Bicycle number plates, insurance, tax etc

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which proves the point perfectly! A cyclist can easily break 30-40mph on a decent flat or downhill road in a zone which could be 20mph only, it becomes even more dangerous in traffic with a clear cycle lane.

Typical words of a non-cyclist who thinks it’s easy to break 30-40mph.

Edit: 20mph is easy. 30mph is difficult for majority of cyclists. 40mph maybe if you’re in The Tour de France.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So who is paying to get a calibrated speedo fitted to every bike?

What's a cycle lane got to do with it? Personally I've never used a cycle lane.

Hardly an expensive cost of done once a year……

Surely it’s accuracy is based on the engineer/person that fitted it. If they ate anything like the ones I used in my teens, getting the spoke reader incorrect could do wacky stuff.

If the bike is not identifiable then the need for it to be accurate is zero so they are fitted with little care, if however it’s required as you are now liable and responsibly it’s a different story.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Typical words of a non-cyclist who thinks it’s easy to break 30-40mph.

At what point anywhere is my post did I say it was easy, common or the norm?

“ I’ve come across a fair few” is not stating that’s it’s common or easy, but any “true cyclist” will confess that with a decent cycle on a flat road 20mph is pretty comfy to achieve.

greenone

Visit site
I’ve come across a fair few clearly doing excess of 20 & 30 as they have past me while doing the correct speed limits. As someone that drives for a living in congested 20 & 30 zones im quite strict on limits.
Which we have established they are entitled to do. Is it wise? No. Would I do it? Not unless it was approaching the bottom of a big hill

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Notice the downhill part has been left out….

I’m sure London Bridge is 20mph, I often walk across the bridge early morning with cars/taxis etc all doing 20mph yet cyclist (within the cycle lane) are over taking and often jump the junction left into toilet street.

This isn’t a heavy gradient but IS COMMON so IS EASY when on a flat or downhill gradient. Maybe I should have added easily achieved for a fit cyclist is we are going to truest nitpick

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe you could try and break 40 mph on a bicycle downhill and we’ll take the comments more seriously.

I am saying what I see two to three mornings a week, I have not claimed to be able to do it personally or the passion to want to try

Driving alround London is bad enough hence using trains, so if cyclist choose to ride like this then that’s their choice, but please or offend it does put others at risk.

RichA

Visit site
I've been cycling for 40 years, but not so much in the last couple of years because of the unpredictable behaviour of a large minority of motor vehicle drivers.
I once reached 40mph on a road bike. I was riding down a steep road in a remote bit of Oxfordshire with great visibility and knew that there was nobody else anywhere near me. I was in top gear and sustained the speed for about 5 seconds before slowing back down to 20ish because, frankly, it was pretty scary.
Even when I was riding regularly for fitness in my 30s, the fastest sustainable average speed on flat roads was a smidge over 20mph and it definitely wasn't easy.

I've never been hit by a pedal cyclist.
For what it's worth, each of my various cars have suffered paintwork damage from carelessly driven supermarket trolleys. Maybe they should be properly registered and insured.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've been cycling for 40 years, but not so much in the last couple of years because of the unpredictable behaviour of a large minority of motor vehicle drivers.
I once reached 40mph on a road bike. I was riding down a steep road in a remote bit of Oxfordshire with great visibility and knew that there was nobody else anywhere near me. I was in top gear and sustained the speed for about 5 seconds before slowing back down to 20ish because, frankly, it was pretty scary.
Even when I was riding regularly for fitness in my 30s, the fastest sustainable average speed on flat roads was a smidge over 20mph and it definitely wasn't easy.

I've never been hit by a pedal cyclist.
For what it's worth, each of my various cars have suffered paintwork damage from carelessly driven supermarket trolleys. Maybe they should be properly registered and insured.
I'm not sure how relevant that is to anything. People don't ride supermarket trollies on the road.

greenone

Visit site
Classic cyclist attitude. The rules don’t apply to me. (Unless it suits of course)
Er no it's classic understanding of the law. Its why electric bikes have a limiter where assistance cuts out above a certain speed because they are mechanically propelled when the motor is assisting.