LIV Golf

RRidges

Visit site
LIV statements and reality do not intersect. The line about the team element being the innovation that had captured the imagination of golf fans, took the biscuit. They simply don't know what they are talking about. We do presume Greg knows something about golf. But he must be the only one. Any one else must have come from 10 pin bowling, pop music, or wedding planning. It certainly wasn't golf.
I suspect there'll be announcements to com wrt teams/franchises next season. Until then, I suspect the approach is that if you keep saying the same thing often enough, more folk will believe it! You just need to look at our own news, lobbying and advertising industries to see how that actually works.
Great to see Stenson playing well and that 3-wood is legendary!
A vast improvement on previous efforts wrt commentary. Feherty has slowed it all down nicely - a great acquisition.
I totally agree re the team aspect. It's rubbish, still over-pushed, and the wrong thing for LIV to push imo. I'd bet most on here wouldn't even know how the team scoring works! I can live, just, with the hype of 'community' aspects being pushed. That's no different to what happens at 'normal' tournaments, but PR is an obvious LIV strength. Not many spectators visible. Will see how that changes over the weekend.
Pleased it's on a 'free to view' medium. Again, a likely 'positive' resulting from the inability to arrange broadcast contract(s).

Last edited:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Who is “pro PGA Tour” ?‍♂️

Why is it always “anti and pro”

It’s prob the biggest talking point in golf right now and people are talking about it
I think it’s the amount of time people are spending talking about it.
Surely there’s more to life to pass the time of day ?‍♂️
Just don’t watch it,put your phone down & spend time with your family ?‍♂️?‍♂️

RRidges

Visit site
I don't understand why all the people who are
anti LIV Tour pro PGA Tour are posting on this thread yet never hear a peep out of them on the Professional golf thread.

Weird
Maybe because they (we) are happy with PGA Tour/DPWT and don't feel the need to 'comment' in that thread.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
No. They are still the best. Just that particular owgr definition has been rendered flawed, and no longer discerns the worlds best golfer.

These LIV players are mostly falling down the OWGR rankings, some rather rapidly, and will continue to do so if they only play in exhibition events with a few past-it players and a bunch of unknowns. The fact Stenson is leading after the first round speaks volumes about the quality of field. I see Jediah is also playing pretty consistent golf.

I wonder if there will come a time when some of these professionals become embarrassed by scoring well over par and earning several years salary for an average person for doing so. Have they no professional pride?

If LIV want other rankings, they are free to set up their own, just as boxing did, so we had up to 4 world heavyweight champions. Maybe one which combines the size of their initial contract with a multiplier for how laughable they're justification for defecting?

Swango1980

Visit site
For LIV players, what is their incentive to compete for wins? To win a boat load of cash. If that is what purely motivates them to play well in those LIV events, fair enough. However, if you have already been given tens of millions, if not hundreds, they might be forgiven for not sweating blood to refine their games to be in top top shape for each event. If I won the lottery, I'd probably be a bit more relaxed in my day job (or just quit entirely).

What is the motivation of players on the other tours? For most it is to earn enough money to have a comfortable life, and keep their playing privileges. For all it is to get as high up the rankings as possible, as that opens many doors, or keeps them open. For some it is to try and win the most prestigious events and become part of history. And, if truly successful, then they will benefit from the prize money, and added sponsorship possibly.

So, you'd be forgiven in concluding that normal tour players will work much harder than LIV players, in general, for the sake of their careers. If players on LIV are outcast for long enough, it would be easy to see many of them become almost irrelevant to other golfers. And not just the older LIV guys. It would be interesting to fast forward a year or 2, see where we are. Is LIV still going strong, or does it become apparent fans just can't get enthusiastic about it (barring Mel Smooth) and it fizzle out. How do players like Bryson and Brooks compare against the best players on PGA at that point?

D

Deleted member 21445

.The fact Stenson is leading after the first round speaks volumes about the quality of field.

Now come on the guy shot 64 -7 round a tough golf course with very tricky green complexes if you got out of position and is only joint leader with Patrick Reed.

Oither notables
Dustin Johnson is - 4 and Brooks Koepka is - 3
Westwood - 2
Garcia and Wolff - 1
Bryson is Level
And pretty much unknown over here Phachara Khongwatmai shot -5, a great round of golf

I think that actually speaks volumes about the field.

Put tour allegiances to one side and just recognise great golf.
Henrik absolutely put on a display of golf last night knocking the pin out all the way round and could have been 62 and that's fantastic golf whether it's on the PGA, DP or Liv Tour and deserves to be leading.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I wonder if there will come a time when some of these professionals become embarrassed by scoring well over par and earning several years salary for an average person for doing so. Have they no professional pride?
Just follow Leftie's progress then!
On the other hand, Stenson seems to have found 'freedom' from it. A stunning round by him. I hope he keeps it going.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I’d agree with Phil on the age thing, and with all due respect, I feel the views held on this forum support his view.

