Let's talk putters..

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A lot of talk about the design of drivers and irons and how much more can be achieved from them but not much about putters.
Every few months, Scotty, Odyssey, Ping and the rest throw out more putters that, for the most part, look very much like the previous incarnations.
Back in the day the Anser was a radical step - these days, it seems, every other putter is based on that design. A little more flange at the back, a slightly wider top line etc etc..
The 2-ball was a big change but, again, how many times can you re-invent the wheel.
How many times can you change the insert - can ordinary golfers feel a significant difference between most of them?
Obviously some can and the variety of shapes means there's something to please everyone, but how long will it be before they run out of alternatives?
All a putter does is roll the ball, quite slowly, on a carpet of grass. Most of the tech goes into limiting twisting of the head and producing more roll and less skid. But a large slice of that is wasted due to our technique. Add into that, we are aiming at a small hole in the ground and most of the time we don't make it. From between 8 and 60 feet most of us are going to miss the hole more often than not, leaving a short shot (eventually😁) of not much more than a foot or so. How much "technical" help do we need from that distance..? Miss that and it's down to you not the club.
I suppose what I'm really saying is how much further can putter design go?
What's next?

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone seen peter finch's video on the new odyssey O range with the hooks on the face,
Nice to see someone saying it as it is and all the marketing gumf is just that
You'll have to search for it cause he actually swears :D

I think most club tech has reached it's end and all changes are mostly cosmetic nowadays.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I believe that putting is, 80% technique, 19% between the ears, and 1% tech. You could also argue that the 1% tech is placebo based, so falls into the 'between the ears' category.
Disclaimer:
I have no scientific evidence to back these numbers up.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I believe that putting is, 80% technique, 19% between the ears, and 1% tech. You could also argue that the 1% tech is placebo based, so falls into the 'between the ears' category.
Disclaimer:
I have no scientific evidence to back these numbers up.

assume youre using a bullseye style putter with an old shiny grip on then?

plenty of tech in putters, weighting, moi, alignment, grip etc

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Google is your friend.

Pro at Royal Lytham stocks, fits and helps with technique too.
I think it's like any other golf club , the better the player the better they putt/ drive etc.
i have never met a very low man that could not putt.
most 28 capers three putt a lot, if both guys had identical clubs this would not change.
Lee Westwood ,Sergio Garcia would be major champions if they putted better.
They have all the technology they could want so nerves come into it.
Tech can help but YOU have to wield your putter to putt well.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Putting is the simplest thing in golf, all you are doing is rolling a ball a long the ground in a straight line, that is all you are doing, it's our head that turns it into something frightening and difficult.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it's like any other golf club , the better the player the better they putt/ drive etc.
i have never met a very low man that could not putt.
most 28 capers three putt a lot, if both guys had identical clubs this would not change.
Lee Westwood ,Sergio Garcia would be major champions if they putted better.
They have all the technology they could want so nerves come into it.
Tech can help but YOU have to wield your putter to putt well.

Don't disagree.

But all you're doing is stating the obvious.

No club is a magic wand.

I said the Evnroll tech works.

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Putting is the simplest thing in golf, all you are doing is rolling a ball a long the ground in a straight line, that is all you are doing, it's our head that turns it into something frightening and difficult.

I don't know where you play, but most greens that I see offer anything but a straight putt. It is the skill in judging the line and pace rather than the tech that sinks the ball in the cup.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think it's a bit more than that, personally I like mallet putters for the shorter putts, I like the alignment aids, but I prefer a blade type for distance control. I'd say it's down to feel,looks and technique.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know where you play, but most greens that I see offer anything but a straight putt. It is the skill in judging the line and pace rather than the tech that sinks the ball in the cup.

All that skill is a waste if you don't have a nice, even, roll.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The grooves are space differently from the middle to the ends. Therefore an even roll (not a pun) is maintained from centre or toe/heel strikes

IMHO that's 97.4% tosh, the loss in distance through missing the sweetspot will far outweigh any minuscule change from different depth grooves.
In any event, sound technique will not see a good putter hitting the ball towards the ends of the face.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've noticed a difference in my putting since I had a Quintic fitting and had a putter built around the results by Raa.

Let's be honest, the putting stroke is massively shorter than any other so there will be some level of consistency even at handicap level.

One of the things I've noticed that has helped me is a counter weight in the butt of the grip. My Raa blade has a 400g head with an 80g weight in the butt under a heavy grip.

I agree that tech is severely limited in putters as there is only so much weight you can add or move without the putter looking a bit daft.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com

No the putt may not be straight but you hit it straight with a putter that is all you do, you don't hit it left to right the green moves the ball left or right you hit it straight a certain distance.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IMHO that's 97.4% tosh, the loss in distance through missing the sweetspot will far outweigh any minuscule change from different depth grooves.
In any event, sound technique will not see a good putter hitting the ball towards the ends of the face.

It may well be. I just answered a question