Let's tax pensioners

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Few of the older generation have been making comments about younger people having foreign holidays and buying stuff instead of saving for a deposit for a house, being extravagant in effect in their view. Thought it worth mentioning that a foreign holiday to resorts in Spain (Tenerife/Majorca etc) for example is arguably a good bit cheaper than a holiday of the same duration in the UK (which the older generation took back in the day before cheap foreign package hols took off).
Also white goods and furniture are relatively cheap nowadays, wasn't the case back in the day when tvs, cookers, washing machines were a much bigger investment relative to income I believe. Throwaway culture now as things are so cheap.
An awful lot of my parents generation have 3 or 4 foreign holidays a year, good pensions too. My father in law retired at 52 in 1994 with half his leaving salary paid on a monthly basis as a pension for life, that's on top of any state pension he gets now. I could only dream of that.

Some very good points here!

Trips abroad are almost as cheap if not cheaper than trips around the uk. The other side of the argument could be to not holiday full stop until house owning

White goods you again spot on so cheap now days compared

Holiday example for next summer I want the 3 of us to go away.. week in Spain would be about 2k all inclusive.. week in centre Parcs 2k no food, week in haven 1k ish again no food

It’s almost stupid to consider the uk! 2k all in no extras for drinks or food and decent weather almost Guaranteed

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
How much does the latest iphone cost per month?

A lot if you are talking an Iphone X. But I am not sure how many people young people saving up to buy houses have Iphone Xs.

And actually that is not relevant to their challenges as I am sure your next point will be 'they don't need them'. Where as actually a hell of a lot of young people base their lives around their phones nowadays, so it as an essential part of their lifestyle as say a car is to older folk. An increasing amount of young people do not own cars https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/01/...s-for-drop-in-car-ownership-among-young-peop/ . So the money they save on not buying a car they can spend on a smart phone.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A lot if you are talking an Iphone X. But I am not sure how many people young people saving up to buy houses have Iphone Xs.

And actually that is not relevant as I am sure your next point will be 'they don't need them'. Where as actually a hell of a lot of young people base their lives around their phones nowadays, so it as an essential part of their lifestyle as say a car is to older folk. An increasing amount of young people do not own cars as they see them as a waste of money. So the money they save on not buying a car they can spend on a smart phone.

Wrong

My smart phone is £7.50 per month and does everything an iphone does.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

And actually that is not relevant to their challenges as I am sure your next point will be 'they don't need them'. Where as actually a hell of a lot of young people base their lives around their phones nowadays, so it as an essential part of their lifestyle as say a car is to older folk. An increasing amount of young people do not own cars https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/01/...s-for-drop-in-car-ownership-among-young-peop/ . So the money they save on not buying a car they can spend on a smart phone.

I have 2 examples of this
1) one of the young one just got a rose X.. she paid the money upfront.. her reasoning she does not spend it on clothes, housing etc.. so this was a good idea
2) One of neighbour's son (in this early 30s) just got a new shiny BMW.. Was speaking to him and his very valid argument was .. he will never be able to afford a house and he works for the council, so he may as well as splash the cash and have a good life. He is waiting to get the house as inheritance and then move on. I must say... i dont blame him. With the avg house price in the area starting to kiss 7 digits, his parents had to the foresight to buy in a good place about 50 years ago. Council pay will never get him there.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wrong

My smart phone is £7.50 per month and does everything an iphone does.

There is so much wrong with this statement where to begin ..

It does the basics fine yes but it’s like owning a Mac. If your in certain fields a mac will be much better for you than a pc at half the cost because of how it works

You don’t need the latest iPhone infact you can get an iPhone se for £25 a month with decent minutes txts and data

I’ve had a 6s for 3 years now and on a sim only deal for £16.50 a month which covers 12gb data, enough calls and txts.. for £7.50 I would expect the data to be very low and of no use to anyone under the age of 35 for what you can do on them now

Our manager at work runs the entire coverage for the room (365 days a year 24/7) via whatsapp any coverage issues sent out on WhatsApp and replied fast to stop the room closing

All my golf societies are run via WhatsApp

Data is king

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But all your problems can be easily solved by joining an equity release scheme, and you could also benefit when it becomes the next PPI scandal. 

And you get a free pen 

Nothing wrong with equity release other than those who do not read/ fully understand all the terms and conditions. Great deal for mine lifetime 4% interest rate.
My choice -pay the interest (actually it's a repayment of loan capital) or do not pay the interest.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There is so much wrong with this statement where to begin ..

It does the basics fine yes but it’s like owning a Mac. If your in certain fields a mac will be much better for you than a pc at half the cost because of how it works

You don’t need the latest iPhone infact you can get an iPhone se for £25 a month with decent minutes txts and data

I’ve had a 6s for 3 years now and on a sim only deal for £16.50 a month which covers 12gb data, enough calls and txts.. for £7.50 I would expect the data to be very low and of no use to anyone under the age of 35 for what you can do on them now

Our manager at work runs the entire coverage for the room (365 days a year 24/7) via whatsapp any coverage issues sent out on WhatsApp and replied fast to stop the room closing

All my golf societies are run via WhatsApp

Data is king

There is so much wrong with this reply in relation to the OP I'm not even going to begin

I'm out

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is so much wrong with this reply in relation to the OP I'm not even going to begin

I'm out

Just shows the level of understanding between generations for me.. scratch the surface a little about why people buy the “latest” or up to date tech to actually improve their life’s or job and suddenly your out

Funny that

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just shows the level of understanding between generations for me.. scratch the surface a little about why people buy the “latest” or up to date tech to actually improve their life’s or job and suddenly your out

Funny that

Well... If latest tech is required, for work, the employers should be supplying it...

