Let's tax pensioners

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely one age group can’t be responsible for another ones problems .
I am sixty and worked for everything I own.
Its policy makers and politicians who promise things they know can’t be delivered
that are the problem.
I was told I would get my state pension at 65 but they have renaiged on that.

Also giving 25 yr olds money may be ageist ( you never know these days) and may be challenged by every other age in the country.

Typical of this country charge young people to be educated then give them money to offset some of the debts.

All taxpayers cash of course!

No - of course they can't - but they can help sort it.

I am in a position where I was fortunate enough to get a good state and uni education for free; to live through a period where good stable jobs were relatively available; and where housing was affordable. And at the same time my parents - who chose to buy the best house they could afford (and that was not a lot) - not as an investment, but as a more stable and pleasant environment in which to bring up their children - found in their retirement that their home was worth more money than they could ever have conceived of. And so - as one of that very fortunate generation - I find myself benefitting from an inheritance that my parents never envisaged, planned or worked to provide me with.

What my parents hoped and worked for, for myself and my siblings, was not to hand over monetary wealth in an inheritance from the family home. What my parents worked for was simply to bring us up in a nice environment; enable us to get a good education; and to help us stand on our own two feet when we first set out on our own - as best they could. And for my parents there was a little bit of financial support - but most was support in kind.

And as a result of them succeeding with us - I have been able to get a career and a home. And I have most certainly not worked anything like as hard as my parents did to get to where I am today - once again with a house worth much more than I could ever envisage owning. I do not pretend that I deserve what I have today because I have slogged my backside off for it. I have been very, very fortunate. My wife and I have worked hard and have not had an extravagant lifestyle - though we have not actually given up that much - again that depends upon what you expect to have and my expectations stayed low. But I look to my 23 and 26yr olds - and they have a very much harder task and life ahead of them than I had at their age. Very much harder.

I can afford to help my children out financially and I am doing so and will. But unless those of their age from less fortunate backgrounds get similar support - and only the state can provide that - then the cycle and division of 'haves' and 'have nots' will be perpetuated - and that I think is unsustainable in the long run for a stable society.

So what are we gong to do about it?

Last edited:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
While everyone is taking about how the older generation had 'stable' jobs while the young ones dont. Lest not forget that this is not particularly a UK specific problem. The world has changed a lot in the past 30-40 years. It is a lot flatter and unforgiving. Young uns from Bolton are no longer competing against those from Birmingham or Brighton alone but also those from Baltimore, Bangalore and Beijing. In the coming years, Robotics, AI et al are going to make it even more weirder. In case you missed it, check out the Google AI bot make an appointment like a human being. More jobs are going to be lost as a result of machines in the coming years. You can argue that Driverless cars will take away jobs from young taxi drivers but make it easier for pensioners to get from home to hospital or golf course.
So will the young have a rage against the machines or are we going to tax machine/bots to pay for jobs that are displaced and hand that money to the young?

Taxation is only part of the solution (if it is a solution). Education is a bigger part and successive Govts have ensured that we rob schools & universities in the name of austerity & belt tightening. We are going out of our way to not prepare the young for the new world but putting sticky plaster on vote banks or embracing isolationism rather than globalisation
</rant> :sbox:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
While everyone is taking about how the older generation had 'stable' jobs while the young ones dont. Lest not forget that this is not particularly a UK specific problem. The world has changed a lot in the past 30-40 years. It is a lot flatter and unforgiving. Young uns from Bolton are no longer competing against those from Birmingham or Brighton alone but also those from Baltimore, Bangalore and Beijing. In the coming years, Robotics, AI et al are going to make it even more weirder. In case you missed it, check out the Google AI bot make an appointment like a human being. More jobs are going to be lost as a result of machines in the coming years. You can argue that Driverless cars will take away jobs from young taxi drivers but make it easier for pensioners to get from home to hospital or golf course.
So will the young have a rage against the machines or are we going to tax machine/bots to pay for jobs that are displaced and hand that money to the young?

Taxation is only part of the solution (if it is a solution). Education is a bigger part and successive Govts have ensured that we rob schools & universities in the name of austerity & belt tightening. We are going out of our way to not prepare the young for the new world but putting sticky plaster on vote banks or embracing isolationism rather than globalisation

Notwithstanding your observations on the global economy and IT-based workplace - we are led to believe that the young and unemployed needn't worry about jobs in the future as once we have slashed immigration post-Brexit there will be plenty of well-paid jobs available - apparently.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Notwithstanding your observations on the global economy and IT-based workplace - we are led to believe that the young and unemployed needn't worry about jobs in the future as once we have slashed immigration post-Brexit there will be plenty of well-paid jobs available - apparently.

Do you have any links showing immigration will be slashed and there'll be plenty of well paid jobs available, post-Brexit?

Thats not withstanding that unemployment is the best its been since 1984...

