Limiting the number of shots received in Matchplay

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the finalists in our club matchplay plays off 28, in the semi final she played a girl off 8 and she therefore received 20 shots.

There was a discussion yesterday over whether there should be a restriction in future to prevent someone receiving more than 1 shot a hole.
Most of those involved thought this would be a good idea but I strongly disagreed saying it is not within the spirit of the game and that handicapping is there for a purpose, we already have a handicap limit of 30 for anyone wanting to enter the knockout.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For a select number of high reputation competitons I can see limiting or similar mechanisms as a good thing, to encourage the best players into them.

It however should be considered if it will benefit the club, its members and competition or not.

In your competitons situation it might cause more to not enter than encourage to enter so probably not right for it.

It should be considered but not implemented without full consideration of its impact on the members and the competition.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No for me, if you already have a handicap limit for entering the comp then thats more than enough imo

We actually have 2 singles comps in the summer at ours, one open to everyone, the other open to 12 handicap and below, plenty enter both albeit some only entered the capped handicap one

She wont be the first or the last person to give 2 shots on a hole, the other girl clearly needs them!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Here it is normally played with 3/4 of the shot difference, so she would have received 15 shots. I don't think that's fair towards the higher handicapper, but it keeps the experienced players from bohooing too much.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the finalists in our club matchplay plays off 28, in the semi final she played a girl off 8 and she therefore received 20 shots.

There was a discussion yesterday over whether there should be a restriction in future to prevent someone receiving more than 1 shot a hole.
Most of those involved thought this would be a good idea but I strongly disagreed saying it is not within the spirit of the game and that handicapping is there for a purpose, we already have a handicap limit of 30 for anyone wanting to enter the knockout.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

the 28 h/cap won and low player not happy.... :D

DCB

Visit site
If the higher player is having a very good run, then surely the handicap committee will be watching her scores and even considering a General Play adjustment as per Clause 23.7

The format for Singles Matchplay allows for full difference, so, that's what it should be.

PS we've all been beaten by the high handicap player at some time or other, that's what happens in golf. You just have to play better next time :D

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Handicaps are there for a reason. If you cut the amount received then you are handing comps to low h/c only. Fine but then don't moan if comps are lacking entrants. If you want scratch only comps, fine, same again. Either have h/c and give them in full or have scratch comps. Moaning low handicappers, grumble grumble, be pleased you are good at the game.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a high hc. I'd be embarrassed to get 2 shots off someone.

up at trump, I had an 8 for 1. Don't think that's right either 😩

U

User62651

I was told at an CONGU function that full handicap difference in matchplay statistically results in 55% win for the lower handicap player. Before getting that figure I was sceptical that it was fair as 3/4 difference used to be more common when I were a lad and as a low capper was on the recieving end of some hidings from high hcap players.
A long as players have a fair handicap the system is ok. Some days a 28 capper will play to 18, some days to 40, nature of a high handicap is inconsistency so some days they'll be great others awful, if you're the low capper opponent and the 28 capper has a good day you might get hammered, but that's the rules and imo are fair.
The adjusted stableford scoring used in handicap setting should iron out how good a player is but a minimum of 3 cards submitted per year is too low to gauge ability correctly imo, think you need double that at least.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No for me, if you already have a handicap limit for entering the comp then thats more than enough imo

We actually have 2 singles comps in the summer at ours, one open to everyone, the other open to 12 handicap and below, plenty enter both albeit some only entered the capped handicap one

She wont be the first or the last person to give 2 shots on a hole, the other girl clearly needs them!

The sensible solution imo

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our KO have a maximum of 18 shots given

Can I ask why you came to that decision LP?

Doesn't sit comfortably with me tbh, if someone has a handicap that should be used in all handicap comps.

I played a guy giving 21 shots in ours this year, I lost as I played to handicap and he played better, that's the nature of the comp and good luck to him.

Don't like the artificial (and arbitrary) limit but just my view I guess.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Handicaps are there for a reason. If you cut the amount received then you are handing comps to low h/c only. Fine but then don't moan if comps are lacking entrants. If you want scratch only comps, fine, same again. Either have h/c and give them in full or have scratch comps. Moaning low handicappers, grumble grumble, be pleased you are good at the game.
LT, we are not all moany grumbling low h/cappers (honestly). I enjoy the challenge of giving a pile of strokes away, and yes sometimes you get your rear end felt by the higher person having a good run, but that's the challenge for me. Bring it on i say, it's 4 hrs away from work and hopefully the company is good.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Given that it's an 'honest' handicap, then full handicap - irrespective of the difference - is what it should be imo!

I've given 20 shots a couple of times - winning both. The attitude to take is that if they are that high, then simply by playing conservatively, the high-capper's likely blow-outs will give far more wins for me than the occasional holes where they score well and win! So the low-capper probably had too many negative thoughts about how they needed to play!

If they REALLY want to avoid giving more than a shot a hole, then limit the 'premium' comp to 18 and below. And have a 'secondary' (Division 2?) comp for 19 and above - at entry closure date!

Matchplay comps should also have a requirement that a certain number of Medals (at least 5?) have been played during the past 6 months - which is slightly more than the 'Competition' handicap requirement. This won't actually stop sandbaggers, but does get the message across that such championships are really for 'active and honest' players!

D

Deleted member 15344

Can I ask why you came to that decision LP?

Doesn't sit comfortably with me tbh, if someone has a handicap that should be used in all handicap comps.

I played a guy giving 21 shots in ours this year, I lost as I played to handicap and he played better, that's the nature of the comp and good luck to him.

Don't like the artificial (and arbitrary) limit but just my view I guess.

Rule was decided years ago I think and been that way since and can't recall anyone asking for it to be changed

I played a 26 HC this year and only gave him 18 and still beat me but it doesn't bother me either way and not heard any complaints about it

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rule was decided years ago I think and been that way since and can't recall anyone asking for it to be changed

I played a 26 HC this year and only gave him 18 and still beat me but it doesn't bother me either way and not heard any complaints about it

Ah right sorry I'd interpreted it as something that has been in place recently.

Doesn't really reconcile with the current theme of making golf open and accessible to all restricting handicaps but again, just my view I guess.

Always find it odd that 1 shot a hole is used or suggested as the limit (in matchplay) which expects a level of consistency in scoring by the high(er) handicapper that really is never observed in their score distribution.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ah right sorry I'd interpreted it as something that has been in place recently.

Doesn't really reconcile with the current theme of making golf open and accessible to all restricting handicaps but again, just my view I guess.

Always find it odd that 1 shot a hole is used or suggested as the limit (in matchplay) which expects a level of consistency in scoring by the high(er) handicapper that really is never observed in their score distribution.

I would be happy to extend it to full HC just haven't really given it a thought to be honest