Limiting the number of shots received in Matchplay

D

Deleted Member 1156

Fine if handicaps were based on more than a minimum of only 3 returns a year!

The number of cards returned per year is totally irrelevant, if people want to manipulate their handicap it doesn't matter if they return 3, 10 or 50 cards a year. They will still miss the odd simple tap in or duff a chip if in danger of getting cut.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
@delc

But do you really have the feeling there are that many bandits around? It might be different in Germany, but I have the feeling that there are more people who play worse than their handicap would suggest, not better. Especially among those who don't play many comps during the year. And do you really think having the occasional bandit justifies punishing all other high handicappers?

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am a mid handicap player and have given and received 9 on 10 shots and won and lost in both situations. Generally, if someone plays well, they win. The win by a higher handicapper just stands out a bit more because some expect more consistency by the low person.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The number of cards returned per year is totally irrelevant, if people want to manipulate their handicap it doesn't matter if they return 3, 10 or 50 cards a year. They will still miss the odd simple tap in or duff a chip if in danger of getting cut.

I believe that 99% of golfers are not bandits and want their handicaps to be as low as possible. As for the other 1%.......

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

My 3 worst scores in competitions over the last few years were 100, 97 and 96. My three best scores were 78, 78 and 79. If either of these were used to set my handicap, they would not be representative of my general standard of play. 😀

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a max 18 singles Matchplay and an over 18. Although in the doubles the most shots I single player can receive is 18 not sure this is right?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi, couldn’t find definitive answer on this.

In foursomes Is it half of combined handicap in full or the fractions?

IE we are in next round of a tournament and we have 16.5 + 16.2 vs 7.4 + 8.7 so are we 33-16 then halved = 8.5 so 9 shots

Or is 32.7 - 16.1 = 16.6 halved so 8.3 so 8 shots?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

IE we are in next round of a tournament and we have 16.5 + 16.2 vs 7.4 + 8.7 so are we 33-16 then halved = 8.5 so 9 shots

We have a chart for Greensome allowances , if you Google search Greensome handicap allowance chart.:thup:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I don't believe you ever use exact handicaps when calculating stroke allowances under CONGU.

The more common discussion for foursomes is whether you round any calculation of a pairs handicap before establishing the difference or not (and then potentially round again) or not, and the answer is that you simply establish 50% of the difference in combined playing handicaps and then round once (if necessary)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't believe you ever use exact handicaps when calculating stroke allowances under CONGU.

The more common discussion for foursomes is whether you round any calculation of a pairs handicap before establishing the difference or not (and then potentially round again) or not, and the answer is that you simply establish 50% of the difference in combined playing handicaps and then round once (if necessary)

ours are half combined Foursomes and 7/8ths in Greensomes, combined difference

D

Deleted member 15344

We have a chart for Greensome allowances , if you Google search Greensome handicap allowance chart.:thup:

Yep greensomes changed at the start of last season

The Handicap allocations is now 0.6 of the Lower HC and 0.4 of the Higher Handicap then combined

They removed 7/8ths two years ago