Lesson confusion !!!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all.
I've just had a lesson to sort out my slicey driver and I mentioned that I suffer from a lack of weight shift through the swing.
After a few shots he gave me three things to work on ............................ none of which concerned weight shift.
1. Strengthen my left hand grip, which I totally get.
2. Start my takeaway outside the line to encourage me to drop onto the inside on the way down, which I sort of get.
3. Position the ball 2 or 3 inches inside my left heel, which kind of caught me by surprise a bit.
After hitting a few shots I'd lost my horrid high slice and was hitting gentle fades, which was just what I was after.
But something is nagging away at the back of my brain about the ball position.
It certainly seemed to work, but ................

Any thoughts?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ball back a bit would catch the ball less out to in than ball further forward. Did you not ask about weight shift?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ball back a bit would catch the ball less out to in than ball further forward. Did you not ask about weight shift?

I mentioned this when I arrived but thought 'he's the pro, he knows more than I do'.
I've got it in my head that moving the ball back in my stances negates the need for weight shift.
Maybe I'm over thinking things a bit.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe he thought these points were enough for lesson one. I’d suggest bedding these in for 2-4 weeks, go back to get the progress made assessed and then bring it up with him.

If he feels these are more important then trust him, a wall and a roof are important to any house, but you need to do the foundation work first ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The long and shirt of it is that you are hitting the ball now earlier on the swing arc. Less of a left path.

If you played the ball very far up in the stance you may not have noticed but you could have been opening the shoulders at address.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nothing wrong with trying to understand what a pro tells you to do when fixing your swing.

If you dont understand these things then it's very difficult to fix things on the fly when they go a miss in the middle of a round.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I mentioned this when I arrived but thought 'he's the pro, he knows more than I do'.
I've got it in my head that moving the ball back in my stances negates the need for weight shift.
Maybe I'm over thinking things a bit.

A good pro will improve your game by apparently changing as little as possible.
For example........
If I told someone to finish his swing in a balanced position, that would probably
shorten his backswing,
ease back on the power,
improve his weight transfer
improve the rhythm
improve the balance
improve the conistency
One swing thought.

I think that's what your pro has done.
He's improved your ball flight by 2 tweaks to your set up and one swing thought, and it works.
The ballflight doesn't lie

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have to be comfortable with what you are being taught otherwise you will keep going back to your way.
However there are many ways to get rid of a slice.
I would have asked about weight transfer,lessons are a two way conversation 100%.
If he’s not explaining what he’s teaching then he’s not teaching imo

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have to be comfortable with what you are being taught otherwise you will keep going back to your way.
However there are many ways to get rid of a slice.
I would have asked about weight transfer,lessons are a two way conversation 100%.
If he’s not explaining what he’s teaching then he’s not teaching imo

Don't get me wrong, all the changes he wanted me to make had a reason for them.
I'm playing on Monday, I guess I'll find out then!
I was just surprised at the ball position 2 or 3 inches inside my lead heel.
The teacher said it was to make contact earlier in the arc with less of a stretch.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
A good pro will improve your game by apparently changing as little as possible.
For example........
If I told someone to finish his swing in a balanced position, that would probably
shorten his backswing,
ease back on the power,
improve his weight transfer
improve the rhythm
improve the balance
improve the conistency
One swing thought.

I think that's what your pro has done.
He's improved your ball flight by 2 tweaks to your set up and one swing thought, and it works.
The ballflight doesn't lie

This.

Pros are magicians.

You may have read about my iron woes about a week ago (or perhaps not - basically, they were all over the place).

I went for a lesson a few days ago, and my pro said, “I want you to turn your left (lead) knee inwards on the backswing - quite a lot”.

Unconventional, I thought, but hey ho...it was sheer magic. Suddenly, instead of hitting everything fat or thin, every shot was solid contact.

I had no idea why he said that, so I asked. Apparently I’d developed a pretty bad “reverse pivot”, and this one change forced a sequence of corrections that I didn’t even need to think about consciously.

Of course, they’re not magicians, they just understand the mechanics of the human body and the golf swing at a very, very deep level.

I’m sure if you ask him the reasons he’s made the changes, he’ll explain it really well, and will also explain why he hasn’t addressed your weight transfer...or maybe the changes he suggested actually did address it!

Bottom line: enjoy your improvements!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bottom line is you'll have to trust him if you want to take the new swing onto the course. If you stand there questioning the ball position you'll never swing with commitment

I'm playing on Monday and I'll definitely be using the new ball position, grip and take away.
I'm really looking forward to it.