I found myself watching on my phone yesterday, sat in the bath, doing some washing up, even a little while walking the dogs. Not sure if YouTube is the long term broadcast solution for LIV, but it certainly looks like they want to stream it, add free, which if true, is great news.
7E90CCE2-743C-406E-8EB0-335FD5AE3424.jpeg

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’d agree with Phil on the age thing, and with all due respect, I feel the views held on this forum support his view.

I found myself watching on my phone yesterday, sat in the bath, doing some washing up, even a little while walking the dogs. Not sure if YouTube is the long term broadcast solution for LIV, but it certainly looks like they want to stream it, add free, which if true, is great news.
View attachment 43643

What a hypocrite. He says that golf has been struggling over the past 30 years, which is complete rubbish. Golf has boomed over that time. There was that guy, Lion, Panther, whatsisname who seemed to make it popular.

And what is that complete bollox about moving golf through the world. I don't know if Phil (or the person from LIV Golf who drafted his piece) has heard the news, but golf started and continued outside the US. There has been plenty of world golf around for a while, but for a long while, many American players resented Johnny Foreigner coming over and taking their dollars, and many hated going places where they didn't have all the familiar Americanisms, but now they are global explorers? I guess a lot of dollars overcomes insular nationalism.

And all the 'independent contractors' who can pick and choose where and when they play is now giving up a schedule and appearing where you are told to?

Phil may think his special sort of shiny-shirted, middle aged corpulent athleticism may attract young viewers, but he should know they are rather fickle, so he needs a better plan, and Bubba, Stenson, etc aren't it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now come on the guy shot 64 -7 round a tough golf course with very tricky green complexes if you got out of position and is only joint leader with Patrick Reed.

Oither notables
Westwood - 2
Garcia and Wolff - 1
Bryson is Level
And pretty much unknown over here Phachara Khongwatmai shot -5, a great round of golf

Henrik absolutely put on a display of golf last night knocking the pin out all the way round and could have been 62 and that's fantastic golf whether it's on the PGA, DP or Liv Tour and deserves to be leading.

Nice to see somebody discussing the golf

I tuned in last night was great to see Stenson play well

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Nice to see somebody discussing the golf

I tuned in last night was great to see Stenson play well

There was some great golf played, and the course isn't easy, was it Ortiz who had an uphill shot into a green, looked about 100 yards out of the rough, absolutely gave it everything to chop it out and still came up short. All the courses have been set up long and challenging so far - and a few of the top players at Bedminster were mixing it up at The Open - they are quality golfers.

D

Deleted member 15344

View attachment 43643

In regards the streaming will that not come with a subscription charge ? So it then no longer becomes free

As for Phil Mickleson- he should have just stopped at being given a ton of money - everything after that is self justification, im sure will all remember his rant earlier in the year

What is the “tried and struggled” bit about ?‍♂️

He appeared to have no issues with the PIP money he was given

Oither notables
Westwood - 2
Garcia and Wolff - 1
Bryson is Level

Looks like a great score from Stenson , interesting to see if it’s a new lease of life or just a small boost

Some of the players are high quality golfers and they are going to produce good golf

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Oither notables
Westwood - 2
Garcia and Wolff - 1
Bryson is Level

When did Stenson last lead a big event?

Either he has been inspired by this new opportunity to grow the game/insert legitimising excuse of choice, or it is an easier field and course than the PGA Tour usually has.

Stenson's lowest round this season on the PGA Tour is a 68, his stroke average is 71.4 and out of 11 events (including The Open and Scottish Open), he has missed 6 cuts and has a best finish of T9 in the Zurich pairs event, for 205th on the FedEx Cup ranking.

I know which reason I suspect.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's not a good field. High profile recognised names whose hay day is 10 years ago do not a good field make. They make a nostalgia tour.
The key metric is how many players from the world top 40 are there ? Reed, Bryson, DJ, Koepka, Kokrak ? You cannot claim world level golf if that is the height of your offering.

Edit: not that there is anything wrong with going to watch golden oldies play an exhibition tournament. That has its place too. But its not High level elite golf.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When did Stenson last lead a big event?

Either he has been inspired by this new opportunity to grow the game/insert legitimising excuse of choice, or it is an easier field and course than the PGA Tour usually has.

Stenson's lowest round this season on the PGA Tour is a 68, his stroke average is 71.4 and out of 11 events (including The Open and Scottish Open), he has missed 6 cuts and has a best finish of T9 in the Zurich pairs event, for 205th on the FedEx Cup ranking.

I know which reason I suspect.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

D

Deleted member 3432

It's not a good field. High profile recognised names whose hay day is 10 years ago do not a good field make. They make a nostalgia tour.
The key metric is how many players from the world top 40 are there ? Reed, Bryson, DJ, Koepka, Kokrak ? You cannot claim world level golf if that is the height of your offering.

Edit: not that there is anything wrong with going to watch golden oldies play an exhibition tournament. That has its place too. But its not High level elite golf.

If you want to see a poor field look at the Hero Open on the DP World Tour.

Sponsors will want better than this, I really fear for the future of this Tour.

Our top players are too busy chasing $$$$$$$ on PGA Tour.