Bicycle number plates, insurance, tax etc

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d like to see it just as an annoyance but in reality no matter how much you pay, cyclists will still be the most hated thing on the road.
The proposed tax should pay for better and more cycleways.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If you drive for a living then don't your employer or customers end up paying for it?
It depends. If it's like fuel, I pay for personal mileage, the company pays for business mileage. In addition to the extra tax for having a company car. It's no longer the perk that people seem to think it is. When I get a new car, I look carefully as to which I have to pay the least tax on.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I’d like to see it just as an annoyance but in reality no matter how much you pay, cyclists will still be the most hated thing on the road.
The proposed tax should pay for better and more cycleways.
I have nothing against cyclists who obey the rules of the road. I am sure there are more that obey the rules than don't. It's those who don't that annoy the hell out of me, as I am sure they also annoy responsible cyclists. To balance that, anybody who ignores the highway code annoys the hell out of me.
However, at the moment, if a cyclist causes damage to a vehicle or person, there is no way to get damages (for want of a better word) other than take a civil action against them. And given the way they have changed the highway code, that is now going to be more difficult. That is why I have a dashcam, to try and provide some personal protection for myself in such circumstances.
If there are going to be more cyclists on the road, surely there is an argument for them to be better regulated?

greenone

Visit site
Why is it a huge point?
If you want to drive on the road, you must pay a tax, if you don't drive on the road, you don't.
Therefore it is a tax you pay to use the road........road tax.
You are right that the amount you pay depends on the emissions but it's still a road tax in my house.
Call it what you want but don't tell me what to call it.
You'll be telling me I can't call our flag the Union Jack next.

I also think EVs should pay road tax, especially the big SUVs
Road tax was abolished in the 1930s. And unles your hanging it on a boat it is a Union flag not a Union Jack.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Road tax was abolished in the 1930s.

I'm well aware of that, but that wasn't my point.

And unles your hanging it on a boat it is a Union flag not a Union Jack.

Wrong

''From its earliest days, the Admiralty often referred to the flag – however it was used – as the Union Jack. In 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that either name could be used officially. And in 1908 the UK Parliament approved this verdict, stating that ‘the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag’.

https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/uk-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It depends. If it's like fuel, I pay for personal mileage, the company pays for business mileage. In addition to the extra tax for having a company car. It's no longer the perk that people seem to think it is. When I get a new car, I look carefully as to which I have to pay the least tax on.

It’s almost penalising to have a company car, they often choose the cheapest cars that create a great company image and you get hammered on the tax for the perk. But that’s another thread I’m about to start

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm well aware of that, but that wasn't my point.

Wrong

''From its earliest days, the Admiralty often referred to the flag – however it was used – as the Union Jack. In 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that either name could be used officially. And in 1908 the UK Parliament approved this verdict, stating that ‘the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag’.

https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/uk-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/
Now you just sound like foxholer

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This thread is going entirely to prediction. :D

Why is it the default position of car drivers to always make everyone else change their behaviour?

If cars are the perfect system why are there so many untaxed and uninsured cars on the roads?

Why would people behave any differently in other vehicles?

The issue is not cars or bikes or EVs or horses or tractors or tax or insurance or roads. The issue is a minority of unpunished idiots.

Ban idiots and we’ll all be much better off. ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
This thread is going entirely to prediction. :D

Why is it the default position of car drivers to always make everyone else change their behaviour?

If cars are the perfect system why are there so many untaxed and uninsured cars on the roads?

Why would people behave any differently in other vehicles?

The issue is not cars or bikes or EVs or horses or tractors or tax or insurance or roads. The issue is a minority of unpunished idiots.

I agree everyone has to change their behaviour. I see enough idiot drivers on the road to appreciate that there are problems everywherhere. However, ANPR and vehicle registration at least allows cars to be identified. It's not perfect as plates can be cloned, etc. but there is still SOME system in place. If a cyclist hits a pedestrian, scrapes along a car and causes damage, jumps a red light, breaks the speed limit even, there is no way to identify that cyclist. If I'm being honest, I can't see how a bicycle registration plate system would work as the police are understaffed as is, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't look at ways to try to address the issue.

greenone

Visit site
I agree everyone has to change their behaviour. I see enough idiot drivers on the road to appreciate that there are problems everywherhere. However, ANPR and vehicle registration at least allows cars to be identified. It's not perfect as plates can be cloned, etc. but there is still SOME system in place. If a cyclist hits a pedestrian, scrapes along a car and causes damage, jumps a red light, breaks the speed limit even, there is no way to identify that cyclist. If I'm being honest, I can't see how a bicycle registration plate system would work as the police are understaffed as is, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't look at ways to try to address the issue.
A cyclist has never broken the speed limit. The speed limit only applies to mechanically propelled vehicles.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

So how do you ban an unregistered idiot on a bike/ebike if he’s just jumped a light/junction or squeezed through a gap that wasn’t there and caused £600 worth of damage and rode off (as someone has experienced in this thread)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A cyclist has never broken the speed limit. The speed limit only applies to mechanically propelled vehicles.

Which proves the point perfectly! A cyclist can easily break 30-40mph on a decent flat or downhill road in a zone which could be 20mph only, it becomes even more dangerous in traffic with a clear cycle lane.

greenone

Visit site
So how do you ban an unregistered idiot on a bike/ebike if he’s just jumped a light/junction or squeezed through a gap that wasn’t there and caused £600 worth of damage and rode off (as someone has experienced in this thread)
How do you ban an idiot on foot or a horse. You going to get them to register as well?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The same way you ban an unregistered idiot in a car. You get lucky and they’re caught.

greenone

Visit site
Which proves the point perfectly! A cyclist can easily break 30-40mph on a decent flat or downhill road in a zone which could be 20mph only, it becomes even more dangerous in traffic with a clear cycle lane.
So who is paying to get a calibrated speedo fitted to every bike?

What's a cycle lane got to do with it? Personally I've never used a cycle lane.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

How many cyclists have you come across doing 40mph?