And, 'up to date tech' comes well behind food in the larder, threads to be worn and tiles over the head...

2K holidays... All inclusive or not... Just as much fun to be had for £9.50 with the sun...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well... If latest tech is required, for work, the employers should be supplying it...

And, 'up to date tech' comes well behind food in the larder, threads to be worn and tiles over the head...

2K holidays... All inclusive or not... Just as much fun to be had for £9.50 with the sun...

On one of them now got my wallet nicked been a bundle of laughs

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
since when did you need an iphone and 12gb of data to run whatsapp????

apologies im another oldie who doesnt get it

Was giving one example of how modern tech can be vital

Doesn’t have to be a complete splash the cash or a complete blow the lot

Some live happily in the middle

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Funny that

There was a term coined back in the late 50's/early 60's called planned obsolescence. Apple have made it an art form, even to the extent of deliberately slowing the older generation phones. Basically, people believe the newest model is essential, perhaps, not realising that the previous model will do 90% of what the new version will. And the previous version to that will do 80%.

Then there's what aspects of those devices do we all actually use? Some people, young and old, will use pretty much every tool available.

You've only got to look at the marketing and releases of new drivers/irons to see what planned obsolescence is all about and how we all fall for some aspects of it in areas of our lives.

Me? I'm a coffin dodger trying desperately to avoid all this new tech. Why? Because, truthfully, I just don't need it. I don't need to look at FB or WhatsApp every 5 mins. Hell, I rarely even take the smart phone out of the drawer. The laptop gets a lot of hammer because I rarely watch TV, but I'm just as happy to get a book out.

But did I ever need all that high tech stuff? Hell yes! Uk project manager for the introduction of a new software platform for our engineers, and on-call supporting it for 2 years.

The one thing it taught me was make sure you switch the damn thing off, and make time for proper interactions with people. Great tools but don't let them run your life - they're not essential to living. Strangely enough though, food and a house are.

Mazlow's hierarchy of needs sums it up.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a term coined back in the late 50's/early 60's called planned obsolescence. Apple have made it an art form, even to the extent of deliberately slowing the older generation phones. Basically, people believe the newest model is essential, perhaps, not realising that the previous model will do 90% of what the new version will. And the previous version to that will do 80%.

Then there's what aspects of those devices do we all actually use? Some people, young and old, will use pretty much every tool available.

You've only got to look at the marketing and releases of new drivers/irons to see what planned obsolescence is all about and how we all fall for some aspects of it in areas of our lives.

Me? I'm a coffin dodger trying desperately to avoid all this new tech. Why? Because, truthfully, I just don't need it. I don't need to look at FB or WhatsApp every 5 mins. Hell, I rarely even take the smart phone out of the drawer. The laptop gets a lot of hammer because I rarely watch TV, but I'm just as happy to get a book out.

But did I ever need all that high tech stuff? Hell yes! Uk project manager for the introduction of a new software platform for our engineers, and on-call supporting it for 2 years.

The one thing it taught me was make sure you switch the damn thing off, and make time for proper interactions with people. Great tools but don't let them run your life - they're not essential to living. Strangely enough though, food and a house are.

Mazlow's hierarchy of needs sums it up.

Life changes though.. jobs change.. until 5 years ago the northern line was run on 1960s tech with signals , program machines which if they broke parts were bought on eBay they were that outdated. A timetable and a radio was all you had to run the system

Now there are no signals physically, up to 90 trains per hour in the peak. Can hold a train at a click of a mouse, can Emergancy break a train with 2 clicks. All kinds of advances. We wonder how we ever coped before but we did

Life evolves, and if you stand still for too long it will pass you

My aunt (in her 70s) once said to my uncle we need to get a computer because (her words) how her generation looked at people who couldn’t read or write that will be how you will be looked at if you can’t use a computer. She know owns and uses an iPad aswell.

There are so many advantages of tech they outweigh the disadvantages

Back on the topic part.. people shouldn’t be judged on what they spend their money on. End of the day it’s theirs

I lived at home until 27 all my mates said I should move out because I could. I decided to stay home because I wanted enough to move into a 3 bed semi with room for a loft extension.. because I can’t stand moving .. so that’s what I did

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Life changes though.. jobs change.. until 5 years ago the northern line was run on 1960s tech with signals , program machines which if they broke parts were bought on eBay they were that outdated. A timetable and a radio was all you had to run the system

Now there are no signals physically, up to 90 trains per hour in the peak. Can hold a train at a click of a mouse, can Emergancy break a train with 2 clicks. All kinds of advances. We wonder how we ever coped before but we did

Life evolves, and if you stand still for too long it will pass you

My aunt (in her 70s) once said to my uncle we need to get a computer because (her words) how her generation looked at people who couldn’t read or write that will be how you will be looked at if you can’t use a computer. She know owns and uses an iPad aswell.

There are so many advantages of tech they outweigh the disadvantages

Back on the topic part.. people shouldn’t be judged on what they spend their money on. End of the day it’s theirs

I lived at home until 27 all my mates said I should move out because I could. I decided to stay home because I wanted enough to move into a 3 bed semi with room for a loft extension.. because I can’t stand moving .. so that’s what I did

Surely that includes all the old people who could be taxed again on their pensions?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely that includes all the old people who could be taxed again on their pensions?
But in all likelyhood you/we are already taxed again on your pensions when you get them, if it's above the allowance limit. So you're taxed when you earn it, then taxed again when you get it back after (hopefully) earning a little something on top of it.
Ultimately nothing has changed, it's just a way think tanks amd politicians like to act so we all think they are working in someones best interest and how lucky we might be.