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

A few countries are looking at the idea of an universal payment to all every month to all to make up for the fact that there will be so few jobs around. Can't wait to see the outcry on golf forums when that one is introduced....

"Dear Daily Mail, I find the new payments disgusting, I've worked all my life for thrupence a week licking the roads clean and now people are getting paid for doing nowt apart from sitting around all day talking to their robot dog." ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Do you have any links showing immigration will be slashed and there'll be plenty of well paid jobs available, post-Brexit?

Thats not withstanding that unemployment is the best its been since 1984...

Oh I am sure that unemployment is the best it's been since 1984 - good time to leave the EU then.

And there are no links because it is in the future and we must wait for the promises of the Leave campaign to bear fruit - as immigration from the EU27 is slashed to 10s of thousands and to meet the expectations of many who voted to Leave - expectations that were set during the lead up to the referendum and that still remain.

Those same unemployed voters that I hear complain there is no work for them because of the Eastern Europeans (those who will no longer be taking all the jobs) - and taking the jobs at unrealistically low rates of pay that UK workers cannot afford to be employed on. And all will be well when the EU27 workers leave and jobs become available at higher rates of pay...or something like that.

I don't make this stuff up you know. It was the Leave campaigners who did and many voters believed them.

An exchange I heard - some lad complaining about pressure on housing and local services (schools, GPs etc) following a company creating 4000 new jobs in his area. His problem was that he reckoned most of the jobs were taken by non-UK nationals. His relief from Brexit was that once the EU27 nationals were gone the pressure on local services would be relieved and all would be good. What would make them go and what would happen to the jobs they'd leave rather escaped him.

But it was what he was told would happen and so I do not blame him.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A few countries are looking at the idea of an universal payment to all every month to all to make up for the fact that there will be so few jobs around. Can't wait to see the outcry on golf forums when that one is introduced....

"Dear Daily Mail, I find the new payments disgusting, I've worked all my life for thrupence a week licking the roads clean and now people are getting paid for doing nowt apart from sitting around all day talking to their robot dog." ;)

That'll be the Universal Basic Income - yup - that'll go down well.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I don't make this stuff up you know. It was the Leave campaigners who did and many voters believed them.

And was George Osbourne and David Cameron campaigners for Leave?

Remind me of the meltdown the UK economy was supposed to suffer IMMEDIATELY a Leave vote was registered. Remind me of the emergency budget that would happen, and the £4k+ loss everyone would suffer - even the Treasury said Osbourne was being a bit naughty with that one.

And this is why you get so much flak. Remain were equally guilty of lying but you only ever put one side of the case.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And was George Osbourne and David Cameron campaigners for Leave?

Remind me of the meltdown the UK economy was supposed to suffer IMMEDIATELY a Leave vote was registered. Remind me of the emergency budget that would happen, and the £4k+ loss everyone would suffer - even the Treasury said Osbourne was being a bit naughty with that one.

And this is why you get so much flak. Remain were equally guilty of lying but you only ever put one side of the case.

I do not care about the flak. Leave won - what Remain said does not now matter - what matters is what Leave promised.

And you cannot LIE about a forecast - you can get a forecast or prediction wrong - which is what can absolutely be laid at the door of Osborne and Cameron (with whom I have no truck). Leave LIED about known facts and aspects of the way the EU worked that would make some of the leave promises completely unachievable - as we are finding out day-by-day with such as the Customs Union and NI/EU border.

Everything in the economy will be impacted by Brexit. That is why it infects every discussion. I wish it didn't.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Whilst the idea today seems mental I can see a day where it will be needed with automation taking over a lot of jobs leaving more mouths to feed than jobs available

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Whilst the idea today seems mental I can see a day where it will be needed with automation taking over a lot of jobs leaving more mouths to feed than jobs available

Trials are already happening. http://www.wired.co.uk/article/finland-universal-basic-income-results-trial-cancelled

Both in countries that are were never in the EU, are still in the EU and those that may be leaving. Not that that makes a difference. No way does that matter. These trials have nothing to do with membership of the EU. Anyone can do them. To avoid a infraction I just want to make that clear.

Last edited:
U

User62651

Few of the older generation have been making comments about younger people having foreign holidays and buying stuff instead of saving for a deposit for a house, being extravagant in effect in their view. Thought it worth mentioning that a foreign holiday to resorts in Spain (Tenerife/Majorca etc) for example is arguably a good bit cheaper than a holiday of the same duration in the UK (which the older generation took back in the day before cheap foreign package hols took off).
Also white goods and furniture are relatively cheap nowadays, wasn't the case back in the day when tvs, cookers, washing machines were a much bigger investment relative to income I believe. Throwaway culture now as things are so cheap.
An awful lot of my parents generation have 3 or 4 foreign holidays a year, good pensions too. My father in law retired at 52 in 1994 with half his leaving salary paid on a monthly basis as a pension for life, that's on top of any state pension he gets now. I could only dream of that.