LIV Golf

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That golf HAS to change is nothing but your opinion. I don’t necessarily agree, and in particular not by the help from LIV.
So you're happy that it continues, at least in Europe, unchanged - primarily supported by a regime with an equally poor attitude to human rights, such as to the P&O workers its' subordinate company illegally terminated?
FWIW, it doesn't seem right for the PGA to call its players 'independent contractors', then prevent them from playing elsewhere, or to punish them - supposedly 'for life' - if they do so. Seems rather monopolisistic to me!

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
The concept of the LIV series is new, and it will offer a different experience to how people view golf, making it easier and more exciting to watch.
Can you explain to me how that doesn’t potentially grow the game?

It would be helpful if you could call out the key things that make the series really appealing to you? Would help me understand how this could be a good idea.

I’m struggling to see how it’s different enough from what exists already.
thanks.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
FWIW, it doesn't seem right for the PGA to call its players 'independent contractors', then prevent them from playing elsewhere, or to punish them - supposedly 'for life' - if they do so. Seems rather monopolisistic to me!

Was it the PGA or Norman that first suggested that players were "independent contractors"? If they are independent contractors that have signed up to only play on the PGA tour and not on any competing tours then they can't play in the LIV. If they are independent contractors that are allowed to play on other tours then does the PGA tour have to actively ban them or can they simply stop inviting the independent contractors to play in their events? Could the PGA tour make it clear that if as an independent contractor you choose to play on the LIV then you will not be invited to take part in the US Open or US PGA? And possibly also come to some kind of agreement with Augusta and the R&A to do the same for the Masters and Open?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
ok but what does that mean? Stating you have a different opinion is fine, explaining it is even better ?‍♂️

Have you watched the Norman interview mate, I've watched what I thought was most of it, and there's no part where, when asked about Kashogi, Norman says "we all make mistakes"

He does say "It's absolutely reprehensible what happened with Kashogi"

But the MSM haven't been reporting that, they've been twisting his words.,and clearly, people are taking that as gospel

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
What narrative are you falling for?

I think I've taken a broad view.
Westwood, Sanibal Investments, Performance 54, Garcia and the way he was hung out at the weekend, the Norman interview.

And of course the msm. Sky, the media aligned with the PGA, etc.

The concept of the LIV has legs, but the "establishment" re doing ther utmost to kick those legs from under it imho.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Was it the PGA or Norman that first suggested that players were "independent contractors"? If they are independent contractors that have signed up to only play on the PGA tour and not on any competing tours then they can't play in the LIV. If they are independent contractors that are allowed to play on other tours then does the PGA tour have to actively ban them or can they simply stop inviting the independent contractors to play in their events? Could the PGA tour make it clear that if as an independent contractor you choose to play on the LIV then you will not be invited to take part in the US Open or US PGA? And possibly also come to some kind of agreement with Augusta and the R&A to do the same for the Masters and Open?
I believe it was the PGA and unrelated to LIV.
The rest comes down to their contractual arrangements. But it doesn't really seem that they are 'truly' independent contractors if they have to seek permission to play elsewhere. And I believe the term 'entitled' has been bandied around, not 'invited', which is more a Masters term.
And as th PGA Tour does not actually run either the US Open (run by USA)or US PGA (unsurprisingly run by US PGA) they don't specifcally have that say!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ikebra...the-pga-handicap-its-golfers/?sh=775c2b2e784c

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
Have you watched the Norman interview mate, I've watched what I thought was most of it, and there's no part where, when asked about Kashogi, Norman says "we all make mistakes"

He does say "It's absolutely reprehensible what happened with Kashogi"

But the MSM haven't been reporting that, they've been twisting his words.,and clearly, people are taking that as gospel

Whoa. I’m not going into the human rights issues now.
I just was interested to know what you thought was so innovative and exciting about the LIV series.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I just was interested to know what you thought was so innovative and exciting about the LIV series.

I got bored reading half way through their website.

Something about a Draft, something about teams and 54 holes. More cash for less Play? I'm sure I'll watch on tv depending on who is playing.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Fair enough, quite a few posters commenting about "making mistakes" and "chopping up journalists". I was referring to those kind of comments in my earlier reply about the msm narrative which you quoted.

So to address your point. 54 holes, with shotgun starts, team camardarie - I suspect we will see a more personal side to the players, playing under less intensity to be the winner of tournament.

The easy comparison is to compare it to playing in the monthly medal at your own club, to playing a texas scramble.

One is serious, the other is serious but fun.

Swango1980

Visit site
Fair enough, quite a few posters commenting about "making mistakes" and "chopping up journalists". I was referring to those kind of comments in my earlier reply about the msm narrative which you quoted.

So to address your point. 54 holes, with shotgun starts, team camardarie - I suspect we will see a more personal side to the players, playing under less intensity to be the winner of tournament.

The easy comparison is to compare it to playing in the monthly medal at your own club, to playing a texas scramble.

One is serious, the other is serious but fun.
Might be jolly for them. But I wouldn't want to watch a jolly Texas Scramble or something similar. I quite like watching sport when it is competitive, and a lot riding on the players. Watch them under pressure.

Also, surely the prize money on offer puts more pressure on winning, not less? If players are doing it for the money, which presumably they are.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
yet still you cant actually articulate what they are actually bringing to golf that is different, innovative, exciting and various other adjectives youve used. everyone else is wrong and you are right in defending the liv series and its saudi owners

rather than pointing us all to look into it more why not try and share your wisdom?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
It would be helpful if you could call out the key things that make the series really appealing to you? Would help me understand how this could be a good idea.

I’m struggling to see how it’s different enough from what exists already.
thanks.
I was thinking about this the other day, I actually quite like how golf is currently - but I acknowledge I'm not a youngster any more. I probably won't like what they are doing.
One thing I did think was when I've been to tournaments in the past, as the last groups come in the crowds that were all over the course combine onto those last few holes making spectating tricky. The shotgun will potentially change this, no idea if for the better. It may also suit those who want to watch golf for a few hours, and then watch a band or something.
I guess I'm trying to keep an open-ish mind for a bit.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was thinking about this the other day, I actually quite like how golf is currently - but I acknowledge I'm not a youngster any more. I probably won't like what they are doing.
One thing I did think was when I've been to tournaments in the past, as the last groups come in the crowds that were all over the course combine onto those last few holes making spectating tricky. The shotgun will potentially change this, no idea if for the better. It may also suit those who want to watch golf for a few hours, and then watch a band or something.
I guess I'm trying to keep an open-ish mind for a bit.

the thing is they arent actually doing anything that different are they?. all they have to do is look at club golf to see all the different comp options that they could pursue, mix the mens and womens games etc but thy are just recreating the same wheel. why not:

set up a whole course as a risk reward course, 6 par 5s, 6 short par 4s and 6 par 3s
play some mixed formats with 6 holes of 4somes, 6 of greensomes and 6 better ball
play a mixed strokeplay/matchplay format where day 1 the top 16 qualify then they play matchplay for the rest
change the max number of clubs allowed to make it suit shot makers more