LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

It's Official the DPWT is now one step below the Korn Ferry Tour, will lose up to top 10 players every year to the PGA.

It’s not at all is it

The ET will still continue to be the tour where all the Europeans ( not in the college system ) learn their game - it’s not new that the top Europeans get Tour Cards - this now could attract better players to the ET as well

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/61989836

Interesting piece with Westwood on the Ryder Cup here. Telling that he’s calling it the European tour rather than towing the line and calling it the dp world tour, bit of annoyance I’d say.

Have to be honest, if the LIV players did get picked for the RC I’m not sure I could cheer them on. It’s why I struggle to support England in the football, most of the players are rivals every week and I can’t switch that off!

I suspect that they've got no chance of selection in 2023 due to the influence of the likes of Rahm and McIlroy. That much touted European morale would be shattered by the inclusion of the Bonesaw Brigade.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/61989836

Interesting piece with Westwood on the Ryder Cup here. Telling that he’s calling it the European tour rather than towing the line and calling it the dp world tour, bit of annoyance I’d say.

Have to be honest, if the LIV players did get picked for the RC I’m not sure I could cheer them on. It’s why I struggle to support England in the football, most of the players are rivals every week and I can’t switch that off!

I don't get that. They're still the guys that have done a lot for representing British/ European golf for the last 20 years or so. They've taken a pay day, loads of sportsmen/ businessmen have and they will continue to do so.

That being said, they might not make many more teams anyway - Captaincy however....

The younger guys might be somewhat of a loss in playing terms though - Horsfield being one

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Greg Norman sticking to the man here ?

Just out of interest, wonder how the demographics of support for LIV/age bear out on this forum?
I'm 51 myself so under the 55 years that seems to be the pivot point in the Harris Poll that has been examined in the article.

Of course if that continues, time is on the side of LIV. ?

I’m in my early 40s, most of my friends are the same or late 30s. None of us are in support of 54. Neither are any of the younger lads at work that I’ve spoken to about it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Greg Norman sticking to the man here ?

Just out of interest, wonder how the demographics of support for LIV/age bear out on this forum?
I'm 51 myself so under the 55 years that seems to be the pivot point in the Harris Poll that has been examined in the article.

Of course if that continues, time is on the side of LIV. ?

Unfortunately for LIV Tour, the same young demographic are also more fickle and move on to the next new shiny thing quite quickly.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
They are all absolutely spineless. Koepka barely managing a sentence aside from “opinions change and my opinion changed and that’s because opinions can change and mine changed so my opinion changed”

It is like this mystery tour where none of them can explain why they went over. Or they are in denial with themselves about the reason.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
At least he's consistent about something, though that'll likely change

As for the 'team' aspect promoted as a major innovation...it's just an irrelevant gimmick that's there purely to 'differentiate' LIV from other tours. Ryder/Palmer Cups styles are proper team events as Davis/BJK Cups are in Tennis. LIV teams are an irrelevant adjunct that might bond LIV members slightly, but will be of little, if any, interest to the watching public. Tournament Golf is an individual comp/test, just as tournament Tennis is.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
At least he's consistent about something, though that'll likely change

As for the 'team' aspect promoted as a major innovation...it's just an irrelevant gimmick that's there purely to 'differentiate' LIV from other tours. Ryder/Palmer Cups styles are proper team events as Davis/BJK Cups are in Tennis. LIV teams are an irrelevant adjunct that might bond LIV members slightly, but will be of little, if any, interest to the watching public. Tournament Golf is an individual comp/test, just as tournament Tennis is.

Id certainly try a bit harder on Saturday if there was a chance of getting a 700k payout despite a bad first 2 days.... :ROFLMAO:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unfortunately for LIV Tour, the same young demographic are also more fickle and move on to the next new shiny thing quite quickly.
And I'd bet they didn't factor in the natural openness to change that 'the yoof' have vs the 'natural' aversion to change of the over 55s. Do that and they'd likely get significantly different results!

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Id certainly try a bit harder on Saturday if there was a chance of getting a 700k payout despite a bad first 2 days.... :ROFLMAO:
Maybe if it was 'real' money! :rolleyes: It would also pay to put some sort of effort in on Saturday anyway, as the 'payment' increases, though at Centurions $120k for 48th and $2k per place above, 'so what'!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Maybe if it was 'real' money! :rolleyes: It would also pay to put some sort of effort in on Saturday anyway, as the 'payment' increases, though at Centurions $120k for 48th and $2k per place above, 'so what'!

I dont doubt that its real money.. They wouldnt be turning up in Portland if it wasnt

D

Deleted member 21445

Some interesting insights from Steve Elkington on the whole Liv Golf proposal to players and caddies.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't get that. They're still the guys that have done a lot for representing British/ European golf for the last 20 years or so. They've taken a pay day, loads of sportsmen/ businessmen have and they will continue to do so.

That being said, they might not make many more teams anyway - Captaincy however....

The younger guys might be somewhat of a loss in playing terms though - Horsfield being one

Hopefully Stenson isn’t put in a position of having to pick/not pick them. Seems that he’s besties with Poulter, there might be some expectation for him to be an assistant or whatever they call them.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/i...liv-golf-series-gets-set-first-event-portland

Lee Westwood crying about not being able to play in the Ryder Cup does make me laugh. Nobody forced you to accept money, bro. If it isn’t the consequences of your own completely immoral actions and decisions…

Is Westood mentioned in that article, have you posted the correct one?
I do see a biased, poorly written article though with plenty of emotional blackmail thrown in for good measure.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Is Westood mentioned in that article, have you posted the correct one?
I do see a biased, poorly written article though with plenty of emotional blackmail thrown in for good measure.

The press conference where Garcia,Westwood, and Kaymer are asked about the Ryder Cup is here, nobody crying about anything, just pointing out how ridiculously petty the existing tours are behaving in the face of something new.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Indeed. Korn Ferry Tour gets 30 cards for the PGA each year, as against 10 for the DPWT.
I suspect Pelley will be rewarded with a position on the PGA Tour in the not too distant future for his “efforts” while running the DPWT.
Good morning, or, with the 8/9 hour time difference, should I say good evening.
That's an additional 10 cards - on top of those already exempt.
I'd be more concerned that TPGAT has upped its stake in DPWT to 40%. Hopefully, that's simply to make it a more attractive tour for players to aspire to.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
Ask Mel Smooth! ;)
FWIW. One of the orgs they seem to 'be in bed with' is Frimley based Performance 54 a 'modern marketing and consultancy group, with extensive experience within the golf and tourism sectors' that has been involved with Saudi events.

I can’t tell if your comments are tongue in cheek, but LIV = 54 in Roman numerals so the connection is very concrete.