday Qualifier for their events next year.

Could be for just one spot but with a guaranteed $120,000 for last place if you qualify there will be plenty willing to have a bash..

cleveland52

Visit site
It's not an Invitational.
I can guarantee you that two pages from now AussieKB will ask this same question....

"AussieKB said:
If the Nedbank was invitational and no cut, doesn't it then make it an exhibition game ?:rolleyes:"
It's not an Invitational

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Great of Rory to act all mature by telling everybody Greg needs to be given the heave so that there are only adults in the room.

The guy is a gifted golfer, but jaysus, he's coming across a right bellend at the moment.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great of Rory to act all mature by telling everybody Greg needs to be given the heave so that there are only adults in the room.

The guy is a gifted golfer, but jaysus, he's coming across a right bellend at the moment.

I love him to bits but he needs to wind his neck in, it just isnt helping at all. Had that been a LIV guy saying similar about the PGA the pack of wolves would have been all over it.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I love him to bits but he needs to wind his neck in, it just isnt helping at all. Had that been a LIV guy saying similar about the PGA the pack of wolves would have been all over it.

I'm gonna get tickets for The Open just so I can go along and Boo him. :ROFLMAO:

Love him as a golfer but he's contradicting himself repeatedly - there's nothing 'mature' about him effeectively calling Gregg Norman out as a child.