Bicycle number plates, insurance, tax etc

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
In my opinion every vehicular Road user of any kind should have to have some form of insurance and some form of licencing.
Any road user is capable of causing a crash..
However, the practicalities of it mean that it simply can't and won't happen.

This I agree with, especially when so many bikes and scooters are electric. If my property is damaged or a pedestrian is injured surely it’s fair that the person responsible has insurance?

As said by other posters though it’s pretty impossible to enforce. Especially when we have almost no visible police force now.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having had £600 of damage done to my car caused by a cyclist trying to squeeze down the side at a set of lights and then shrugging and cycling off, I’d prefer anyone that uses the road, can cause damage to or risk to other road users, to have some sort of coverage/insurance.

Of course, cyclists will say it’s unfair and car drivers are the one and only problem and they never do anything wrong. I just hope that they don’t incur damage caused by an uninsured and ignorant 3rd party.

Along with the mandatory use of helmets that is. Car drivers must wear a seatbelt by law because they increase survival chance in the event of an accident. Why should cycling on a busy road be any different from a risk reduction perspective?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I used to be a road cyclists, I've ridden in France, Belgium and Italy competitively, but no longer ride on the road.. the reason fear!! I'd ask motorists,of which I'm one now have you ever not gone out in your car because of fear of cyclists?

D

Deleted member 23270

Kids cycling without a care in the world....no helmet, no lights, dark clothing, headphones on, diving through traffic and jumping on and off the pavement. Yeah good luck trying to force them to have insurance. Every one that gets taken out is one less moron in the gene pool.

greenone

Visit site
Along with the mandatory use of helmets that is. Car drivers must wear a seatbelt by law because they increase survival chance in the event of an accident. Why should cycling on a busy road be any different from a risk reduction perspective?
I'll wear a helmet on my bike when here is one that is fit for purpose. Currently all bike helmets are made to standards that aren't worth the paper they are written on.

D

Deleted member 23270

I'll wear a helmet on my bike when here is one that is fit for purpose. Currently all bike helmets are made to standards that aren't worth the paper they are written on.
My helmet did me a lot of good judging by the state of it when I flew over a car bonnet.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my opinion every vehicular Road user of any kind should have to have some form of insurance and some form of licencing.
What about a pedestrian on the phone and wearing ear phones ?
Yes one just walked out in front of me .

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Insurance should just cover the person for all vehicles they uses.. cars.. bikes.. motorcycles .. but that wouldnt fit in well with the greed that society is made from

one thing that makes it impossible is that a cycle is one of the main forms of transport for children , cant really get them to get insurance

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Helmets genuinely depend on the type of accident you have. There is a lot of research and noise saying they cause more injuries than they save. Personally, I wear one. Even if it’s a bit of polystyrene with some flash paint on…

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Helmets genuinely depend on the type of accident you have. There is a lot of research and noise saying they cause more injuries than they save. Personally, I wear one. Even if it’s a bit of polystyrene with some flash paint on…
I don't ride any more but when I did, and wore a helmet, I actually felt less safe because the were so damn uncomfortable...
Bear in mind that I used to cycle a huge amount in the 70s and 80s when helmets were rarer.
I felt more comfortable and therefore more safe without..
I assume modern helmets are better.?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Also to make a huge point 'Road tax' does not exist. the roads and infrastructure are paid for via general taxation, your 'car tax' is an emissions-based charge which goes into the general coffers of UK PLC.

Why is it a huge point?
If you want to drive on the road, you must pay a tax, if you don't drive on the road, you don't.
Therefore it is a tax you pay to use the road........road tax.
You are right that the amount you pay depends on the emissions but it's still a road tax in my house.
Call it what you want but don't tell me what to call it.
You'll be telling me I can't call our flag the Union Jack next.

I also think EVs should pay road tax, especially the big SUVs

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mine is a combination of previous replies. I think any form of wheeled transport on public roads should have insurance, and also some form of licencing. As much for the users own benefit as anyone else's. But, I can't see it being in any way practical to bring in. Bikes range from being kiddies toys, to casual, occasional conveyance, exercise equipment, through to serious form of transport. I really don't see any model of implementation that would be suitable for that kind of diverse situation. Motorists have always operated in a highly regulated environment so are fairly easy to deal with - and given they are responsible for the vast majority of wheeled incidents, it seems reasonable that insurance & licencing requirements are imposed on them. That's not to say other wheeled users should be exempt, but the complexities of doing so, means its really never going to be viable.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Why is it a huge point?
If you want to drive on the road, you must pay a tax, if you don't drive on the road, you don't.
Therefore it is a tax you pay to use the road........road tax.
You are right that the amount you pay depends on the emissions but it's still a road tax in my house.
Call it what you want but don't tell me what to call it.
You'll be telling me I can't call our flag the Union Jack next.

I also think EVs should pay road tax, especially the big SUVs

You can call it what you like, but it's not a road tax and hasn't been for almost 100 years.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
You can call it what you like, but it's not a road tax and hasn't been for almost 100 years.

Just nit picking surely? Vehicle excise duty (or car tax) is a charge you have to pay to the government to use the roads. It’s based on a sliding scale based on the emissions your vehicle emits

No one on here is saying it’s ring fenced for maintaining the roads, or “drivers own the roads” but we do have to pay to use them.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it’s needed but unfortunately impractical. I’m often in London on foot and the amount swerving, darting between cars, jumping lights and generally poor awareness of others I would say applies to approx 30% of cyclist. The only areas I see low issues at are those on an uphill gradient where they could do with a rest or junctions entering a dangerous crossing where the cyclist is only worried about themselves. Downhill or flat gradient tarmac is completely different. Some of the worst are ebikes.

We live right on the edge of town where cyclist often use our surrounding lane network, most are very good but I’ve often seen 3 a breast on roads that they know back up and laugh about it, one even looking back and laughing at the tail backs as it’s a windy hill so you could get 30-40 cars back up on what is a clear road normally.

For me town centres need CRZ zones (cyclist recognition zones) because as others have said the have no accountability. Little daisy on her 14” bmx isn’t likely to be ripping around central London, but owns-the-streets Steve is, and there is already sufficient cctv coverage in city centres to police safe cycling.

Ebikes should be registered and taxed as should escooters, it’s motorised. A basic one day cycling awareness course for under 14-16 or learners should allow them to ride the lower power models (different colour number plate) with then a full course being for 16+ but you must have owned a low power model for 2 years minimum (the high power plate colour only available with evidence of licence as they do with car plates) They we designed with 100% practicality in mind with regards to green transport but the yoof’s and abusers screwed it!