LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 1147

The concept of the LIV series is new, and it will offer a different experience to how people view golf, making it easier and more exciting to watch.
Can you explain to me how that doesn’t potentially grow the game?
How will it?

D

Deleted member 25172

The concept of the LIV series is new, and it will offer a different experience to how people view golf, making it easier and more exciting to watch.
Can you explain to me how that doesn’t potentially grow the game?

You’re moving the goalposts as you go along. Will it grow the game? Maybe, maybe not. You don’t know, I don’t know. But that wasn’t the starting point of this. What will happen is a separate thing to what the purpose of it is. You take their word for it that the reason for this new series coming about is to “grow the game”. That’s somewhat, naive, shall we say - me thinks.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You’re moving the goalposts as you go along. Will it grow the game? Maybe, maybe not. You don’t know, I don’t know. But that wasn’t the starting point of this. What will happen is a separate thing to what the purpose of it is. You take their word for it that the reason for this new series coming about is to “grow the game”. That’s somewhat, naive, shall we say - me thinks.

Nothing naive about it.

Can you explain to me how a new format of golf that will appeal to more people doesn’t potentially grow the game?

D

Deleted member 25172

Nothing naive about it.

Can you explain to me how a new format of golf that will appeal to more people doesn’t potentially grow the game?

It might do, it may not. As I said in last my reply to you already. But that wasn’t the question from how this discussion started. It was the purpose of why it’s starting.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It might do, it may not. As I said in last my reply to you already. But that wasn’t the question from how this discussion started. It was the purpose of why it’s starting.
Do you know why it’s starting?
The common view is sportswashing, and personally I’ve no reason to disbelieve that.
It doesn’t change the fact that golf needs to change, and move forwards - and the LIV series is a great opportunity to do that.
If I was in the uk in June, I’d absolutely be going down the M1 to check it out.

D

Deleted member 25172

Do you know why it’s starting?
The common view is sportswashing, and personally I’ve no reason to disbelieve that.
It doesn’t change the fact that golf needs to change, and move forwards - and the LIV series is a great opportunity to do that.
If I was in the uk in June, I’d absolutely be going down the M1 to check it out.

Do I know? No, I don’t. I can make a fairly educated guess I believe, but none of that would include an actual interest in “growing the game”. To get a wider acceptance for Saudi Arabia by using the worlds best golfers as poster boys for LIV, and in the end become the number 1 golf tour on the planet would be my guess.

That golf HAS to change is nothing but your opinion. I don’t necessarily agree, and in particular not by the help from LIV.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Wonder what the teams will be … the team event on the PGA tour is a bit crap as it’s just normally 2 randoms playing with each other

Team golf can be great but I need something to root for

AussieKB

Visit site
What is wrong with having more Golf Tournaments being played at the same time ?
PGA members then can earn more money which as a Union is a good thing.

What are they afraid about ? and what happens when the lawyers get involved ?
Will the PGA suspend Phil and stop him defending his PGA title, would look pretty silly and petty.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Do I know? No, I don’t. I can make a fairly educated guess I believe, but none of that would include an actual interest in “growing the game”. To get a wider acceptance for Saudi Arabia by using the worlds best golfers as poster boys for LIV, and in the end become the number 1 golf tour on the planet would be my guess.

That golf HAS to change is nothing but your opinion. I don’t necessarily agree, and in particular not by the help from LIV.
Of course, it’s purely my opinion but golf doesn’t appeal
What is wrong with having more Golf Tournaments being played at the same time ?
PGA members then can earn more money which as a Union is a good thing.

What are they afraid about ? and what happens when the lawyers get involved ?
Will the PGA suspend Phil and stop him defending his PGA title, would look pretty silly and petty.

Exactly, the LIV tour could easily run in conjunction with the other tours, but the PGA have decided they want all the slices of the pie, the DP tour pretty much following their lead.

Mind you, it’s representative of the ‘change is bad’ outdated attitudes that resonate in golf.

Swango1980

Visit site
Wonder what the teams will be … the team event on the PGA tour is a bit crap as it’s just normally 2 randoms playing with each other

Team golf can be great but I need something to root for
Agreed. You've got to have a sense of attachment for a team. Whether you support a club or country. It is why the Ryder Cup works so well, as it is a genuinely engrossing team format of golf where we all know who we support.

Even at club level, I'm sure we'd all support our own club doing well in team events to some degree or another. Whereas, we couldn't care less what "team" wins the summer pairs (outside the pair we are actually in), as it is just a bunch of random pairs, even if a few have played together for years.

So, the last events I ever think of watching are the pair events on the PGA Tour (or any Tour). They are just gimmicky and I really have no care in the world who wins. Even if you have a favourite golfer playing, their performance is diluted by the fact they are playing with someone else, who may be dragging them down or carrying them.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Of course, it’s purely my opinion but golf doesn’t appeal

Exactly, the LIV tour could easily run in conjunction with the other tours, but the PGA have decided they want all the slices of the pie, the DP tour pretty much following their lead.

Mind you, it’s representative of the ‘change is bad’ outdated attitudes that resonate in golf.

It could have but it's a two way street also ... from what i've heard is that there was no real communication between the LIV tour and PGA tour tbf the whole process sound like it's been an absolute mess

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It could have but it's a two way street also ... from what i've heard is that there was no real communication between the LIV tour and PGA tour tbf the whole process sound like it's been an absolute mess
Well Gregg Norman is on record as saying he doesn’t want to compete with the other tours, clearly, they don’t feel the same way.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Well Gregg Norman is on record as saying he doesn’t want to compete with the other tours, clearly, they don’t feel the same way.

he certainly hasn't shown an cooperation to get the two tours to work in harmony either

The whole LIV tour has been an absolute fiasco of course the PGA Tour aren't just going to release the best players at their whim Norman went about it completely the wrong way and now he's crying that he's pissed them all off

peld

Visit site
As has been said, sadly, the ET is very very much the poor mans tour now, and unless you are a young guy just starting off, I can see why you'd want to go and play the LIV tour for some decent money

Golfnut1957

Visit site
If this forum is anything to go by, the Saudi Super League has generated a huge amount of interest.
It is probably the hottest topic in golf at the moment. Sky are all over it, it is being covered by the BBC, GolfWRX have a 41 page thread, and it is constantly top of the forum here. Which is all very strange for a concept for which I can buy expensive tickets to watch I know not whom yet. Even stranger is the fact that at this moment in time it doesn't look as if I will be able to watch it on TV. Looking on their site there is very little information about anything other than tickets.

So we can discuss it to our hearts content, but I doubt many of us will be watching, whether we want to or not.