Lake balls

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Anyone got any decent sites or eBay sellers for lake balls?

Someone had already recommended premierlakeballs.com - has anyone ordered from there before and if you have can you say how accurate their condition descriptions are?

D

Deleted member 16999

I’ve used Premierlakeballs for years, excellent service and never had an issue, balls are exactly as advertised.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another shout out for premierlakeballs usually accurate with their discription of condition I normally go for AA grade.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Both companies mentioned are as good as you will find. You always get the odd ball or two which don't match the description but in general you will be happy with 99% of them.

A point touched on above. For years I used them all the time. Then I got 2 dud balls in one round. The balls felt and sounded dead off the tee and dropped out of the sky at about 100 yards. I knew something was wrong, but carried on with them during that hole as of course I had no choice. Shots of the irons where the same - ball flight strange, sound and feel very odd and they just dropped as soon as they reached their peak. I changed to a new ball next hole and everything back to normal.

I have not touched a lake ball since (4 years). It was a one off experience, granted, but I can't stand on every tee box wondering if this is a dead ball

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I'm still new to the game and losing a few each round so at the moment the price is more important than having a few bad ones!

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are on Facebook look up some of the golf selling groups, loads of folk selling balls cheap and non lake balls.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Having used lake balls in the past I’m not sure if it’s in my head but they feel “dead” compared to non lake balls. Not all of them though some I would end up throwing away as they just didn’t feel right
I think it's 'in your head'!

I don't trust 'Refinished' balls however! Almost all of those (I've had 1 that was fine) feel dead/not right!

As for suppliers...those previously mentioned have been very reliable for me.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Unless your using premium balls there is no need to buy lakeballs. New balls can be bought for a similar price when you shop smart....sales, coupons, bulk etc etc

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
If you're new to the game or have no great ambition be the best you can be then lake balls are fine, otherwise, avoid.

Last edited:

Dannyc

Visit site
During a Titleist ball fitting I attended at my club they told me don’t bother with lake balls but I suppose they would say that 🤷🏿‍♂️

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unless your using premium balls there is no need to buy lakeballs. New balls can be bought for a similar price when you shop smart....sales, coupons, bulk etc etc
I've just bought 40 Taylormade Burner pearl and A grade for 32p each. Even with coupons and deals you can't get close to that new. £1 a ball new is about as cheap as you can get new. 12 new balls against 36 good lake balls. I'll take the 36 :D

There is a place for lake balls and those who buy them know what they are buying and are quite happy with them.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've just bought 40 Taylormade Burner pearl and A grade for 32p each. Even with coupons and deals you can't get close to that new. £1 a ball new is about as cheap as you can get new. 12 new balls against 36 good lake balls. I'll take the 36 :D

There is a place for lake balls and those who buy them know what they are buying and are quite happy with them.

I have bought a mix of Pearl and A grade several times. You cannot compare this mix to a new ball.

Take my ball for example - how much will you pay for used balls. Last 2 sales went for 20 quid a dozen for a mix of pearl/ A grade (check ebay sold listings). I buy them new for £21 dozen .....at times last year for 19. Just look at what these sell for used on Ebay

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A point touched on above. For years I used them all the time. Then I got 2 dud balls in one round. The balls felt and sounded dead off the tee and dropped out of the sky at about 100 yards. I knew something was wrong, but carried on with them during that hole as of course I had no choice. Shots of the irons where the same - ball flight strange, sound and feel very odd and they just dropped as soon as they reached their peak. I changed to a new ball next hole and everything back to normal.

I have not touched a lake ball since (4 years). It was a one off experience, granted, but I can't stand on every tee box wondering if this is a dead ball
I Have always thought (and indeed was told by a Titleist rep) that there will be an element of degradation which may explain why your balls acted as they did. The problem is you never know how long they've been submerged for. I can understand why a newbie to golf would want to go fir these as they are cheap. However as soon as there is an element of competency I'd be looking to get some new, cheap balls. Plenty of decent models out there

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm currently on my 3rd out of 40 pearl zstars. Just over £1 a ball. I.use them in the winter when comps/ knockouts etc have largely finished. They are great. The reason I use these rather then new budget balls for a similar price is that the feel off putters and short irons is far better.

Each to their own, but I'm no chopper and it's worth it for me.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree premium balls are not easy to get at a good price. I play premium in the golf season and a cheaper ball in winter. My winter ball is DX2.

Had a look at used selling on Ebay - was rather shocked at what people are paying there for a mix of pearl/grade A. Last sale someone paid £10.95 for 10 (not even a dozen) used pearl/grade A. If they looked on new they would see that click golf (ebay site and own site) are selling 3for2 making them around £10.70 for a dozen new.

I'm not saying that used balls are not good value - but often with deals (new balls) you can get very close to the used price assuming your buying all pearl balls and not a mix of grade A

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This subject pos up quite often and always makes me laugh. You don’t use lake balls because you think that they don’t ‘work ‘ properly. However, how do you know that the shiny new looking pro v1 you found in the rough and have been using hasn’t already spent ages at the bottom of a pond in Florida?

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
This subject pos up quite often and always makes me laugh. You don’t use lake balls because you think that they don’t ‘work ‘ properly. However, how do you know that the shiny new looking pro v1 you found in the rough and have been using hasn’t already spent ages at the bottom of a pond in Florida?

Because I use brand new vice balls?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have bought a mix of Pearl and A grade several times. You cannot compare this mix to a new ball.

Take my ball for example - how much will you pay for used balls. Last 2 sales went for 20 quid a dozen for a mix of pearl/ A grade (check ebay sold listings). I buy them new for £21 dozen .....at times last year for 19. Just look at what these sell for used on Ebay
If you are paying £20 a dozen for lake balls then clearly you may as well buy new. I made it clear that I pay a fraction of that, always have. Maximum I've ever paid is 45p a ball, always a mix of pearl and A. I buy in winter when prices are lower, always Callaway, Srixon or Taylormade. If you dig around it's not hard. If you want mint pro v1's then clearly you pay more but bargains are out there.

Never quite sure why some are so anti lake balls. Don't buy them if you don't want to but plenty of us are very happy using them. Let us be.