Bicycle number plates, insurance, tax etc

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a cyclists I obviously have a very strong view on this, but can we have a non-daily mail fact-based conversation about this? Now my 2p is that someone thought this would get the country talking so will be an excellent smoke screen for [Insert conspiracy theory here]

Just to set my stance, I have 3 bikes I ride regularly, we have 8 in the house in total. I also own two cars and pay my taxes.

Also to make a huge point 'Road tax' does not exist. the roads and infrastructure are paid for via general taxation, your 'car tax' is an emissions-based charge which goes into the general coffers of UK PLC.

My 2p. It's a joke, it's impossible to implement or police. Yes, there are a small number of cyclists who are door knobs and run red lights, the same goes for car drivers. The facts are, Cars (AKA careless drivers, distracted drivers, drunk drivers, speeding drivers) kill people. Generally, cyclists don't.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They generally don't kill people but they can, they can cause accidents that end up with deaths and they can also cause damage to pedestrians. I presume the call for this relates to accidents and incidents that have come about because of cyclist / pedestrian clashes. If that is the case, is insurance and the ability to identify the cyclist such a bad thing? If a motorist hit a cyclist, sadly this happens too often, then the cyclist may be able to get medical compensation, ongoing help etc via the motorists insurance. Does a pedestrian not deserve the same, or a motorist for that, if a cyclist causes serious injury?

Policing it, implementing it, would be tricky but not beyond the intelligence of people now, particularly in a digital age. Does any other country, I'm thinking of cycle heavy countries such as Holland, Italy, Germany, have a similar scheme?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would like to see where they put the identification numbers so they can be picked up by cameras etc so the cyclist can be reported to the police. Then factor in kids riding bikes on the roads, etc and it is totally unworkable.

The only real solution is to totally rip out our road system and start again with properly sized, and separated walkway, cycle ways and roads. Then ensure the correct users use each one. The main issue is the speed differences between users in the same space - separate them and you solve a lot of the problems.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Policing it, implementing it, would be tricky but not beyond the intelligence of people now, particularly in a digital age. Does any other country, I'm thinking of cycle heavy countries such as Holland, Italy, Germany, have a similar scheme?

The only country in the world which has a licensing/number plate system for bicycles??

North Korea..

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
There seems to be two distinct problems with cyclists. The first relates to those who cycle in towns and cities mainly to commute to and from work and those who ride in the countryside mainly for pleasure/exercise.

As I do not go into any large urban area unless I really have to, I do not come across the problem of those cyclists who apparently weave in and out of traffic, go through lights on red and cycle on pavements. I do however regularly come across the peloton of lycra clad cyclists on country/rural roads, who refuse to cycle single file and let large numbers of vehicles to queue behind them for ages. Since the new Highway Code review, drivers are now frightened to overtake unless they have enough room for a double decker bus to pass them. I have no objection to them using public roads, but I do feel they should show respect to other road users and cycle accordingly.

RichA

Visit site
Can't see it working properly.
As the policing of the roads by actual live cops in cars has largely disappeared in the last 10 years, the proper registration of cars and payment of road fund licences is mostly a tax on the law-abiding. It doesn't stop dangerous or uninsured drivers and criminals using cars largely unhindered.
Who exactly is likely to be chasing down and prosecuting unregistered pedal cycles when the police have insufficient resources to investigate burglaries.
It just looks like another tax on the law-abiding.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There seems to be two distinct problems with cyclists. The first relates to those who cycle in towns and cities mainly to commute to and from work and those who ride in the countryside mainly for pleasure/exercise.

As I do not go into any large urban area unless I really have to, I do not come across the problem of those cyclists who apparently weave in and out of traffic, go through lights on red and cycle on pavements. I do however regularly come across the peloton of lycra clad cyclists on country/rural roads, who refuse to cycle single file and let large numbers of vehicles to queue behind them for ages. Since the new Highway Code review, drivers are now frightened to overtake unless they have enough room for a double decker bus to pass them. I have no objection to them using public roads, but I do feel they should show respect to other road users and cycle accordingly.

As far as I am aware, there is no requirement to ride single file.

How much do they really hold you up? 30 seconds, a minute?

I’m far more frequently held up by slower moving vehicles than cyclists. And there are a lot of cyclists in these parts.

The problem is more often inpatient and incompetent drivers.

P.s. I’m not a cyclist.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do however regularly come across the peloton of lycra clad cyclists on country/rural roads, who refuse to cycle single file and let large numbers of vehicles to queue behind them for ages. Since the new Highway Code review, drivers are now frightened to overtake unless they have enough room for a double decker bus to pass them. I have no objection to them using public roads, but I do feel they should show respect to other road users and cycle accordingly.

OK, so this is me, I am one of these weekend lycra-clad people.

If it is not safe to overtake 2 cyclists riding alongside each other, it is not safe to overtake one. As you mention, new highway code guidance advised at least 1.5 meters to clear which is a minimum. The draft you get from (especially large vehicles) is pretty scary at times, especially when you get overtaken at speed.

What's the worst case for you driving your car, you get held up by a few minutes? Whats the worst case for a car close passing a cyclist?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

If it is not safe to overtake 2 cyclists riding alongside each other, it is not safe to overtake one. As you mention, new highway code guidance advised at least 1.5 meters to clear which is a minimum. The draft you get from (especially large vehicles) is pretty scary at times, especially when you get overtaken at speed.

What's the worst case for you driving your car, you get held up by a few minutes? Whats the worst case for a car close passing a cyclist?
Also, it is a lot quicker (and safer) to pass 10-20 cyclists in a group then the same amount strung out in a long line where you are exposed to the oncoming traffic for longer.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also, it is a lot quicker (and safer) to pass 10-20 cyclists in a group then the same amount strung out in a long line where you are exposed to the oncoming traffic for longer.
both.bmp

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Sure you have a good reason but I fail to understand your logic.

If there are 2 cyclists I would expect there to be around 2 metres, possibly slightly less to pass so surely is would be safer with additional space available.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Completely unworkable and, as mentioned, just a distraction.

Listening to the radio yesterday there were supporters suggesting that cyclists should have insurance for a 'nominal' fee.....since when do insurance companies ever doing anything for a nominal fee?! Before long riding a bike would be just as expensive as driving a car as the insurance companies trot out the standard lines of increasing costs, insurance premium tax etc.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sure you have a good reason but I fail to understand your logic.

If there are 2 cyclists I would expect there to be around 2 metres, possibly slightly less to pass so surely is would be safer with additional space available.

It’s not my logic, it’s the Highway Code which I am pretty sure would have researched it.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the road is wide enough! You cannot do that on single lane country roads.

no you are right, if it’s not safe to overtake you wait.

Personally and my group of riding friends, we would pull over in a hedge if you were stuck behind us for more than a few minutes, BUT if we were doing close to 25/30mph you can stay there, we are not stopping.